• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Stock Options

Re: Mossberg 930 SPX Cheek Weld HELP

I am looking into purchasing various cheek pads to test out if they will work with the synthetic stock.

930 spx Choate PG

this is a cut and paste from a post i submitted over at shotgunworld. it's a quickie review of my thoughts after installing the choate pg in place of the factory stock. it may or may not help you decide to get one for your spx. there may be other opinions out there but one more review couldn't hurt. :p

okay, i got off my lazy bum and installed it. i will say that my cheekweld is obviously different. more of a "head's up" sort of weld, but nothing that threw me off from the regular stock. the gun comes up and into sight with the ghost rings just as well and as quickly as before. i like clearing corners of my hallway much better than with the regular stock, but then again, without being able to shoot it with either stock, i can't quite attest to the fact the pg is better for this. but i do "feel" better walking through the house.

it does feel heavier. not much and i never did weigh either stock on a scale like i'd normally do. it could be the ergonomics or it could actually be that much heavier. i am not sure exactly.

this particular pg is the one with the checkering on it vs the previous generation that has just a rectangle with a line down the middle. pretty good grip but i can tell i'll probably be adding a strip of skateboard tape the the rear of the pg, the part that rests in the thumb/index finger webbing. i like to carry pg guns facing muzzle down holding nothing but the pg and then pull the gun to my shoulder and the ready. the grip tape will take away that little bit of inconfidence i feel in performing this action due to a slight amount of slippage.

the BIGGEST gripe i have about the pg is the buttpad. the choate pg buttpad is hard-er rubber where as the stock mossy buttpad feels like a nice gel pad in comparison. the kind you'd rest your wrist on for computer usage, and i mean the really squishy kind. this allows me a faster shouldering of the shotgun and less worry about "working it in" to the perfect shoulder hold as i find myself doing with the pg. i sorta feel like i'm pinching my chest (with my shirt off) with the pg where as the factory stock i did not.

i'd have to say i don't think i'd spend $84 again for the pg. perhaps $60/shipped, but since there is no competition and only the choate, it was my only choice. i may or may not go back to the regular stock. time will tell. i still have to take it out and shoot with it on. i personally say that the choate pg makes the shotgun look "tougher", though. but on the down side, it is more bulky. and i can feel it when i pull it from its corner of my bedside and bring it up to the ready. oh, and of course there is that negative of having to change my grip completely to disengage the safety. i knew i wouldn't like that, but it becomes more evident when you get to compare both stocks at one time.

i'll update this if i feel compelled to later on at some point.

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtop ... 9#p2136999#ixzz1HOqhfGNZ

Re: 930 spx Choate PG

ah, dang. i'm just a "copper BB"??? hey mod/admin, go ahead and bump me up to "birdshot" at minimum??? steel shot? buckshot? no, that's pressing too hard. :mrgreen:

thanks for posting up your review! once you hit 10 posts you will no longer be a copper BB :twisted: .

Appreciate that post and write up, Nicely done!

Can you by any chance use TWO SPACERS IN 930 spx?

If anyone know's, I just slipped it on and loosely tightened it down, and it welds to the cheek LIKE A DREAM!!(.375 rise and .125 rise, WOULD BE perfect....). Wouldnt shoot it until someone tells me it's unsafe and then I'll go back to plan A... This could/COULDA(?) been an EASY/CHEAP/COMFORTABLE plan B! I really dont know if that would stress out the receiver extension though.... ANYBODY KNOW??
Stephen
P.S. When this is answered I'll take it down so I dont 'FILL UP' the post board with stupid questions, ;) !!

Re: Can you by any chance use TWO SPACERS IN 930 spx?

i'd venture to guess that YOU'LL be answering for us. i personally don't see a problem with it on the spacer's receiver end. so long as the rear spacer (no need to stack 2 of these) fits the tube and the stock's recess without stressing it, i'd say you're gtg.

but before i go off trying to endorse it, does the receiver ring and roll pin sit deep enough in the front end of the stock's forward recess? that's where much of the lateral strength lies. those forward shims don't seem like they'd take away too much. the only problem i foresee is a bit of play, side to side, unless you really torque the heck out of the rear nut, which i fear may lead to something cracking.

yeah, baby. 22lr. read 'em 'n weep!

i've got a "playdate" with some friends to go shooting in the mountains, tentatively slated for april 2nd. i'll update my review at that point. in the meanwhile, i called up aimpro and am on the verge of getting that dang tri-rail. but i just had to plop down some dough for my girlfriend's x-drilled 'n slotted rotors and pads. :evil:

Re: Can you by any chance use TWO SPACERS IN 930 spx?

