• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Accessories...

Hmmm. I'm not sure which part Dan is referring too, but it begs the question of assembly of the piston and rings, their joint alignment. I think they're carbide rings, tough, but brittle. Barrel gas ports clear? Check earlier maintenance & repair posts for correct assembly. Factory stock is baseline, anything else can effect operation. Proceed carefully.

Zero dark 30 is looming, must sleep. Very important for older people. Did I just say that?

Your piston should have two gas rings on it. One ring will be the larger outer ring and then the smaller inner ring. Make sure the taper of both rings faces toward the end of the barrel.

Holy cow...I finally made it through this whole thread :eek: There's a wealth of valuable info. in here! Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

I hope to post some reviews/ideas as I get my build going. I just received my first little "mod" today: TDI BK2 1" TacLight mount (identical to the EMA PL2 mount, but TDI is the actual manufacturer). Found it on eBay for $17 shipped, which is about half the cost elsewhere - even Cheaperthandirt wanted $15 + another $15 S&H. Seems pretty damn sturdy, and I like the slide-locks on each side.

IMG_20140523_190632_909.jpg

IMG_20140523_190749_199.jpg

IMG_20140523_190840_341.jpg

I am still waiting on the cheap little barrell/tube clamp to arrive, and then get the Taclight itself - EagTac T200C2 UM-L2 U2 (currently backordered from my local EagTac guy). That thing is gonna be BADASS!!! Great output, decent runtime, simple, and effective for what I need. You guys might start to notice something about me as I post more and more....I am cheap (frugal). I will wait for the best deal, or search until I find the best price. I love DIY mods, and I want my 930 to be simple and effective as a dual-purpose fun range/target gun as well as practical/tactical HD option. I am HOPING to get it where I want for under $800 (incl. the $500 I paid for the 930 spx itself)

Patience = less ($). Sometimes hard to do, especially if you are goal orientated.
I definitely understand that...I am trying not to be impulsive with this. Of course I look at things like the ETA or Aimpro rails or the ATI stock coming out and think "that would look cool", but they really aren't necessary or practical for what I need. KISS

Last edited:
So I took the Roadblocker barrel off to look at it again, and I noticed something.

This is the original OEM barrel that came on my 930 JM.
Note the two holes coming from the barrel:
2014-05-24%2019.38.19.jpg

Here is the same area on the Roadblocker:

2014-05-24%2019.35.25.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any way for gas to get back into the system to cycle the action.

Am I missing something?
Do I have a messed up Roadblocker barrel?

It appears the barrel was not tapped with gas ports... Or the gas ports are covered by a ring of some type.

My guess is that the ports were never drilled.

So I took the Roadblocker barrel off to look at it again, and I noticed something.

This is the original OEM barrel that came on my 930 JM.
Note the two holes coming from the barrel:
2014-05-24%2019.38.19.jpg

Here is the same area on the Roadblocker:

2014-05-24%2019.35.25.jpg

There doesn't seem to be any way for gas to get back into the system to cycle the action.

Am I missing something?
Do I have a messed up Roadblocker barrel?
You should be able to see the ports if you shine a light into the receiver and look down the barrel (Disclaimer - always make sure the firearm is unloaded :)).

I stripped my SPX last night to clean it for the first time, and spent a lot of time inspecting everything. I could clearly see both gas ports while looking down the barrel.

Take a hooked dental pick and see if there is a ring stuck in the gas system. Also take a pick of your piston that was removed from that barrel and post it here please.

So I just got off the phone with Mossberg CS.

I got a bum barrel somehow.

They are sending out a new one that actually has a functioning/existing gas system.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Wow, that's crazy.

Pretty big oversight for the quality control inspector, but at least Mossberg is taking care of it :)

That was exactly the comment I made to the tech I spoke to.

When this is over, I will expect someone to tell me how the QA process is supposed to work.

Nah, I was sincerely wishing you good luck.

Several of us have been hanging around here and dealing with Mossberg for years and none of us have been able to crack that nut yet. The only thing Mossberg has been consistent with is being inconsistent...

That is not encouraging to hear.

Add to all this the fact that it seems like their phone system is jacked up.

Well whenever they get around to sending me a new barrel we will get to the next phase of this journey.

Not trying to be discouraging, but it's the honest truth.

Many of us have had great experiences with their products and customer service, but some have had the complete opposite. I have no doubt they'll get your barrel issue squared away, but getting answers about their QC issues will likely prove challenging...

There aren't any holes!!!

The bore is 100% smooth, there is no way for gas to get from the barrel or the breech or anywhere. They are simply not there. If there was something occluding it, that would be one thing, but the bastard simply ain't there!

Back