• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Jm pro feed issue

Finally got my SG back don't understand why it took them over a month to replace the Nordic mag extension,mag follower,shell stop and the elevator. At lease it functions by hand now with no problems gonna go and shoot it tomorrow. Will be praying for the best!!

Dec. 3, 2013 I am having some issues that are a little hard to pinpoint: i.e., I know what it could be but there can also be other variables going on...
1) After trying a Choate 2 shell mag. extension, I gave up and returned it. Since I had already paid Midway I simply exchanged it for a Nordic 1 shell extension- what the hey?

After speaking to Nordic, I thought I had the cycling issues resolved. They said for such a short extension I only needed at least 8 inches of spring hanging out the end of the OEM magazine tube. This seemed to work fine with the turkey barrel which was fired twice, but not back to back on the same day, so thus I don't know whether it would have been an issue trying to fire all 3 rounds (with a longish plug in the tube)...

Now I put on the Home Defense (standard) barrel and the damn thing will not cycle correctly working the action manually with the plug removed from the magazine (of course). AM I missing something here? Would it be different once the gun is actually being fired? The first shell going into the mag seems to encounter a lot of resistance, and then intermittently the gun will eject the chambered round and not feed the next one from the mag. !!
There is no rhyme or reason, nothing was changed except to shorten the spring to 8.5" perhaps, magazine extension caps (2) were tightened as close as possible to how they were before,,,yada yada.
2) IN addition: the lifter does not seem to have enough tension anymore, and shells being cleared from the mag. want to catch on the lifter end...
3) Also, the bolt last evening while trying to resolve this stuff, seemed to stick home on a 2.5" size SNAP-CAP and when I finally got it to clear, the damn thing gouged my trigger finger right at the knuckle big time...Ouch!
I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of this gun and getting a Benelli! or a cheap Chinese made pump from H & R (just joking). Man- I cannot believe Mossberg can have so many issues with this weapon.

springs

new here, I have a new never shot spx. should I sand the ends of the springs just in case to prevent gouges in tube and gas spring?

Has anyone found a solution for the double feed issue?

My 930 is new, just fired 100 or so rounds today. When loading it, action closed, load 4 in tube, pull bolt back to load it and it does nothing. Bolt locks back as if its empty but it fails to send a round into the elevator. If I push the button it double feeds( 1, 1 1/2) on top of the elevator and jams.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Roadrashron said:
Has anyone found a solution for the double feed issue?

My 930 is new, just fired 100 or so rounds today. When loading it, action closed, load 4 in tube, pull bolt back to load it and it does nothing. Bolt locks back as if its empty but it fails to send a round into the elevator. If I push the button it double feeds( 1, 1 1/2) on top of the elevator and jams.

Any ideas?

Thanks

What worked for my new 930 earlier this year was clean, shoot, clean, clean, shoot, clean. From the factory: the bolt was laden with red grease, the mag tube filthy, the barrel was filthy. Some areas had excessive lube, some none. Also, when you push the bolt release to charge the action, do it like you really mean it! Lite pushes throws the timing off. Check all the earlier posts all over this site for tweaks & cleans.

Simon6313 said:
Dec. 3, 2013 I am having some issues that are a little hard to pinpoint: i.e., I know what it could be but there can also be other variables going on...
1) After trying a Choate 2 shell mag. extension, I gave up and returned it. Since I had already paid Midway I simply exchanged it for a Nordic 1 shell extension- what the hey?

After speaking to Nordic, I thought I had the cycling issues resolved. They said for such a short extension I only needed at least 8 inches of spring hanging out the end of the OEM magazine tube. This seemed to work fine with the turkey barrel which was fired twice, but not back to back on the same day, so thus I don't know whether it would have been an issue trying to fire all 3 rounds (with a longish plug in the tube)...

