• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 800 Accuracy vs Today's Rifles

Long Post, Sorry! In the September Shooting Times Magazine, they took three examples of six popular bolt action rifles--a total of 18 rifles--in a real, well, shoot out comparison. One of the tests was for average accuracy in 3-shot groups. The findings:
1. Savage 114 - 1.33"
2. Winchester 70 - 1.53"
3. Browning X-Bolt - 1.73"
4. CZ-USA 550 - 1.76"
5. Ruger 77 Hawkeye - 1.89"
6. Remington 700 - 2.33"

Now they shot 18 rifles using 3 shooters and these were the averages achieved. I have 5 (sort of) model 800s, three are sporter rifles and two are varmint versions. I haven't shot them for a while but I was curious to see how the sporters, two in .308 and one in .243 would do in comparison. Now I didn't want to spend the time to do multiple groups so here was the drill; since the rifles haven't been shot in quite some time, I cleaned them, shot one fouling shot and then one shot at a target. If the shot is on paper, I fired two more for a three shot group. That would be the group for comparison, good or bad. All first rounds were on paper and in fact since it started snowing harder, I skipped the fouling shot for the Revelation R220A and just shot three rounds for record.

My dad bought me my first rifle, a Mossberg 800 .243 with a 4X Mossberg scope in 1968 for $124. The day of the test was not ideal with some wind and light blowing snow.
800BSM-1.jpg
800BSM-Scope1.jpg
800BSM-Tgt.jpg

Next up is my 880A New Haven, a lower cost in house version of the 800.
880A1.jpg
880AID.jpg
880ATgt.jpg

The third was a full-stock version of the 800 made for Western Auto.
R220A1.jpg
R220AID.jpg
RevelationTgt.jpg

Well if these were tested with the modern rifles, that would have placed them 1st, 2nd and 4th on the revised list. Not too bad for 40 year old "low buck" rifles. Mossberg, more gun for the money! :D

WHOA!! I love that full stock! I've only seen a few stocks like that, and there is something about them that just makes me happy inside! haha :p

Not too bad shooters either! Good Results in my book that'll take out a deer!

Back