• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Side Saddles/Shell Holders

Re: Velcro side saddle

Duane said:
I've got a couple Esstac shot cards. So far I love them. I haven't put velcro on the reciever yet... still undecided about that.

Duane

Why have I not thought of this!!! I always just ran one of the stock sleeves... but this is WAY better!

I called GG&G, and they confirmed that there is a break-in period. Leave shells in the side saddle for 24-48 hours, they recommended. However, I've done that and more, but it doesn't ever seem to get the loading and unloading fast enough by any practical standard. This is when I just have the side saddle by itself, and I can apply all my strength if I wish. Mounted on a gun it's going to be a little harder to push or pull as hard. Either I have a bad copy, or this side saddle just isn't for me.

I'm moving to a velcro side saddle, as much as I prefer the durability and the good looks of metal.

Something funny happened. I cleaned the side saddle with silicone cloth. So now it's a little oily. And it works fine. Before it took a herculean effort to get a shell in or out. Now it slides in and out with only a moderate amount of resistance.

Oh, I have tried to lube it, for sure. I used Rem Drilube, since it doesn't leave a oily film on it. But that didn't do the trick.

Now if I decide to keep the side saddle, I'll have to test the shotgun again...

LOL :D

Sometimes difficult problems have a very simple solution... I'm glad you found a simple solution.

Please let us know how it turns out after you have finished testing it.

Thanks,

Duane

Why are the side saddles (that attach via pins) causing the weapon to misfire? are the new pins not securing the receiver properly?

Don't have any personal experience with this issue, but if the trigger group is out of alignment at all it would certainly cause problems...

Set up the 930 for ESSTAC cards yesterday...

Used 2" industrial strength Velcro tape on the receiver...

Let it set overnight and was ready to go this evening...

Good to go with 7 extra rounds on board...

Re: Velcro side saddle

Duane said:
I've got a couple Esstac shot cards. So far I love them. I haven't put velcro on the reciever yet... still undecided about that.

Duane

I used to do this on my 930 but I had the velcro running parallel to the comb of the stock. I took it off because I don't feel like I needed the extra ammo enough to justify the way it affected the feel of the stock. I had to position my wrist and forearm just right or it was really uncomfortable. I could have cut it down to 6 but I just took the velcro off. I have a Mesa Tactical Sureshell on the receiver but I don't really like it. It holds the shells too tight to easily grab and if I loosen it up by leaving them in there for a while, they just fall out when I shoot. The only reason I haven't taken that off and sold it is because the pins stripped the finish around the trigger pins. My next shotgun isn't going to have any ammunition carriers on it.

I got the TacStar off of Amazon and used Industrial Velcro to fasten it. I aligned the holes and cut a notch for the velcro so you can read the serial number and the pins for take down.

I had read that there were problems with the mounting of these, and others, affecting cycling of the weapon. So, i did it this way and it works great, Fire away and it will stay in place.

If you do this, put the fuzzy side on the receiver, so if you decide to use other types, you can.

Earle

Thanks, after adding up all the pros and cons it seems to be the answer for me, thanks so much for your reviews and great information here :)

Anyone know where I can get replacement tubing for the Mesa shell carrier? I emailed Mesa but got no response.

I'm also looking to get a shotshell carrier (4-6 shells or more I guess)....looking for opinions.

I know that you can get shotshell carriers for forends (aimpro tri-rail forend) like here ->

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Forend-Carrier-c26/

Or just get a side mount for the receiver (mesa, tacstar, etc).

However, I am worried about drilling into the receiver ( I don't like "undoable" modifications like drilling into the aluminum). Especially since I heard that doing so can adversely affect the reliability of an autoloader?

Any suggestions or thoughts? I did look through the 930 autoloader forum, and didn't see a dedicated topic for shotshell carriers.

Shureshell from mesa tactical,adds 8 rounds on the receiver left side. Uses trigger assembly pins to secure it. Waiting on my stock to come in because it appears there might be a hair of overlap. This thing's solid, though, with a retainer band of heavy (.?) latex inside. Made for the 930. When I get it mounted I'll send up pics.

Back