Now I put on the Home Defense (standard) barrel and the damn thing will not cycle correctly working the action manually with the plug removed from the magazine (of course). AM I missing something here? Would it be different once the gun is actually being fired? The first shell going into the mag seems to encounter a lot of resistance, and then intermittently the gun will eject the chambered round and not feed the next one from the mag. !!
There is no rhyme or reason, nothing was changed except to shorten the spring to 8.5" perhaps, magazine extension caps (2) were tightened as close as possible to how they were before,,,yada yada.
2) IN addition: the lifter does not seem to have enough tension anymore, and shells being cleared from the mag. want to catch on the lifter end...
3) Also, the bolt last evening while trying to resolve this stuff, seemed to stick home on a 2.5" size SNAP-CAP and when I finally got it to clear, the damn thing gouged my trigger finger right at the knuckle big time...Ouch!
I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of this gun and getting a Benelli! or a cheap Chinese made pump from H & R (just joking). Man- I cannot believe Mossberg can have so many issues with this weapon.

With my 930, earlier this year, things were lets say "not smooth". I hope you are a bit "mechanical". A detail clean would be first. Also note as posted elsewhere on this site, mag extensions unually benefit from smoothing the inside edge of the stock mag tube where the extended tube attaches and the shell follower (pusher) must pass this smoothly. The mag spring may be too short. Restore all original see if problem persists. This cleanlyness & timing of the shell stop, the bolt release lever, and lifter operation is critical. Too little or too much magazine spring tension can effect this too. Scour this site for more tips.

I bought the first 930 spx I saw It was the first Mossberg I had ever owned. I have hunted with Remington 870 and 1187 for 25 years.
I was disappointed the first time I took it to the range. It just wouldn't sight in with slugs. Then I got on the web and found out about and Yes I had the canted front sight. So I was so pissed I just put it in the safe and forgot about it. Then one day I got it out and sent in the barrel and received a new barrel. I reassembled the gun and back in the save it went. That was 2 years ago. I had an 870 tac as my house gun then as my kids grew interested in hunting and clays I turned it back into a field gun.
That left me without a house gun so back to the safe for the 930 SPX I went.
I loaded it up the mag tube and then cycled the bold and... Nothing. A round never exited the mag tube. So next I opened the bolt and pushed the bolt release. Still nothing. Then I pushed the bolt release and not one but two rounds were released and I had to use a screw driver to pry the second round released back into the mag tube.
So after reading this thread, I cleaned the tube. looked for problems in the mag tube extension. Replaced the spring and lubricated everything. No Joy, still will not cycle an entire mag tube and consistently double loads rounds when I try to ghost load. I can't count on a gun I can.t even Load. What good is a 7 round mag tube if I can't cycle the bolt and chamber a round when I need it. And with kids around I refuse to leave a round chambered. So I am pissed and ready to wrap this thing around a tree.

Well, add me to the list of disappointed 930 owners. Those of you that know me know that I am a mossberg fan. You may also remember I received this 930 slug gun/ bird gun combo last christmas as a gift. So you know I am not one to go around bashing mossberg.

That being said, I was very happy with the 930 the very first day at the range when sighting in the scope.Like I said before it has got to be the most accurate slug gun I own. And while it was a bit "stiff" when loading the tube, it did function fine.

Now fast forward to the last 5 day. Day one of deer shotgun season I entered the woods as proud as a peacock with my 930. I made my way to my blind and began to set up. That is when my problems started. It almost took a act of congress to load the tube. I actually had to force each round into the tube, but once in the tube they slid freely. At the end of the day I tried to unload the gun and it would either not release a round from the tube or it would release two rounds and jam the gun.

This continued for all 5 days of season. Thank god I didn't see a deer I wanted to shoot.

I see this is a common issue with the 930, but I cant see where there is a solution listed, short of sending it back to mossberg. Can anyone point me to a fix for this, or would I be better off just sending it in.

Here is a pic of the sexy beast in the woods. As you can see , while it was cold , it was not a moisture issue causing the problem.

911JB, did you clean the gun thoroughly before shooting it the first time?

I did not when I got mine and had a several problems that were made worse when I tried to use in in the cold where the packing grease gelled and made the gun almost inoperable.

My issues were not with the magazine as much as with the action but if you have any packing grease on the follower it could create a lot of resistance esp. when cold.

If you did clean it, did you use any type of oil or grease on the follower or within the magazine tube? Over time it can collect dust and cause issues? I usually run mine dry, I never use any oil/grease in/on the magazine tube or follower. I may lightly coat the spring if I see a bit of rusting but I will wipe it well before installing it to make sure no extra oil gets spread around inside the tube.

You could also have a small dent or depression in the tube that is causing extra resistance. Possibly even an issue with the follower itself.

