• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590A1 Pump Action Build Thread

Re: 590 Trigger Jobs??

Thanks guys. I was hoping that I would not have to send the guns away for trigger work but.
I took the trigger apart on one of them to see if polishing them up would help. It did not. Crap. lol
The trigger group is a bear to get back together.

I still cant believe no one makes an after market spring kit or replacement trigger.

The trigger pull on my 500 isn't too bad, but feels like it has a half mile of takeup before it fires.

I wouldnt say mine is bad either, but I dont think it has much take up in it at all.

FWIW, this is what the trigger group on mine looked like after Mike sent it back to me. He polished a lot of the mating surfaces, BUT he knows what he's doing and how to keep the gun safe and in spec. There were other areas polished as well, and the pins and springs were replaced.

aimprotriggergroup.jpg

Hey M24, I know its good to keep things clean & not to sound to noobish but, what are the advantages of getting your trigger group polished, is it just a pull thing. Also sum1 mentioned playing around w/it could make it unsafe. Now, I recently pulled mine out to give the gun a good cleaning, I didnt take it all apart or anything like that could I have unknowingly done anything to make it "unsafe"?? What do ya'll mean by unsafe, like no pull at all or something along those lines?? I haven't shot it since.

Hey Jimmy! :)

Pulling it for routine cleanin is gonna be fine. Its when you begin tryin to take it apart for modification, or if I were to try takin it apart!

jimmycrackcorn said:
Hey M24, I know its good to keep things clean & not to sound to noobish but, what are the advantages of getting your trigger group polished, is it just a pull thing. Also sum1 mentioned playing around w/it could make it unsafe. Now, I recently pulled mine out to give the gun a good cleaning, I didnt take it all apart or anything like that could I have unknowingly done anything to make it "unsafe"?? What do ya'll mean by unsafe, like no pull at all or something along those lines?? I haven't shot it since.
The mating surfaces of the FCG can be a little rough. It is a mass production gun intended for duty and fleet service. It is not a finely machined precision item. Polishing the surfaces, making sure the springs are good, and putting quality pins in make sure that the FCG will be functional and have a little better feel to it and be a little lighter.
Pulling the FCG out isn't going to make it unsafe. Breaking it down further can if you don't put it together right.

Thanks for the info Guys.

I dont know where it belongs, so MODS feel free to move it, but I have another question, possibly reguarding the FTG. Maybe the polishing & fine tuning takes cares of this little issue. Well, you know how the 590 has some slop in the forend in a side to side direction & a little slop in a front to back direction when the action is closed... When I chamber a shell, if I dont concsiously keep a little foward pressure on the forend making sure its as foward as it can possible go after being locked into loaded position (in otherwords keeping any play all the way foward & not just where it naturally lands), when I pull the trigger its as if the firing pin wont reach the primer & it doesnt fire. Then I have to recycle the shell.

When shooting, my body naturally wants to pull back on the forend a bit, helping to snug the buttstock against shoulder. So, forend hand pushing forend foward & rest of trigger hand w/exception of trigger finger pulling the stock back to snug against shoulder is an awkward body movement. Its like, rub your belly & pat your head @the same time.. all while getting a check weld, aquiring target, aiming & shooting. Maybe its just me, maybe its the gun, but something dont seem right w/that.

Anyone follow that, its kind of hard to explain. Maybe someone has had the same problem.

If the shell is chambered it should absolutely fire. No amount of play should prevent that. I have a couple ideas... let me think on it for a bit. Guys, anyone else wanna trouble shoot this one?

On the firing;
Ideally push forward with your support hand on the forend while pulling back with your firing hand to seat the gun into your chest, or where kinda where your pec and shoulder meet up. Move around a little and youll feel the muscle there. Keep 4 points of contact, Cheek weld, support hand pushing forward, firing hand pulling back, and the recoil pad in your chest. You can practice with inert ammo/dummy rounds or with the gun dry. You can do this at home, just take care to clear the firearm! Stuff happens...

It seems unnatural, but with practice it become muscle memory and 2nd nature.

I'll come back to the other stuff, but I gotta get my honey-do's done!

Hey Rossi

Ahh I C.. Pushing foward is the correct movement. Yeah muscle memory, I got ya.

Yeah, the honey-do is better than the dog house! You better get off the pc & cracking! I'll Ttyl. Thanks bud.

One way to think of it is imagine you are trying to stretch the shotgun on its long axis. Push/pull. This helps to counter recoil, and will keep you from locking the fore end up by pulling back on it when firing.

M24
When you say "locking the forend up" is that whats happening on my Mossy, thats why Im getting this misfire like issue..? Im thinking like Rossi said, it should go boom no matter which way im pulling on it, right? At least you would think so.. Ive never shot anyone elses'

BTW, Its an 590A1 18incher if that makes any diff.

Actually... Now that the gears are grinding, about 10yrs ago afew months after I had first bought it, I had a small screw fall out of the receiver & jamm up in there. Being my first firearm & a noob I just brought it to a gunsmith. When I got it back it worked fine then I noticed the misfire like issue revolving around the forend. I never noticed the problem before I had brought it in for the screw issue.

Time for an update! I've had a couple recent questions about what I have on my 590A1 recently...

Most questions I get are in regard to the ERGO trirail forend, AFG, and the Hogue stock.

