• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Stock Options

I really like the look of the ATI Raven. I've tried the Talon T2 and really like it as well but I have tried pistol grips in the past and always go back to the traditional stock.

MT has been in production of this 930 Urbino for several years and I've heard quite a few times about it being pushed back. I can't believe anyone still cares. I tried an Urbino on my 870 and I didn't even like it. The flat grip where it meets the palm felt like crap to me. Like I said, I always go back to the traditional stock.

I got a call from Mesa today confirming payment on my pre order. She said it should arrive by Friday. Unfortunately, I am out of town on business for several weeks. Now the wife will be on to me :/

Installation and range report on the Mesa Tactical Urbio pistol grip stock for the 930 series.....

Shortly after Shot Show 2014 when Mesa Tactical debuted their Urbino pistol grip stock for the 930, I placed a pre-order through them. If you have been following this thread, you know the launch was delayed a few times and finally released in small lots in late August.

This past Friday (Sept 5th), I received mine which I am told was one of the first 50 to go out. This probably will serve as the first installation and range report for this product on the 930.

I chose the Urbino with the cheek riser as well as a LimbSaver butt pad for my 930SPX.

The actual manual is linked here if anyone wants to read it: http://mesatactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/47380_urbino_tactical_stock_rev_b_WEB.pdf

Upon opening the box, the first thought I had was this is a really nice unit. Looks just like all the other Urbino stocks I have held/used in the past. The part is very reminiscent of the pistol grip used by the factory on the Benelli M4 line of shotguns.

Fit and finish are high quality. The package contained all necessary hardware to complete the installation. The only thing needed was a Phillips head screwdriver and a 3/4" socket and drive to remove the factory butt pad and stock, then install the Urbino stock.

Inside the package was also a QD style sling swivel (which you can elect to use or not). Also a forward sling plate blank, a forward hook loop plate (which doubles as a QD attachment area) and a forward sling plate. You choose one of these three options when installing. A rear sling plate is also included. All these options give you maximum flexibility on what type of sling you wish to use, or not.

Mesa Tactical also includes:

* A new shorter Return Spring Tube
* A new shorter Return Spring
* Return Spring Stud (in case upon removal of the stock return spring tube, the factory stud unscrews with the tube).
* Return Spring Tube Tool to remove the factory Return Spring Tube
* Return Spring Tube Nut
* Return Spring Tube Washer

For installation a padded and protected vice is needed as the factory return spring tube is on tightly. It would not be possible to hold the receiver and loosen the return spring tube at the same time (at least in my experience).

Installation was simple and took approximately 5 minutes. My factory return spring stud stayed attached to the receiver so I did not need to use the one Mesa Tactical provided. You reuse the factory Return Spring Retainer, Return Spring Plunger as well as the Return Spring Retaining Pin.

My only issue was that my factory return spring tube was on so tight, the aluminum Return Spring Tube Tool that Mesa Tactical provides started to fail and sheer inside the factory tube. The tool is made out of aluminum so it was the sacrificial part vs the factory return spring tube and factory return spring tube pin.

I was able to get it out and complete the installation as tightening the new shorter return spring tube didn't have to be with gorilla force as Mossberg used when assembling this shotgun. I have emailed and called Mesa Tactical in order to have them send a new tool in the event I need to ever remove or tighten the return spring tube. Mesa sent me out a new tool the next day. Kudos to their tech dept!

I also installed a Mesa Tactical 6 shell Urbino shot holder. This solves the issue some have had when they attempt to mount a Mesa Tactical shot shell holder to the side of the receiver which have been rumored to mess up the trigger group pin tolerances.

The Urbino feels really good in the hand and doesn't hinder use of the safety, as least for me. Shouldering is fast and efficient. I found the adjustable cheek piece riser to work well with the factory ghost ring sights when at the lowest position. The adjustable cheek piece riser has several height adjustments to accommodate all types of optics.

All an all I am extremely happy with the product. I hated the way the factory Choate pistol grip felt.

Pictures of the Mesa Tactical Urbino

atamybe5.jpg

7ynymu2u.jpg

my5ydu3u.jpg

ru8e4yty.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post your initial report.

Looking forward to the pics and range report. Feel free to post this up in the product review section as well...

Mine will be in Monday... Now if Mossberg would have shipped my 930 like normal companies, I would have it already.. Ordered it Friday before last.... Very disappointing.

Hark! A Unicorn yonderforth!
Looks good, too! Did you notice an appreciable weight gain with the new stock?

I noticed no appreciable weight difference between the factory stock and the Mesa unit.

There must be a difference due to design however keep in mind the new recoil spring and recoil spring tube are shorter which will offset some of the weight difference between the units.

I wish I had weighed the units before installation.

The rubber used on the pistol grip is really nice. Almost like a silicon grippy material. The balance of the gun with this setup feels remarkable and reminds me very much of a Benelli pistol grip.

I like the Urbino shotshell holder as well.

Last edited:
I noticed no appreciable weight difference between the factory stock and the Mesa unit.

There must be a difference due to design however keep in mind the new recoil spring and recoil spring tube are shorter which will offset some of the weight difference between the units.

I wish I had weighed the units before installation.

The rubber used on the pistol grip is really nice. Almost like a silicon grippy material. The balance of the gun with this setup feels remarkable and reminds me very much of a Benelli pistol grip.

I like the Urbino shotshell holder as well.
Did you have to put yours in a vise to change the stocks?

No worries :)

The reason the Mesa Urbino uses the shorter buffer tube and spring is because of the reduced length of pull (now 12.5").

Back