I've not had this same issue myself but these are my thoughts.

Hello MikeD, thanks for the response.

Yes I did a field strip and wiped the factory gunk out of it. Since I knew the temps were going to be sub zero, I used 1 drop of oil on the tip of my finger and rubbed that on the bolt and only the bolt. Then I used a paper towel and wiped the bolt back down. I had my mossberg 500 freeze up on me one season because I did not remove the oil, so every year just before season I do this to my slug gun.

I just spent a hour up in my gun room messing with the 930 and a couple things I found are.

1. The stiff loading of the shells into the tube actually only occurs with the first sabot. What is causing that is the shape of the follower contacting the face/shape of the sabot [hornaday sst sabot] The to shapes cause the shell to be pulled towards the bottom of the gun and causes the shell to bind against the receiver. The remaining shells will and do load easily.

2 The shells not feeding into the chamber sometimes and double feeding others is caused because the cartridge stop is not moving far enough to allow the shell to clear it. When it double feeds it is because I have bumped the bolt release button on the side, causing the cartridge stop to move just enough to allow the shells to slip by.

I am not sure if this is because, as I have read many times in this thread, the spring is to long. Or because there is a issue with the stop.

I think if I had a follower that is smooth on the front, instead of having that large nipple on it. It would solve the loading issue. As far as the feeding issue, I just don't know what to do.

To 911JB,
This is my first post to Mossbergowners, but I have read a ton on here and made adjustments and my Mossy 930 purrs like a kitten now. (Thank you to all for your educational posts, couldn't have made her purr without you, shes an animal now!) Was your 930 new when you received it for Xmas last year? If so, she may benefit from a 100 rounds or so of some 1400 FPS or greater ammo, clean/lube the bolt spring and maybe polish the shell stopper (a hard chore). It seems the moss 930 has problem cycling the bolt through the shells, but OK when firing. I was having the same probs as you, but after lots of polishing (chamber, piston, housing and mag tube) She's firing the Federal Wally bulk pack now. Still no luck with the Winchester bulk from Wally...I believe because the metal expands too much after firing. Oh! I also placed the piston gaskets (two of em) openings opposite of each other (another trick I learned here)...run the piston with VERY light oil and wipe clean and the bolt WET. Try it...I think the best thing tho is the "break-in" period with the "heavy loads"
Trust me...I was ready to sell it but I so love this gun now...

Happy Shooting!

Powderdaze. Yes the 930 was new when I received it as a christmas gift last year.

It only has about 10 rounds run through it as of now. Those were shot when I sighted in the scope. Those 10 rounds shot great. I wasn't able to cycle a round from the tube into the chamber, but I didn't mind that. I just loaded the tube, pulled back the bolt and dropped a round into the receiver and pushed the button. Then it ran just fine. That being said I never tried manually emptying the tube because I shot every round I loaded into it.

I will have to try and run some rounds through it next spring. It will make me change barrels and remove the scope because there is no way I am running $2.50 a piece sabots through it to break it in. I will run some hot birdshot through it if I have to. I might also remove the cartridge stop and do some buffing on it and see if that helps.

I wonder if mossberg has produced a new improved cartridge stop that replaces this one?

Hi all! I saw a double feed issue question a few posts ago and thought I would put my 2 cents in. There is a fix listed on Brownells.com that JM used for his. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1583 ... be-Problem. This is the link to that. It works perfect and ended all my issues that way.

I was disgruntled as well and I would agree that Mossberg should not put out a weapon that doesn't function properly. I had to get a new barrel and it took a month to get. That all being said, I fired mine for the first time today and it worked perfectly during test and then on the first round, hung up during extraction. After that, perfect 100 rounds +. When i got home, i found out why it hung on the first round. I installed the forearm retainer backwards....After the tab broke off (Ouch) it worked perfectly. Live and learn, 10 buck mistake, not a biggie.

The moral of my story is, I read this forum and got all the best info to keep bad things from happening and followed them all. It worked perfectly, so i will outline all I did before I shot it today.