As far as the AFG goes, there are other options in lieu of the AFG. Magpul also has the XTM rail cover style hand stop. Other options include XTM panels and the hand stop pieces from Gear Sector.

There are lots of possibilities and the reason I mention it is because I have on occassion slammed my index finger into the front stop. I found out the hard way that benching the shotgun, resting the forend as I normally would on my support hand is kinda a bad idea with the AFG. It actually cut my knuckle. Now, with all the shooting I've done, this has literally happened only like 3 times. I always practice the push/pull method which will normally negate this issue, as long as youre consistent on the push/pull.

I still very much like the ERGO trirail as it allows the customization of the forend and given the paragraph above, I may explore some other options. The ERGO trirail is the "medium" length for standard (7 + inch, 7 5/8" maybe) action slide tubes. Cant go wrong with the ERGO and ERGO CS has always been supportive whenever I've had questions.

As for the Hogue, its the short (12") LOP. Man, the Hogue is a dream, never an issue! I had heard before to be careful about wrapping your thumb around the grip becuase of the possibility of smacking your nose. I've bumped my nose once.

The short LOP has helped with a couple things;
I'm not terribly tall, I'm 5' 10" and the 12" stock has made it possible to get square behind the gun instead of havin to stand bladed. Being able to square up to the gun has helped reduce felt/perceived recoil. I cant say emphasize enough how much this has helped improve handling full power loads and staying on target through repeat/follow up shots.

Now, I'll also add that the VCS in conjuction with the Hogue, I feel, has added to the dramatically improved handling. I have video and pictures from firing at night where the gasses being ported through the VCS are visible. No doubt in my mind this contributes to reducing muzzle climb.

Something I've changed recently was to eliminate the receiver end plate sling adapter from ERGO. I was havin problems with some stock twist. I got a longer bolt to make sure it threaded far enough into the receiver and was always certain it was properly snug. Its just the way it mated between the receiver and stock that the Hogue was never really locked in. I know of folks who use end plate adapters from other companies and havent had any problems at all. For me, the best solution was to remove it and I dont intend to use anything else...

I've gone to the Specter Gear SOP sling rather than the single point from Botach I had been using since I had done away with the sling adapter. I'm gonna try the sling while hunting this year and see if its as helpful and if I can use it as effectively as I did the single point despite obvious differences between the two styles. If I had to pick on the Specter Gear sling, it would be the adapter that wraps the stock. It doesnt entirely interfer, but it isnt perfect either. The sling does allow the option of removing the wrap and goin directly to a standard sling swivel.

So thats where I am, I may yet change a couple minor things down the road centering around the forend to better improve and customize handling. Otherwise I'm very happy with the way it is!!!

Any work needed to get the ergo forend on? Saw another post here somewhere saying that it is hard to find a forend that fits the 590a1 due to the heavier barrel. Thanks.

There was no modification needed to fit the ERGO forend, but I've been told the Hogue required some light dremmeling.

The ERGO doesn't wrap the action slide tube enough for the barrel to interfere. Id have to look at a Hogue for a better idea as I've not tried it on a 590A1.

Right. I was thinking it should be easy since its 3 sided. I remember reading the hogue needed work but couldn't remember the brand that it was. Thanks. If I wanted to drop an 835 barrel in the a1 (wanna try clay shooting at some point) it would still need to be the 5 round mag tube correct? I only ask because I read an older post on here saying that OFM was coming out with some newer barrels. Without changing the mag tube, would I only be able to swap the barrel if I had the 6 shot model? Or has that changed?

tomcat said:
Right. I was thinking it should be easy since its 3 sided. I remember reading the hogue needed work but couldn't remember the brand that it was. Thanks. If I wanted to drop an 835 barrel in the a1 (wanna try clay shooting at some point) it would still need to be the 5 round mag tube correct? I only ask because I read an older post on here saying that OFM was coming out with some newer barrels. Without changing the mag tube, would I only be able to swap the barrel if I had the 6 shot model? Or has that changed?

That is a good question Tomcat.. I also have been wondering the same thing as I've been trying to find myself a compatible barrel with a GRS front post already installed. There are alot of variables to consider when trying to do that sort of transition. I guess it would all depend on your original barrel length & the mag tube length the 835 has. Also another variable would be whether the 835 lugs are set up like the 500 or like the 590, but it does look like they are the same style lugas the 590 family . Just don't quote me on that. So if i was to guess, I would say yeah, U can do that as long as mag tubes are the same. I don't think it would work with a 20''bbl though.

What did you hear about new barrels anyways? Any GRS options for the 18''bbl 590 or the A1? :?::?:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

You guys are right.

The 835 magazine is the same as 590 5 round magazines. So its possible to get an 835 and pick up a 590 18 1/2" barrel or an 18 1/2" 590 and get an 835 barrel.

But they have to be 5 round guns.

Rossignol said:
You guys are right.

The 835 magazine is the same as 590 5 round magazines. So its possible to get an 835 and pick up a 590 18 1/2" barrel or an 18 1/2" 590 and get an 835 barrel.

But they have to be 5 round guns.

Hey Rossi.. Have heard anything about those new barrels Mr. Tomcat be talking bout? Also.. How do i get my hands on the FLEX accessories? I haven't seen them anywhere & mossy don't advertise them in their parts site.. (How about their new web design...Uggh. Impossible to navigate & get correct specs)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Back