• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Side Saddles and Shell Holders

Talon Tactical stock compatible with side-saddle?

I've seen a lot of side-saddle shell holders say they require a "tactical" fore-end, or that the stock fore-end be cut down. Is the fore-end that comes with the talon stock ( http://tinyurl.com/438lztc ) compatible with these systems?

Everything I've read about this stock and the SpecOps stock tells me I'd prefer this one, but I want to make sure I can install a side saddle at the same time...

Thanks!

Re: Talon Tactical stock compatible with side-saddle?

That’s a tough one. It looks to me that it comes back over the receiver…. Who makes the side saddle you want and how many does it hold? Seems like I have seen some 4 shot saddles that don’t go all the way to the front of the receiver. You could just live with the stock forend and find another way to mount whatever you want to put on the rails of the ATI forend

Re: Re: Talon Tactical stock compatible with side-saddle?

BigFatGuy said:
I've seen a lot of side-saddle shell holders say they require a "tactical" fore-end, or that the stock fore-end be cut down. Is the fore-end that comes with the talon stock ( http://tinyurl.com/438lztc ) compatible with these systems?

Everything I've read about this stock and the SpecOps stock tells me I'd prefer this one, but I want to make sure I can install a side saddle at the same time...

Thanks!

No if i remember correctly it overlaps the receiver. Choate machine and tool make black synthetic forends that do not overlap the receiver. These can be found at http://www.riflestock.com. Perhaps someone else could also chime in and be of some further assistance?
Sent with Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

oli700 said:
That’s a tough one. It looks to me that it comes back over the receiver…. Who makes the side saddle you want and how many does it hold? Seems like I have seen some 4 shot saddles that don’t go all the way to the front of the receiver. You could just live with the stock forend and find another way to mount whatever you want to put on the rails of the ATI forend

I'm seriously thinking about the Vang Comp velcro/elastic carrier.
http://www.shop.vangcomp.net/product.sc ... tegoryId=7

Looking back at the description, this one doesn't say it requires a special fore-end, and in the photos the fore-end does seem to overlap a bit... I might be in luck!

That’s a great choice. Lucky for you ATI is very active on this site and if you PM them or post in their section I bet you get a for sure answer from the source. One thing with the Vang carrier you can move it around on the velcro some…might be able to move it far enough back to clear….good luck and let us know what you find out

Those are just what the doctor ordered.......

Glad to help

Re: Mesa Tactical Shell Holder

I've got the same "side sattle" as we call them up here, but yeah its a nice peice of machining work that really tops off the quick load factor aswell as makin 'er look meaner. Plus Mesa has cool decals.I'll put up my 590 pics soon... just joined seems like a cool site

Welcome aboard.

Be sure to stop by the new members sub-forum and introduce yourself to the crowd.

Welcome to MO! Def dont hesitate gettin those pics up, and it is a cool spot to call "home"!!!

Thanks for the review, and your picture of the rubber strip on the inside just sealed the deal. My 870 rides in the trunk so I cant have things shaking loose. Was thinking about going with a Tac Star but not too fond of plastic on my firerms, and other then plastic on plastic friction, not much holding the shells in place. Just goes to show you that you get what you pay for.

NCLawman said:
Thanks for the review, and your picture of the rubber strip on the inside just sealed the deal. My 870 rides in the trunk so I cant have things shaking loose.
Then don't leave shells in the Mesa. You can also insert wire into the silicon tubing, or replace the silicon tubing with RC car fuel line. Otherwise, you can end up with the OEM tubing dumping shells if you keep them in there all the time. Especially in vehicle storage.
Was thinking about going with a Tac Star but not too fond of plastic on my firerms, and other then plastic on plastic friction, not much holding the shells in place.
The Mesa relies on pretty much the exact same thing. And there are TacStars that have had years of service without issues.
Just goes to show you that you get what you pay for.
Yes, to a point.

In spite of my aversion to anything in which the name includes the word "tactical" I think I will be getting me one of these for my dept issued 4+1 Model 500. Awesome looking design, maybe the best I've seen!

............. Well, maybe not, after reading their webz-ite:

SureShell shotshell carriers for the Mossberg fit on the left side of the receiver only. You must use a tactical forend that does not significantly overlap the receiver, or a factory forend that is cut down appropriately. SureFire forends will work fine with no alterations.

I'll have to look into that since I probably can't alter a department shotgun forend.

I wonder too why they photographed their shell carrier product line (which they say is their biggest selling item in their lineup) with slugs inserted wrong side up/backwards in their Tactical Shell Carriers?

Damn, they look very well made and extremely well executed in design. I would really like to have one!

Nite as long as your departmental shotgun has the spool type forearm it should be fine. Easy way to check is to see if the forearm extends past the forward edge of the receiver when fully retracted. If it doesn't, you're fine.

nitesite said:
I wonder too why they photographed their shell carrier product line (which they say is their biggest selling item in their lineup) with slugs inserted wrong side up/backwards in their Tactical Shell Carriers?

Damn, they look very well made and extremely well executed in design. I would really like to have one!

Brass up makes more since to me for all rounds, even if they are mixed. When things start wearing out they are less apt to fall out while shooting. Might not be as efficient loading from a firing position but with practice it should be close to the same.....imo

Now that I am casting and loading ALL my 00 and slugs , it’s hard to index or tell by feel so I have been forced to separate my buck and slugs and decided to carry just slugs in the carrier and load the tube with buck…..at least till I start to roll crimp my slugs down the road.

You know, the Lightfield Home Defense and their other specialty shotgun ammo is so lightweight that you would never have to worry about each shell's total mass tugging it out of a sidesaddle carrier no matter the confuguration of the carrier.

I think it's possible that Lightfield is credible ammo to consider if Less Lethal is a requisite. Check them out at the banner ad on top, or check the vendor arena for a link.

My department is sitting on a small cache of their LL shotgun ammo for testing when we can break loose and give it a go.

Back