• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Barrels

Hi all,

Sorry for posting what must sound like a silly newb question but is it O.K. to shoot slugs through a barrel with chokes installed or will they damage chokes or barrel? The gun is a 930 SPX I own and I bought a 24" JM Pro barrel for it for shooting clays. I've shot slugs through the original straight barrel but I've never used a barrel that utilized chokes before so I don't know what the do's and don'ts are and the new barrel came with no instructions or warnings about slug use. The range I usually go to has recently changed policy and now all shotguns must be 24" minimum or honestly I wouldn't have bothered with it.

Thanks for your reply's in advance. I like the new forum format BTW. A vast improvement. the old one was a bit hard on the eyes. :)

Lon.

Howdy Lon.

Did your JM Pro barrel come with the Accu-Set chokes (improved cylinder, modified, and full)? If it only came with one it's usually the modified choke. Either way, you are good to go. Only thing you absolutely don't want to do is shoot through the barrel with no choke installed as this could damage the threads. Foster type rifled slugs are soft enough to compress through any of the choke sizes listed above. However, with the full choke the slugs may deform to a degree that could affect your accuracy. For your situation though, I'd stick with the improved cylinder or modified choke for range use...

Yes, it came with the Accu-chokes. Honestly I don't know what a "Foster" type slug is. I just have a few boxes a friend gave me. Remington 1oz. rifled slugs. I just picked up the boxes and while most of them say to follow the firearm manufacturer instructions there was one older box that said choke use is O.K. right on the back. I guess I should have looked closer.

Thanks for the info.

Lon.

Good deal.

Here's a couple pics showing the two most common types of rifled slugs...

slugs 2.jpg

slugs.jpg

Either type is very soft in composition and will be perfectly safe to shoot through your barrel with chokes installed...

There has been so much confusion over the right choke for slugs..Each gun will shoot better with one it likes so it's really hard to say one is better than another.In the end you just have to test them and see.Never use a extra full turkey choke but a few guns work well with a full choke. Best bet is to start is with a improve cylinder like LES said. In the end you have to judge what is acceptable accuracy.If you Google 'slug shooting techniques' you'll find its different from clays and bird hunting and you WILL save a little money and your shoulder. So far my best accuracy is with a improved modified tube but I just got a Carlsons rifled choke I think will really,really help with some rifled/foster slugs and maybe even some of the slower sabots.

I'm new to this forum and I just purchased a 930 tactical 5 shot. I'm just wondering if I should expect any issues when I swap back and forth between the 18-1/2" tactical barrel and a 28" hunting/clays barrel?

I have the 28" waterfowl model and I have no issues swapping back and forth with my 18.5" barrel. They are meant to interchange.

Your point of aim may be a little different.

Does anyone know of an online source that has an 18.5" barrel for the 930 in stock? Part/model number 93020, I believe, for matte finish with bead sight, but any 18.5 barrel that works would be acceptable. It's a normal 930, not spx or jm or whatever, waterfowl if there is such a specification.
Actually if someone could warn or inform me on what barrels don't fit, like I recall some issues someone mentioned where they sold a barrel off their spx and it didn't work on a non-spx. Or was it the tactical breacher barrel version, I forget.

Your best and cheapest option will be to call Mossberg sales and order directly from them...

800-363-3555

You've got the part number already and that's half the battle...

New guy here. Impressive amount of information here.

I have a 930 SPX that has always been ammo picky, especially when it is cold out. After sifting through a bunch of posts and reading about gas pressure and other things I had never thought about, I have decided to get a longer barrel in hope of making the gun more reliable.

My newbie question (that I hope I didn't miss somewhere) is, should I get a second piston ring part for the new barrel? I come from the car world and was thinking like an engine or brakes where parts that wear against eachother should be kept as a set. Anything to this on a shotgun?

Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this.

Thanks!

Michael

Welcome aboard.

The logic is sound, but it's not necessary. Think of the 930 field/security combo models that come with two barrels, but only one gas piston assembly. Wouldn't hurt anything to have a spare around, but both barrels will run just fine off of one. You will very likely experience improved reliability using the longer barrel. My 18.5" 930 Tactical chokes on low recoil bulk target ammo, but it runs like a top with the same ammo when I put the 24" JM Pro barrel on it...

New guy here. Impressive amount of information here.

I have a 930 SPX that has always been ammo picky, especially when it is cold out. After sifting through a bunch of posts and reading about gas pressure and other things I had never thought about, I have decided to get a longer barrel in hope of making the gun more reliable.

Another newbie here, and I just got a 930 HD, but am now thinking I'd like to "upgrade" to the SPX, but not if they're more finicky with ammo than the standard HD.
I wouldn't think the barrel would affect which ammo works better/worse, so is there an accepted rule, or maybe a better thread discussing this?

Re: 930 spx chamber/gas port/spring question

dermel with a felt polishing wheel (1"dia) and Flitz paste:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/578206 ... 76-oz-tube

Ran the dremel full out and worked it pretty hard.[/QUOT
Re: Does the 930 Home Security have a heavy barrel?

My model #85336 (heavy barrel) OD at the receiver is 1.35" and .93" at the most narrow point at the end of the forend...
Hey L.E.S. This post has me second guessing my nordic clamp I was going to order, you measured your heavy tactical barrel at .93 or .92 and mine is the same. I thought sure breaking contact poster would have needed the big clamp since his measured .91 and the thin barrels measure around. 85, Mossberg sure knows how to make it hard on us. So the 590 heavy barrel is also around .92 o.d.?

I have a 930 Field (Walnut 28" Barrel). Will the SPX 18.5" barrel work in my gun? I've read there are issues between the SPX and regular 930 actions. Any truth to this?

The problem is that the 930 gas system was designed around the longer field barrels.

When you switch to a shorter barrel you decrease the dwell time, or the amount of time the projectile/s remain in the barrel after passing the gas port. During this dwell time, gas is being forced down through the port and into the gas cylinder which produces the necessary back pressure to operate the action. Less dwell time means less pressure and the shorter barrels often do not produce enough energy to fully or reliably cycle the action with certain types of low mass or lower energy loads.

My 24" 930 cycles reliably with any and every type of ammo I feed it. On the other hand, my 18" 930 Tactical would not reliably cycle any ammo under the 1350-1400 fps velocity range without modification. That being said, some members have made the switch from long to short barrels without any issues. Also, the factory 930 Field/Security Combo models that come with both long and short barrels have a reputation for being reliable with both. At one point the field models used a different strength gas piston spring than the SPX models (painted blue or red), but the last I recall the new models are all using the same spring. Long story short, whether your particular 930 will work reliably with a short barrel is not as easy as yes or no. All you can do is try it.

On the plus side I recently added an aftermarket spacer tube from OR3GUN that has my 930 Tactical cycling light target loads like a champ, so there are solutions if you run into any issues...

28" field barrel, what's it worth?

I have a 28" barrel off of a #85325 security/ field combo. I feel like the 18.5 if threaded will do everything I need it to do. I would like to see about selling the 28" to help pay for the threading of the 18.5. The 28" barrel is ported with the fiber optic front dot and has only had about a box of birdshot though it. Any idea what it might be worth?

Thanks,
How much you want for that 28" barrel

Back