• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Forends

m24shooter

.270 WIN
The new Aimpro Tri-Rail

I received the new rail for the 930 SPX from Mike Shain at Aimpro today. Here are some pics.

railpkg.jpg

The rail arrived in a sealed plastic sleeve, wrapped in shipping foam in a heavy cardboard box.

railandcovers.jpg

The package includes the rail assembly and 12 soft rail ladder covers.

railbottom.jpg

Bottom view of the rail assembly. End closest to camera is the receiver end.

railcollar.jpg

Muzzle end view of the rail. This view shows the collar that fits the rail to the barrel lug/piston collar.

railcollarconnectors.jpg

Side view of muzzle end of the rail assembly. Screws secure the collar inside the rail body.

railendview.jpg

Looking inside the rail body, from the receiver end towards the muzzle end.

recvrendrail.jpg

Receiver end of the rail body.

railinstallation.jpg

930 prepared for installation of the rail assembly.

railextensionthreads.jpg

Rail installed on the 930 prior to the mounting of the extension nut.

railtlrlowrtoblq.jpg

Extension and TLR installed.

railtlrfrontoblq.jpg

Close-in view of rail with TLR.

railtlrmuzztop.jpg

Top view.

railtlrright.jpg

Right side.

railleft.jpg

Left side.

spxrailright.jpg

Re: Aimpro rail

I know a guy up in WI who is going to rip his friggin hair out when he sees this. Poor fella. ;)

That Aimpro rail is :shock: :shock: I know what I will be picking up when I get my 930spx...

I'll tell ya one of the things I'm loooking forward to hearing about, is if you have similar issues with loading the mag as you did with the stock forend, or if that was taken into consideration in the design of the rail.

I was curious about that as well. Here's some pics, showing the various forearm tails.

nobrightwm.jpg

OEM unit.

nobrtcutwm.jpg

OEM with m24 modification.

100_2427.jpg

Aimpro rail.

There's a technical "feature" that I was wondering about that Mike gave me a little info on that I'll be posting about once I get a chance to check it. If you notice in the interior pic there are some cuts at the front in the collar or plug. Those are gas bleed off chambers. Mike advised that they've actually seen some improvement in shotguns that don't cycle low power loads with the rail installed. If it works as I've been informed, there will be a lot of people that could take advantage of not just having a railed forearm but also a more reliable shotgun.

Re: Aimpro Tri-Rail

What kind of weight does it add? Obviously being just a forearm piece it is not going to be a great increase but I am still curious. Do you find this being a benefit over your old set up (a rail piece installed onto your factory forearm)? Is it solid when mounted, solid enough that if one wanted to they could mount a small red dot sight? I was recently watching a three gunner shoot and she was throwing slugs out to 120 yards, accurately and some are even going as far as using some magnified optics on their guns. So the ability to have a small red dot like the Fast fire II on an offset mount so that they could transition to the close in targets would be beneficial. Of course it would require a system that was solid enough to hold a zero. Aimpro doesn't make junk so I am sure it is, but I have to ask. :cool:

James-
The rail weighs 14.5 ounces. That's a net gain of 9-10 ounces.
The rail mounted on the forearm wasn't me: I ran a Streamlight TLR mag tube mount at first, and then for a majority of the time a Nordic mag tube clamp and rail, with the remote switch screwed to the forearm.
As for mounting the red dot, are you talking about at 3 or 9? I think you could, although it would be quite awkward even with the offset like a DD, Gear Sector, or other. It is a solid lockup so you probably could do it. I'll slap my Trijicon on get a pic for you. I don't think you'd have any problem with it.

James-
Here's the pics of the DD 1 o'clock, Trijicon MRDS, and the rail. I tried it out and it actually isn't too bad. I could see where it would be useful for 3 gunners like you describe. I just hadn't really thought of doing that. You may have just cost me another Micro or something now.

railmrdsright.jpg

railmrdsfront.jpg

railmrdstop.jpg

Wow! I'm really diggin this, and when Mike told me about it, I couldnt wait to see it implemented! He had mentioned it would be solid enough for a bipod or anything else you would put on a railed forend. Also from the pics, it looks like the dimensions are very close to your mod on the factory piece. All in all, it looks great, not over done, and a nice finish.

On a side note, which of the charging handles do you prefer?

The dims are quite close from the looks of it. It is definitely solid, and there is no flex or movement. I think the OD and FDE finishes will be pretty nice as well.
As for the charging handle, they each have their benefits. I don't have a Choate for it, but I used to run one on my 1187P and I just thought that it was a little too big. If I had to pick one, it would be The NOB. I am not and will not get into the issues surrounding the manufacturer, so I hope nobody will try to drag that into the discussion. But I do feel that it was the best handle made. A lot of that is probably just the way I run the gun and it is more intuitive to me and my manipulation.
I also have not run the new OFM unit, but I got tired of waiting on them. I may order one in the future to try it out, I don't know.

knobcompro.jpg

I know that was off topic and I appreciate it, it may be its own thread soon.

I agree, the finishes Aimpro offeres in the Xcoat are gonna look great! I imagine getting into the rails for their cowitness setup either is or will be in the works too. Solely speculation on my end though.

M24, that set up with the MRDS is exactly the set up I was thinking of. We may be sponsoring a shooter next season and watching her shoot I was really surprised to see just how far out they were tossing slugs and as I said some competitors have gone to small, low powered, magnified optics on their shotguns. However the need for a small red dot still exists for close in targets and to me it is much simpler to turn the gun and fire at the 1 O' clock by means of an offset mount than to lift your head having your red dot mounted on top of your primary optic like that found on some ACOGs. That is why I asked. Thanks for the pictures.

M24:

I notice you mount your magazine clamp just after the extension nut. Is that where you recommend mounting it?

No. I generally have it out farther. You can see the wear marks where the clamp usually is. I was in a hurry to get that pic done and didn't have the clamp where I normally put it.

I love the progression shots of your 930 above!

You can tell m24's 930 is no safe queen! :D

Back