• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handles

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
Quite a few out there, and I tend to form an opinion based on looks, but I'd rather hear experienced reviews or criticisms.

The NOB, Choate, OFM, Nordic, ... I know there are others.

EDITED By DHonovich
List of charging handles
Briley Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handle
Choate Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handle
Elite Tactical Advantage Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handle
GG&G Mossberg 930 Enhance Tactical Charging Handle
Mossberg Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handle
NOB Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handle
Nordic Mossberg 930 Autoloader Charging Handle

Re: 930 Charging Handles

knobcompro.jpg

L to R: NOB, Elite Tactical Advantage, Nordic Components, OFM

NOB
Pros: Excellent length, heavy steel construction, flange on terminus helps to hook thumb when using underhand bolt manipulation and keeps thumb from sliding off.
Con: Not available.

ETA
Pros: Good length without sticking out too much. Doesn't snag. Dished area on front provides a little extra "grippage" when operated.
Con: Some people don't like the rough finish compared to others.

Nordic
Pros: Aggresive cleat design. VERY light, to the point that you will think it is aluminum rather than stainless.
Con: Finish is very smooth. Some people have said with gloves it slips.

OFM
Pro: It came with the gun.
Cons: Stabby. Small.

4980062474_4f6946b797_z.jpg

Top - I believe these will be coming on newer production 930SPX's or can be purchased from Mossberg.
Pro: Large size and "grippy" knurling.

Cons: Blued instead of parked. You have to spend $20(+ shipping) to get it when this is what should have been on the 930SPX in the first place.

Bottom - Stock OFM
Pro: As m24 said, it came with the 930spx.

Cons: Small and not easy to manipulate.

I have the Choat handle and like the size of it as well as the way that it's curved giving your hand a natural place to "land" when charging.

The Choate handle.
484185.jpg

While certainly not within my realm of knowledge, I'm thinkin the handle would need to have an ergonomic feel to it, something you can land your hand on naturally and function. Also a design that was less likely to snag or get hung up, while the majority of shooters are right handed this prob wont be a huge issue.

I'm also wondering if any of these (or all) would prevent being able to carry the gun in a scabbard?

I've carried my 930 SPX in my Eberlestock scabbard. No problems. One of the nice things about the Choat handle is that there are no hard edges to hang up on things. Its curved design naturally shrugs off hang-ups.

I installed a Nordic on my 930 and certainly prefer it over the stock handle. Only problem is that in the gun safe it takes up more room and rubs against the 590A1 next to it.

tgw said:
I installed a Nordic on my 930 and certainly prefer it over the stock handle. Only problem is that in the gun safe it takes up more room and rubs against the 590A1 next to it.

Remove the charging handle when you store it in the the safe.

Ripcode:

I might do what you suggest, or replace the Nordic knob with the OEM one while in the safe. I like to have weapons in the safe in a grab and go condition. For now I placed a piece of sticky note pad on the 590A1 where the knob hits.

When I have an issue with something on one gun trying to occupy the same space as a neighboring gun in the safe I will often put one of them muzzle down. Sometimes that helps.

Ripcode said:
4980062474_4f6946b797_z.jpg

Top - I believe these will be coming on newer production 930SPX's or can be purchased from Mossberg.
Pro: Large size and "grippy" knurling.

i might as well update this stickied thread for my first post. i just got my 930 SPX (85360) from Davidson's (gallery of guns) and it did indeed come with this charging handle. i love it. positive grip that's better than that of a glock RTF2 in your hand. i'm glad it came with it as this is the one that caught my eye as i was researching the spx.

alas, i'm stricken with the brazed on crookedly choate extention tube that will be replaced by mossberg. if not by them, choate offered to replace it for me as well. i notice that this crooked ext tube does sometimes cause a snag of most likely the follower right after 5 rounds.

front sight base doesn't seem canted so i'm good on that front. i'm going to break her in tomorrow. got my practice in with the ghost loading tonight. i've already broken the spx down TWICE and lubed it up and i haven't even shot it yet. i stripped it and relubed it because i felt i had possibly missed a few places because i rushed it the first time. anyway, wish me luck.

Thanks for the feedback on the new factory Mossberg 930 autoloader charging handle! It is indeed a huge improvement over the stock one that came on the earlier models. Keep us updated on your SPX issues. We have a thread dedicated to that situation.

Nordic Components Charging Handle

p475516624-4.jpg

p202996488-4.jpg

p237076159-4.jpg

p38076840-4.jpg

First Impressions: The Nordic Components charging handle appears to be very well made and is surprisingly light. I did not measure it on a gram scale but it is very close to the stock charging handle that came with my Mossberg 930 autoloader.

Installation: You simply pull out your stock charging handle and insert your new Nordic Components charging handle.

Use: Well after throwing a ton of lead down range with the Nordic Components charging handle I can safely recommend this product for any Mossberg 930 Autoloader looking for a better feeling charging handle. The charging handle is well built, very ergonomic while providing great grip even when wearing thick gloves, light enough to not cause the bolt to jam when the Mossberg 930 Autoloader starts getting dirty and for me looks as though it should have came directly from Mossberg with it installed.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The newest 930 SPX's are coming with the newer, rounded, knarled charging handle. They are very comfortable!!! I have to admit...the Choate extended charging latch looks like a shotgun version of the Badger Ordnance extended latch for AR's. Give Mossberg's newest offering a good chance! It's not overly big or small. The texture isn't so aggressive that it chews your fingers up either. It's about as close to perfect as I could ask!

like i mentioned over at arfcom, with the new knurled charging handle, i don't feel compelled to upgrade. i call it purrrfect. :mrgreen:

Bizill said:
like i mentioned over at arfcom, with the new knurled charging handle, i don't feel compelled to upgrade. i call it purrrfect. :mrgreen:
having only experience with the newer charge handle... I like the Nordic Component SpeedBolts design and feel better...

Ripcode said:

anyone have the part# for the top one? i'd like to replace the bottom stabby handle from my non-spx 930 with the nice one from the top.

I've been trying to find the ETA charging handle and what I come up with is some sort of spindly lookin thing. Has there been a significant change to the design?

Heres what I'm seein.

Found this on Brownells and have been unable to find the other style.

Attachments

• ETA_Handle.JPG
    ETA_Handle.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 6,681
I just received one of Mossberg's Tactical handles for my walnut 930, and LOVE it. Talk about easy use with gloves etc. Highly recommended! -s

Back