• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: First time out, rough, too many failures

Only real way to be sure is to give it a thorough cleaning and head back out.

Mossberg shotguns are notorious for leaving the factory absolutely filthy, so there is a high likelihood of the action being gunked up enough to cause ejection issues. Enough grime and residue could easily bind up the extractor and prevent it from working properly...

Re: Jm pro feed issue

Do you have to really push in the 7th round to load the mag tube fully or does it feel the same as the 6th round going in? Trying to see if there is excessive force pushing back causing your issue.

No it doesn't feel like I have to push the 7th rd that much harder then the 6th I can feel the resistance but its some what gradual. I think the mag spring is alittle to stiff so the shell stop is having a hard time sliding off the shell when loaded full. My other issue that's starting to become more normal is the follower getting caught on the mag extension joint, think im gonna have to get a new follower thinking about getting a rci and hope it solves that problem. Pretty disappointed in the qualtiy control at mossberg,this shotgun has so much problems that need fixing

Ditto what LES said. My brand new, in the box, model looked like it had 50-100 rounds thru it. Cleaned it before firing. Hate to jinx myself but have not had an issue. My '90s 500, on the other hand, started to have FTE issues shooting low brass Winchester rounds. Again, a thorough cleaning and some Scotch Brite thru the chamber cleared that up.

Jm pro feed issue

What mag tube does your JM Pro have? I know my 930 SPX has a Choate mag tube and I haven't had any issues with it or the follower.

As for charging with a full mag tube, it should pop out a shell onto the lifter once the bolt is almost all the way back, so something must be not engaging where it's supposed to release the shell.

I believe the jm pro has a Nordic tube.I also thought something must not be releasing the shell stop, but if that was the case why will it feed with less rounds in the tube? That made me think it's the mag spring or shell stop that's causing the issue.

Could possibly be the spring/follower hanging up where the mag tube and extension meet. Does it do the same thing with 2-3/4 vs 3" shells?

OK. Seems after reading a few threads. the issue with a fully loaded mag tube is possibly from a mag spring being too long. Seems most clip a 1/2 to 1 coil off and then retry it on the mag tube. Looks like they say it exerts too much force against the rounds, jamming the release.

I've never heard of using scotch brite. Isn't that the stuff you use to keep stains off your furniture? How does that help?

Shotgun Jeremy said:
I've never heard of using scotch brite. Isn't that the stuff you use to keep stains off your furniture? How does that help?

No, the Scotch Brite pads are a plastic version of steel wool. Typically used for scrubbing pots. Available at any grocery store.

ezveedub said:
OK. Seems after reading a few threads. the issue with a fully loaded mag tube is possibly from a mag spring being too long. Seems most clip a 1/2 to 1 coil off and then retry it on the mag tube. Looks like they say it exerts too much force against the rounds, jamming the release.
ezveedub said:
Could possibly be the spring/follower hanging up where the mag tube and extension meet. Does it do the same thing with 2-3/4 vs 3" shells?
Thanks VDub I haven't tried 3" shells yet but I noticed that if I drop the follower in the top of the tube and let gravity take it down it catches on the joint of the tube and extension but it will drop all the way down. I figured when the spring is in the pressure makes it stick at the joint. I read that other guys having the same Issue and solved the fix with a longer after market follower like the rci or gg&g. I Think I'm gonna call mossberg up tomorrow and see if they will send a new spring and follower first before I start to cut and modify things.

CruiserReady said:
ezveedub said:
ezveedub said:
Thanks VDub I haven't tried 3" shells yet but I noticed that if I drop the follower in the top of the tube and let gravity take it down it catches on the joint of the tube and extension but it will drop all the way down. I figured when the spring is in the pressure makes it stick at the joint. I read that other guys having the same Issue and solved the fix with a longer after market follower like the rci or gg&g. I Think I'm gonna call mossberg up tomorrow and see if they will send a new spring and follower first before I start to cut and modify things.

OK, let us know what Mossberg says. I think more people seem to have issues with the Nordic tube. As for my 930 SPX, it's been perfect thus far with the stock Choate tube with 2-3/4" or 3" magnum loads. Never had any feeding issues or loading rounds. I've seen people add or change parts to their 930, but I'm wary of aftermarket stuff and it seems to cause more issues than it's worth.

Had my first issue with my 930 this past weekend. I did some walk up shooting at varying distances with Remington sluggers. Got back to my ammo box and realized the charging handle was missing. The darn thing had popped out while shooting. Never had this happen before. After an extensive search my buddy found it, incidentally not where I had been shooting. I shot a lot more after that and never had a problem, weird. I'm not shooting the stock handle, I have the Nordic Components one. I did notice when I installed it that the handle did not fit as tight as the factory handle but this is the first time it has actually fallen out.

This was also my first time out with the 18.5" security barrel. It shoots really high. When I line up I really have to hide the bead under the receiver to hit a paper plate at 25 yards. This was true with slugs and with some #4 buck I was shooting. I really don't like that, I want the bead in the sight picture, it's what I've taught myself to see over a lifetime of shooting.. I need a taller front sight.

Aside from that it worked flawlessly.

Yah I'll keep you updateted. I called and asked mossberg for a replacement spring and follower but since the SG is still under warranty they told me to send it back to them. So I fed ex it out, now I just gottah wait probably 2-3 weeks which is kinda a bummer but it better than nuthin. Hopefully they will get it fixed!

Re: Mossberg 930 function issues!

Thanks everyone, stock magazine same issue, completely disassembled and cleaned thoroughly, sat with a 12ga. bore brush on my cordless drill and "polished" the chamber still doesn't function without some issues. This is a bad gun, sent back to Mossberg. Thanks Alaska I spoke directly to Joe, so we'll see from here.
Bottom line, break-in, aftermarket, etc...there is WAY TOO many posts about this gun not functioning correctly and I already hear about it at USPSA matches guys are not buying the 930, just too many internet stories like mine. Honestly if I did the right thing and looked before buying this gun I would have a Remington Versa right now.

Hopefully Mossberg will make it right, otherwise I'll have a 930 for sale pretty soon, you shouldn't need to go through all these steps and suggestions to get a gun to function correctly.

Thank you all, I'll re-post when the gun returns, been gone a week +1 today.

930 JM Pro misfires

I havea 930JM Pro which has fired 230 rds of various makes of 12g cartridges.

I have had several what I would call 'light strikes' on the primers, mainly on Sellier and Bellot slug loads. I have contacted the cartridge supplier for any known primer probs but none known.

May I ask if any readers have seen this at all please or any suggestions?

Firing pin protusion??

Thank you

JohnG

Re: 930 JM Pro misfires

Haven't heard of that problem yet. I'll copy this over to the 930 section for more attention.

Back