• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Cleaning/Maintenance

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Mossberg 930 Autoloader Field Strip

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Piston Disassembly

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Bolt Release Disassembly/Reassembly

Definately - useful videos. I would love to see one, which details the actual cleaning and lubrication of the 930.

Mossberg 930 Bolt Release Disassembly/Reassembly

Thought some may find this helpful or at the least interesting. Never hurts to learn a little more about your 930.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ClT6QWQ93U[/youtube]

Re: Mossberg 930 Bolt Release Disassembly/Reassembly

Thanks for the vid!

Another one to add for future reference.

930 SPX Elevator Upgrade/Enhancement for 3-Gun

Hi All,

I have had my 930 SPX for about 4 or 5 months and really enjoying it, even though I don't get to shoot it that often.

My reason for purchasing the 930 SPX is to use it in some IPSC Multigun and 3-Gun matches. I have noticed that feeding the tube, reasonably aggressively during a course of fire, is quite difficult with the stock elevator setup in the 930 SPX.

I was wondering what elevator upgrades or enhancements 'Mossberg Owner' members may have done to their 930's, to get around this issue?

Cheers,
BuckoNZ

Re: 930 SPX Elevator Upgrade/Enhancement for 3-Gun

Ok... I've done some digging around and the general concenus, is that if you experience this problem, then getting the lifter welded, is the way to go.

Apparently Jeff Cockrum (http://www.c-rums.com/) is the guy to do it.

Essentially, he adds metal to the lifter to get rid of the "fork" at the end of the lifter, which stops your thumb from getting jammed.

Not being based in the USA, this isn't great news for me - I was hoping to just be able to purcahse an aftermarket part of something - but hopefully this will benefit someone.

Re: 930 SPX Elevator Upgrade/Enhancement for 3-Gun

It seems to me it wouldn't be worth it. I've never really had any trouble with my fingers getting caught.

You might consider cutting or dishing the fore grip just in front of the loading port. Similar to the cut and dish job on M24shooters 930 back when he was still running the standard poly fore end. To give your knuckle and thumb room to come out of the port at a more forward angle. That would be all I could think of.

930 Gas Piston Cleaning

As with any good forum, the more I read, the more knowledge I get. Thanks to all. But today while laying in bed, I was thinking about the 930 Gas System because of a recent FTE (Fail to Eject) thread. And once my mind latches onto something, I just have to go with it until it's settled. So, I pulled my gun apart again and realized that I had neglected something in my previous cleanings. My Gas Piston. That's easy because it seems like it is a part of the barrel itself anyway.

My Gas Piston has three parts. One is the Gas Piston itself, the Gas Piston Outer Ring (the part with a groove that seals against the inside of the barrels gas cylinder assembly, on the barrel itself) and the Seal Ring.

Now before we get any further, does anyone know which Models the seal ring IS used in. The manual says with an * that not all models use the seal ring. Mine does. So, I would think that means that the 930's all use the seal ring. But that's an assumption on my part and not based on any real research.

While checking the entire Gas Piston Assembly, I tried turning the Gas Pistons Outer Ring and although it turned, it wasn't very easy to do. One other thing I noticed. The Outer Ring wear was irregular on the two raised grooves on the outer ring. It was obvious that there was not 100% contact all the way around the inside of the barrels gas cylinder port. Could this be one of those parts that require a "break-in" period to get everything mated and working smoothly? Now I think so. And the thread that talked about polishing the barrels gas cylinder I can see could certainly help too. But polishing the Outer Ring on the gas piston? Hmmm. Making sure it was truely smooth and regular all the way around would be very difficult I think.

And looking at the manuals instructions, the part that grabbed my attention was about excess oil causing carbon buildup in the gas system and may have a negative effect on the firearms performance. I could now see and truly understand how this could be so. Carbon builds up under the Outer Ring and causes it to expand, thereby forcing it outward towards the wall of the barrels gas cylinder and causing binding as an end result. Remember, my gun has run nothing but high power slugs and the problems others have had with low power ammo hasn't crossed my path yet. But it sure would have.

So, the next thing was "How do I really clean this thing?" Well, I could shoot some WD-40 on it. That certainly loosened things up. The outer ring spun easily now. But I couldn't stop there. So, I used a small knife with a thin blade to insert into the cut on the ring to gently expand the ring and allow me to pull it off. The inner Seal Ring came off with it. So, now I had the three parts disassembled and found LOTS of carbon inside the groove that the outer ring clips into. Next came a brass bristle brush and a thorough cleaning ensuring that all carbon was removed. This part I don't even think will get re-oiled because oil will just grab hold of anything that passes by.

From the picture below, you can see the parts disassembled and the irregular wearing on the Outer Ring contact surfaces. I'm sure if I was burning through a few hundred rounds of ammo in a weekend, that wear would be unoticeable. Which is why I made the comment on if this was one of the "break-in" points.

So reassembly is the opposit. Make sure you have the rings assembled where the chamford side face away from the Gas Piston. Make sure the Outer ring spins freely. And your done with this part.

Now lastly, insert the Gas Piston back into the Gas Piston Cylinder on the barrel. It should move freely with no binding. If there is binding, you might want to take some time working it in and out until you feel it move freely. Remember, binding parts are not your friend! Have a great day everyone.

Paul

Attachments

• 930 Gas Piston Assy.jpg
    930 Gas Piston Assy.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,880
SeaScout

One tip on the rings is after cleaning is to make sure that the splits that you use to disassemble are rotated to different loacations after reassembly to help give a good seal. In other words, it's good not to line them up together. Here is a good video on ring servicing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oW1wJis9LY
Best.

Re: 930 Gas Piston Cleaning

Man I wish I had video capability! Once again, Thanks to SeaScout for coming up with the visual information to make everything clear. :D

Paul

SeaScout

Paul,
Thank you.... This forum has so much going for it.
Piston cleaning is often overlooked, yet is critical.
Cheers...

Does Mossberg fire their guns prior to shipping?

just curious. I bought a "new" JM 930 from a local dealer. Cleaned it today before shooting it the first time. Full of gunpowder residue, not just the cosmoline or shipping oil. Evidence of many rounds cycled and fired thru it. Bolt has imprint of shell casings and primers. No, I have not shot the gun yet.

Would like to know if MB shoots them first or should I be in someone's backside for selling me a used "new" gun.

Thanks.

Re: Does Mossberg fire their guns prior to shipping?

I don't know exactly. But when mine went in for service the second time, it came back in a very similar condition. My guess is that they do sampling and even though I'm not certain about them firing it, hopefully they have someone loading them up to see if they hold the right number of shells etc as a QA check point. FWIW.

Paul

OhioArcher said:
just curious. I bought a "new" JM 930 from a local dealer. Cleaned it today before shooting it the first time. Full of gunpowder residue, not just the cosmoline or shipping oil. Evidence of many rounds cycled and fired thru it. Bolt has imprint of shell casings and primers. No, I have not shot the gun yet.

Would like to know if MB shoots them first or should I be in someone's backside for selling me a used "new" gun.

Thanks.

It could also be that the local dealer used it and a prospective customer had done some "test firing".

I would imagine they do test fire every weapon before it leaves the factory.

Every pistol, rifle, shotgun, and even complete AR-15 upper I've ever bought had been test fired by the manufacture0 before it made its way to me...

I'd have to agree with LES on the test firing! I had bought a Savage Stevens 200 in .308 Winchester and Gander Mountain had it as "NEW" and when I got home I cleaned it and HOLY COW PATTIES!! She was dirtier than a... well lets just say she was pretty dirty on the inside ;)

Back