I was looking at, and thinking about it, I think it leaves enough of a gap at the top of the stock to receiver connection(while BOTH spacers are fully engaged and leave enough for the stock to hold onto) that it would worry me that it would possibly bend or tweak the extension due to the offset forces? I'll just go with my combed stock idea... .Too bad, woulda been free!
Stephen

Just an update, I ended up adding the .375 and the .250 spacers together and now I have a much better cheek weld on my Mossberg 930 autoloader.

DHonovich said:
Just an update, I ended up adding the .375 and the .250 spacers together and now I have a much better cheek weld on my Mossberg 930 autoloader.

REALLY?! I posted a 'forum topic' about whether or not you could use multiple spacers at once, obviously you'd need to use just ONE spacer, I think (It doesnt leave a lot ofthreading if you use 2). Which/how many did you use (spacers), cause I had a +.375 and +.125 and it was almost PERFECT, but there was a gap between the shims. But I didnt torque the bolt down all the way as I wanted to wait for someone else to 'chime in'! I think the .375 and .250 would be EXACTLY PERFECT, which spacer setup did you use and did you TORQUE it down any tighter or does the gap go away under torquing? IF THIS WORKS AND IS 'SAFE', (i.e. doesnt torque the extension tube into a different 'angle' or some such, then weaken under fire? That was my only concern... If this is workable safety-wise) I/YOU just saved me $65 bucks if this works!! STANDING ON EGGSHELLS TILL I FIND OUT!!!lol. I HOPED THIS WOULD WORK!
Stephen

So far it looks like it shouldn't be a problem. There was plenty of threads to tighten it down and does not seem to be adding any significant stress to the tube. I will put a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend and see how it goes.

DHonovich said:
So far it looks like it shouldn't be a problem. There was plenty of threads to tighten it down and does not seem to be adding any significant stress to the tube. I will put a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend and see how it goes.

Cool, well let us know if we can 'go ahead' with this! But, also I'm assuming (since you said there were plenty of threads, two spacers is one too many!) you only used one spacer, and which one did you use? Thanks,
Stephen

I still have the .375 and .250 installed, I will take a picture later when I get a chance.

DHonovich said:
I still have the .375 and .250 installed, I will take a picture later when I get a chance.
Thanks man, hope it shoots well!!
Stephen

Pistolgrip

I bought the "930 Roadblocker" Autoloader, and i would like to buy a pistolgrip stock for it and i live in Canada, anyone know where i can buy one?

Re: Pistolgrip

Hi SmokeySmoke! Welcome to Mossberg Owners! When youre able stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself!

As for the pistol grip stock, the only one I know of is the Choate. ATI is on board and have their own sub-forum. You can stop by there also and suggest a pistol grip stock for the 930! ;)

I'm going to redirect this thread to the 930 section!

Thanks for signin on!

At the moment Choate is the only company that makes a pistol grip for the Mossberg 930 Autoloader. ATI is a forum sponsor and has a thread dedicated to suggestions so I would post up there that you would be interested in a pistol grip stock. Below is a link to that thread.

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=1259

Welcome to the forum smokeysmoke !!

Post pics of that 930 when ya can...as I believe that will be my next Mossy !!

MOSSBERG930SPX.jpg

Was Choate asleep when they cut the mold for the PG stock?

I know how expensive it is to have a mold cut. BUT. Unless I am missing some design benefit, the space left between the trigger guard and the pistol grip, not only looks sloppy , it probably weakens support for the stock. Since I am new here, maybe someone can tell me, what Mossberg/Choate was thinking when they did that.

I apologize if this has already been discussed here.

Back