1. Clean it........Twice
2. I put a Nordic +3 MXT set up with clamp, spring and FOLLOWER. Yes, use thiers, it made all the difference. Also, follow instruction for spring length. Mine works at 14 inches past. Who knows if this varies but I shot all types of shells and they all worked. (Why? Not a Choate fan) Do not overtighten the tube. Back off a touch and use a thier barrel clamp. (Love It) Took a few tries to get the spring length right but it is what it is.
3. Changed stock angle
4. Replaced Barrel. (Hand picked by Joseph at Mossberg) Had canted sight and crappy coating.
5. Frog Lubed the entire weapon! Read about, liked it, works and smells decent.
6. During reassembly, ensure the gas rings have been cleaned well and Frog Lube accordingly. When you put the rings back in place and re-install, make sure the ring splits are on opposite sides! I read that this will aid in low power shell cycling. (I ran 50 walmart slow loads without a hitch today!)
7. Thread locked the Picatinny rail one bolt at a time and torque.
8. Installed Tacstar 6 round side saddle without the bolts! I used industrial Velcro and hand cut and fit. Nothing came loose today and stayed where I stuck it.
9. Tested cycling by hand and functioned as it should have.

Like I said, I put the damn forearm retainer in backwards which cause the first shot issue. Though it broke off the tabs, it still functioned perfectly. (New one on the way)

I think most people in here knows they need to be cleaned between shooting. Prepping for each shoot has been second nature for me so mine are always clean. Follow the above and I would be surprised if anyone has any issues. But nothings perfect....

Thanks for reading and hope this gave someone some good ideas...

Took my 930 SPX out to the range last week for a round of clay shooting. Loaded her up, out flew the first clay, went to pull the trigger, nothing! Noticed the trigger was loosely flopping around in the trigger assembly. Dropped the assembly to find the trigger pin was missing.......must have dropped out the last time I broke the gun down for cleaning :cry: . When I got home, I knew it had to be around my garage bench where I do all my gun cleaning, and sure enough there it was on the floor by the bench. Found the pin, but could not for the life of me find the retaining clip. Whenever I clean my 930, I remove the trigger assembly so I can clean up the receiver behind the bolt, but never take apart anything in the trigger assembly itself.

Called Mossberg CS, and requested that they send me a retainer clip for the trigger pin. CS rep said I would have to send in at least the trigger assembly, since they don't want you to do anything to the finicky assembly with all the spring loaded parts. Was really disappointed, since this was a quick fix I could easily handle myself (pushing a pin through a hole and fastening a clip), and I had to send at least a part of my gun back to Mossberg. The CS rep could sense my frustration, so he kindly suggested that I send my whole gun and they would address any other issues on the same trip. So I told him my XS front sight was seated loosely in the dovetail slot, and I couldn't get it any tighter with the set screw. So hopefully that issue will be resolved also.

They emailed me a Fedex label, so my 930 is on it's way to being fixed. Figured if I'm gonna be without it for a couple of weeks, this is a good time of year to get it done.

You better believe this guy is gonna be extra careful to see if there are any little parts dropping off during cleaning such as this this one from the trigger assembly and that little pin in the bolt assembly. :oops:

Sorry to hear you are have a problem to begin with,,,,,but glad to hear Mossberg CS is doing the right thing for you.
Keep us posted.

911JB-I just recently purchased a 930 SPX and am having the exact problems as you are having. Mag won't release a shell when cycling or it will double feed. I found my problem maybe yours is the same. My shotgun is brand new and I found that it was shipped without the shell stop pin clip. This clip holds the shell stop pin in. If the clip is not there the pin can move back and forth and sometimes if it hangs low enough it causes the shell stop to malfunction. The clip is item number 20 in the parts diagram. Take a look at yours and see. Customer service is sending me one and I will install it myself.

Received my gun back from Maverick Arms last Friday (2-3 weeks turnaround time, not bad). Trigger pin and retainer clip were intact as I requested, and a new XS dovetail front sight was installed that fit much better than the original. Ignacio was the rep I dealt with, and he got the job done in a timely fashion as far as I'm concerned. :D

Took it out to the range yesterday, ran about 20 slugs downrange and the sights were dead on, didn't even need adjusting. Also put 3 -25 rd boxes of Federal #8 Target loads thru it at the skeet range without a single problem.

So my first (and hopefully last) experience with Mossberg CS/Maverick Arms has been a positive one indeed.

Mossberg sent me my Shell stop pin clip. It only took 9 days. I installed it and the shells feed perfectly now. Good experience well, except for the part being absent in the first place.

Back