• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Sights

Re: Removing SPX front sight tower??

The proper way to remove silver soldered sights is to heat them up with a torch…..roughly the same temperature used to attach them lol. You will need to sand or repolish the area of attachment and reblue the entire barrel.

Makes sense. Refinishing it is not a problem, I can just Cerakote it like I did my 835 barrel.

I guess the question is whether it I would just be cheaper to sell/trade this one for something closer to what I want.

Does anyone know if the security barrel is the same contour as the SPX barrel?

Well I did not do it myself, but it was done for me when I had my King Armory breacher/muzzle brake installed. After it was removed the muzzle was turned down and the breacher was brazed on, then the front sight was reinstalled about 3/4" further up the barrel. Then the barrel was refinished with Duraheat, a higher temp application than Duracoat. One big key is getting a accurate witness mark on the barrel so that whatever front sight you install will be centered correctly. You could call Joey for more advice.
Best...

I'm thinking here.....If I remove the front sight, it should leave a mark which would help considerably in centering the hole for the bead.

This could make an interresting project. Though it might still be easier to cut down a VR barrel or go with the security barrel.

LOL I hate making decisions like this. :lol: :lol:

MikeD said:
Makes sense. Refinishing it is not a problem, I can just Cerakote it like I did my 835 barrel.

I guess the question is whether it I would just be cheaper to sell/trade this one for something closer to what I want.

Does anyone know if the security barrel is the same contour as the SPX barrel?

I have the HS/Field combo and just bought a SPX barrel to replace the HS (I'm use to the higher AR style sights). Everything fit smooth and straight. I went to the range today for the last of my fit and function checks and shot went down range, it was on target, barrel and receiver were as one and all was right with the world.

Simply, the SPX barrel and the security barrel are interchangeable.

On a side note - I seem to have a security barrel lying around not being used....

jswyper said:
On a side note - I seem to have a security barrel lying around not being used....

Thanks for the offer but I found a trade and it on it's way. Unless something catastrophic happens I think I've found what I'm looking for.

It just seemed that changing barrels would be less work than altering the existing SPX barrel, plus someone else can benefit from it as well.

Yep changing the barrels seems to be the way to go. And, if you don't like the finish on the Security barrel, it will be a lot less hassle to have it refinished the way that you want than to take the tower off, drill and tap for a bead sight in the exact right spot and then have the whole thing refinished.

I don't know if your rear sight and picatinny rail were part of the trade - if not I am am interested in buying them off you - If so, 'Good on Ya' and I'll just call Mossberg and pick them up.

The rail has been used on a different gun and I no longer have the sight.

Replacement Sights

Ive got a Model 930 Roadblocker .Its been great,got the Ext Nordic on it and it runs like a champ.Going to put a Shell Carrier next and Sights.
Does anyone know what aftermarket sight that I can put on that 5' muzzle Brake.Also what rear sight would I get.

Model 930 LPA Rear Sight Problem

I purchased a model 930 with a LPA rear rail mounted sight. Over the weekend and the second time shooting, the pin/screw that hold the sight to the rail sheared. Anyone have this issue before? Does anyone know if the pin/screw can be purchased without having to purchase a new sight? The sight is in perfect condition less the issue with the pin/screw. thanks

Re: Model 930 LPA Rear Sight Problem

WOW! :shock: That's odd. Odd in the way that I have never heard of this happening before. My guess is that the pin was defective somehow or the manufacturer got a batch of pins made from an inferior material. I think you should call OFM and tell them what happened and see if they will send you a new pin but they may ask to have the whole gun back because they may need to replace the whole rear site. FWIW. Good luck.

Paul

Allen wrench for LPA rear sight

There is a allen wrench included with my spx for the rear sight. I can see wear it goes on the sight but not sure what it does.Is it a lock down screw for the up and down adjustment?

Has anyone found a reliable source for the Picatinny Rail? I want to add a red dot and can't find the rail tapped for the 930.

I've called Havlin Sales several times. They either don't answer the phone, or the message says they aren't taking any orders at this time.

Re: 930 thread pitch

MikeD,

Your google-fu may be strong, but it's no match for my bing style... :lol:

spx sight questions/barrel questions

I am looking to buy the spx rear sight from mossberg, curious to know if a person could mill off the picitinny attachment and install it straight onto the receiver via drill and tap?

secondly installing the spx front sight, my barrel is drilled and tapped for the bead, i though id take the bead out and put the sight over the bead hole, will it hurt any thing or should i plug the hole with a set screw ?

and lastly vang vs aimpro, which gives the best port and forcing cone work ? i enjoy the vang ports they look cool and sound like they do the job, now sure i like the looks of the magna port job but i am sure they do the job as well just looking for opinions

Re: spx sight questions/barrel questions

I have not seen anyone setup a 930 as you describe with the rear sight although I suspect you could have it installed as you describe.

As for the bead I believe most gunsmiths will plug the hole otherwise you may run into issues with the front sight staying attached.

It is a tough decision choosing between VCS and AIMPRO but I would give both a call and decide from there.

Keep us updated.

SPX sight options...

Greetings,

I haven't been able to find many options. I've tried reflex sights, but they are all to bulky, besides with the stock barrel, the front sight post is in the way and is distracting.
I read a couple post that talked about low light sights like Trijicon makes. I haven't found any thing like them...

Anyone know of such a thing... I like the existing sights, but it would be nice if they were tritium...

thanks
hagatha

Back