• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensions

Re: What size to cut spring

@Madmikes You want to cut the spring about 10-14" longer than your extension tube + magazine and then give it a try and see if it feeds properly and hold the appropriate number of shells.

Extended mag tube

I got a Nordic 5+ extended tube.After screwing the whole assembly on I measured the whole thing and it came out to approx 23 1/2 " so I left an additional 16' making it a total of 39 1/2 ".I actually cut off approx 6 1/4" of spring.Screwed it all together and loaded the mag up.( rounds went into the tube.I then tried operating it manually.One and mostly two rounds would pop out from the tube as if there is to much pressure or spring.Should I try and cut some more off the spring?

Re: Extended mag tube

I ended up only leaving about 10" extra when I used the +5.

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Magazine Extensions

I'll post this here since the follower is so closely related to the choice of Mag Extensions and because I haven't seen any reveiw or discussion of the GG&G aluminum, hi viz, tactile follower.

img2309vf.jpg

img2294c.jpg

GG&G lists this follower for the Remingtons. So I called them one day and asked about a 930 folower in the works and they said, that they had tried this follower in Mossberg tubes and it worked fine. I will add the caveat that in my experience "Works fine" applies only to Nordic Extensions. As it doesn't work fine with the Factory Choate Extension.

I had tried the S&J short plastic follower and it was the poorest quality piece of junk I've run across in a long time. It looked like it had been used when it came out of the mailing envelope. Rough finish, Terrible binding problems if it came in contact with so much as a micro droplet or granule of any lube, wet or dry.

Anyway the Nordic Tube, cap and Spring in conjunction with the GG&G Aluminum, Hi-vis, Tactile follower works really well.

Mossberg 930 SPB

XS 24/7 Tritium Stripe Front Sight
GG&G Aluminum Hi Vis, Tactile, Follower
GG&G Sling Loop Plate
TAG Single Point Sling
Nordic Components +2 Magazine Extention w/ +1Cap

I'm getting ready to buy the Field/Security model & want to install a mag extension. I'm confused that some of the tactical models can hold 7+1, but from what I gather on this forum, the Field/Security model will only do a +2 (making it a 6+1) without sticking past the barrel. It looks like basically the same gun as the tactical models so I don't understand why 7+1 won't work.

Anyway, what make/model mag extension does Mossberg use on their 7+1 models? Will that work? Where can I buy it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mylastrook,

Is that a sling stud up front on your Blackwater? If so, what rig is that?

Brand New Mossberg 930 Owner we have a problem

I just got my brand new mossberg 930 spx shotgun last friday. I was looking so forward to shooting this last weekend. I did a detail strip and clean of shotgun.When I went to load up the magazine tube I was only able to fit five 2 3/4 shells in tube. I thought I may have over looked something so I took it back apart and placed back together same thing. I had to push like hell to fit the last 2 rounds in tube then when I took the rounds out and tryed to re-load same thing.I took the spring out and what a cheap peace of junk this is.The length of this spring was 38" long.I called mossberg this monday and spoke to the customer service rep, and advised him what the issue was.Was advised they would send me a new spring.Since I called as soon as they opend I thought it would ship same date.But was told that well sur we have a lot of orders and will get your spring out as soon as we can. Wow talk about taking your money running this is the worst excuse of customer service I have ever had. Now I have a gun that has no spring in it just sitting. On the plus side I called another company to advise them of the problem and he wasnt surprised out all.I was planning on ordering the nordic componets 2+ magazine tube with the 3/4" exentison,so I could fit the 7 in tube as mossberg claims. So far I have over 700.00 in this gun with out one round down the tube. I am hoping that the new nordic spring and tube and cap with solve this problem using the factory follower. What do you guys think??????

Re: Brand New Mossberg 930 Owner we have a problem

I think if you check out the 930 portion of this site you will find that these problems do in fact exist (and many more) and you are not alone. The spring / extension problem is the most prevelent.

However, many people have called customer service and requested to send the whole shotgun back for warranty work. I think it is fair to say that given time and patience, Mossberg will do the right thing and get you the SG back and working properly.

Mine is at Mossberg right now - without shooting the first round down the tube - hoping to see it back late this week or early next week. They offered me a spring, but I had other issues also so opted to return the whole thing for a do-over.

If the spring takes care of the problem, great, otherwise - 1) clean it thuroughly, 2) put some rounds thru it (100+) 3) assess everything from the sites, to strange wear and scratches, to how the elevator allows shells into the magazine tube, to how many rounds it takes, etc (read the trouble shooting portion of this site COMPLETELY to understand everything I am talking about). 4) Send it back to Mossberg for warranty, 5) be patient. I think most owners have had good results after 1 or 2 rounds with Mossberg.

