• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Forends

You found the right place. Plenty of knowledgeable 930 owners here.

MagPul Picatinny rail mod on 930SPX

Ok this is a step by step...

Step 1:
Clear Shotgun make sure its empty!!!

Step 2:
Unscrew the magazine extension. Make sure you dont pop the spring out because its going to shoot out.

Step 3:
Take the forend out ...

Forend
by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 4:
Locate where you generally want the Picatinny rail.

Project StopLite
by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 5:
Give the Picatinny rail a nice flat surface to sit on. Take the forend and get your self a dremel and set it @ the lowest speed (mine was set @ 5000rpms) and took a circular sander. And ran a strip down to match the lenght of the picatinny rail. And double check after every pass. Make sure you dont grind down too far. Nice and Slow... and check after the flatness by placing the picatinny on the forend.

Project StopLite
by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 6:
When you finally have a nice flat surface for the picatinny rail. Place it on the top of the forend and mark the holes with a marker...

Project stoplite prt 4
by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 6:
Started with a 1/8drill and check bolt clearance. And the thread the bolt to check clearance. Mine required I moved up to a 9/64" drill bit. It was still really tight and I slowly worked the bolt in the hole. So it was tight but I thread it in to make my own thread for the bolt.

Drilled
by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 7:
I thread the bolt all the way in and check clearance. Unscrew the bolt half way out and hold the flat nut while re-screwing the bolt back in...

From the inside
by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 8:
Tighten everything down and your done ... end product should look like this...

Magpul installed by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Did this yesterday and it worked great! Will post pics soon.
I'll take it to the range soon and see if it holds up.
Thanks again for sharing.

Thank you old mossy.

I decided not to shave off the forend and keep the material intact. With the bolts/screws on tight, the rail is very stable. No wiggle. I'll give a report after I try it out on the range the weekend after next.

The new Aimpro Tri-Rail

I received the new rail for the 930 SPX from Mike Shain at Aimpro today. Here are some pics.

railpkg.jpg

The rail arrived in a sealed plastic sleeve, wrapped in shipping foam in a heavy cardboard box.

railandcovers.jpg

The package includes the rail assembly and 12 soft rail ladder covers.

railbottom.jpg

Bottom view of the rail assembly. End closest to camera is the receiver end.

railcollar.jpg

Muzzle end view of the rail. This view shows the collar that fits the rail to the barrel lug/piston collar.

railcollarconnectors.jpg

Side view of muzzle end of the rail assembly. Screws secure the collar inside the rail body.

railendview.jpg

Looking inside the rail body, from the receiver end towards the muzzle end.

recvrendrail.jpg

Receiver end of the rail body.

railinstallation.jpg

930 prepared for installation of the rail assembly.

railextensionthreads.jpg

Rail installed on the 930 prior to the mounting of the extension nut.

railtlrlowrtoblq.jpg

Extension and TLR installed.

railtlrfrontoblq.jpg

Close-in view of rail with TLR.

railtlrmuzztop.jpg

Top view.

railtlrright.jpg

Right side.

railleft.jpg

Left side.

spxrailright.jpg

Re: Aimpro Tri-Rail

I love the progression shots of your 930 above!

You can tell m24's 930 is no safe queen! :D
I'm new here, I would like to see pictures but all my screen shows is the letters IMG in parentheses? is my phone missing something?

I just picked up my SPX yesterday and wanted to confirm that the only options out there right now for a new forend is modify existing rail, Aimpro, or the bobcat? Am i missing any? What has been the experience for the Aimpro and Bobcat?
thanks for your help guys

I just picked up my SPX yesterday and wanted to confirm that the only options out there right now for a new forend is modify existing rail, Aimpro, or the bobcat? Am i missing any? What has been the experience for the Aimpro and Bobcat?
I just ordered the Aimpro. They have a 3 week backlog. I'll post pictures when I install it. I could not get a hold of Bobcat by phone or email.

Did you see the Black Aces Quad Rail? It's not strictly a fore end, per se, but it is comparable price to the Aimpro/Bobcat. Aside from the added bulk/weight, it seems like a viable option if you want rails all around.
452ad6_9d879ad834b02bd3ba5b087ed27084b7.jpg_srb_p_400_400_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

Did you see the Black Aces Quad Rail? It's not strictly a fore end, per se, but it is comparable price to the Aimpro/Bobcat. Aside from the added bulk/weight, it seems like a viable option if you want rails all around.
452ad6_9d879ad834b02bd3ba5b087ed27084b7.jpg_srb_p_400_400_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srb

That looks very cool but I still like the tri-rail. I just put a surefire tri-rail on my Benelli M4 and it looks and feels really good. I also didn't add weight to it. I guess ill just have to wait until Aimpro gets back to me. It sucks.

That looks very cool but I still like the tri-rail. I just put a surefire tri-rail on my Benelli M4 and it looks and feels really good. I also didn't add weight to it. I guess ill just have to wait until Aimpro gets back to me. It sucks.

Sounds good, hopefully they get back to you quickly. The Aimpro seems to get good feedback on here :)

I was just throwing the Black Aces out there as an addtl. option @chewiekw, since he was asking what other aftermarket choices are out there.

Back