There are a lot of guys out there who are really happy with their 930. i hope you and I will be 2 more.

Oh, and in the end, the Nortic extension, and a wolff spring, and a replacement follower may still be needed for flawless performance. $700 is about the price of admission.

One guy talked about polishing the inside of the mag tube, polishing every edge he could find to improve the reliability - some say just put a crap load of rounds thru it to break it in - his thinking is that polishing speeds it up.

Read this site & Good Luck, WR

I sure hope so. I will post some updates once my parts arrive in the mail this thursday. Hopefully everything works out the way it should and I can put some rounds down range. I don't want to have to send my shotgun into mossberg for them to look at issues going on.

By all means sir. Please do. He's here for the help...not abuse or smart alec responses.

You've been warned before...(mylastrook). Don't make it strike 2.

I've got the Nordic spring and +2 extension on mine with the factory follower and it runs like a champ. Keep us posted on how it works for you...

Thank you for the kind words. I wasn't quiet sure why the negative response. I join these forums to not only find solutions to issues I may be having with my firearms,but to possibley help those who may be going through a issue that I have delt with myself.I am going to remain positive on this gun with the new parts that I have comming will let you guys know. Also what length did you trim your nordic componets spring to.Just wondering I read that a good spring length is around 20" with about 1/8-1/4" of slack thanks

I got a great deal on a Tac Star 7+1 extension. It installed - no problem but would only take 6 rounds - I could tell that it ALMOST would take 7 so I trimmed the spring a ring at a time until it did (iirc it was 2-3 snips) and the problem was solved. Enough spring to load consistantly and no binding or other issues. I may go longer in the future but for now I have a decent hi-cap 930 24" with choke choices AND my loading on the fly skills are developing well!

I don't remember the exact length my spring ended up, but I basically did the same thing as mingaa. I measured the entire length of the mag tube plus the extension and left about 15" of spring past that. Then I loaded shells, cut a ring at a time, loaded again, cut another ring, and so on until I could fit the desired number of shells and cycle the action properly. Take it slow and be careful not to cut off more than is necessary...

I received my 930 back from mossberg yesterday afternoon - exactly 2 weeks door-to-door.

It now takes 7 rounds without a hitch. I can tell it is a new spring - still 38" long. Looks like they replaced the Mag tube (because it had serious scratches in it). Looks like the original follower. Might be a new extension tube. It takes 7 in the mag and that was my biggest issue.

I cleaned it, polished up some edges, reassembled and it still takes 7. Pretty smooth loading. wonder if it can get better.

Now I need to get some rounds thru it to see how it functions.

Disappointed in how they did not address other issues (elevator still does not fully depress, new scratches on outside of mag tube), but I want to see how it works first and then decide if I need to send it back again.

The Nordic +2 extension is calling my name but one step at a time. Knowing that my 38" factory spring is allowing 7, I wonder if this whole problem is less about the spring and more about how the extension tube fits to the end of the magazine tube. Again, i need to get out and shoot.

Thanks, WR

I'm glad you have been somewhat patient and have wrapped your hands around your improved shotgun!

Take this for what it's worth. I really think most firearms manufacturer's are pretty darned swamped, right now. That includes their service/custom shops. I really think Mossberg does the best they can, and that's pretty good. Patience is the key. I know, easier said than done. :D

I'm considering a 930HS purchase myself, sometime in the future. Not so much because they perform perfectly, out of the box, but because Mossberg has shown me that they will stand behind their product(s). I watch these 930 posts, because I want to know what I'd be getting into. One thing I feel comfortable with is that if there IS a problem, it will eventually get resolved. Good luck and take care. Tom Worthington.

Well I am just about ready to throw in the towel on this shotgun. Bought a nordic componet 2 shot extension tube, with the 3/4 end cap. Put this part on gun fits great. The spring i installed from nordic trimmed intalled. I can now fit 7 rounds in magazine tube.But when I cycle the action I am getting double feeds, failer to eject. Also unable to ghost load. Only other thing I can do is wait for the replacement spring from mossberg to showup and once it does have my gunsmith look at this. Right now I am totally pissed off at this shotgun nothing works. I least I am my faithfull remington 870 that runs perfect

Have you taken this weapon to the range and fired it at all? Manually cycling on this gun may provide failures you wouldn't encounter if you actually have real rounds fired. I had similar experiences manually cycling the rounds. However during live firing I had more positive experiences.

Back