• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

That is ironic in its own subtle way. Maybe it is to give practice in immediate action failure drills.
Seemed odd to me too. The #8 target loads worked really well, but that other stuff caused me to have to really yank on the bolt handle to eject the spent shell. I got through less than a box before I gave up on the crap.

Scratch Marks on Magazine Tube*more pics added*

I purchase my 930 SPX this past weekend. While taking it apart to clean and oil it I found these 2 marks on the Magazine Tube. I had only shot 10 rounds through the gun so far. The marks are deep enough to feel with my fingernail. The one mark extends to the threads where the extension screws onto however it is not deep at the point and the threads are fine. What are you thoughts? Friend of mine says take it back another says if the gun fires and functions good why bother. Personally it fires and doesn't seem to have any other issues. Anyone else find marks on their tubes like this?

930_003.jpg

930_002.jpg

930_001.jpg

930_004.jpg
I also had these scratches appear .......I'm getting a new Mag Tube ; but I'm wondering how hard it is to get the old scratched one off ? Any hints ??

I also had these scratches appear .......I'm getting a new Mag Tube ; but I'm wondering how hard it is to get the old scratched one off ? Any hints ??
Heat from a blow dryer or heat gun will loosen the locktite on the threads.
That is if it is anything like the 500 series.

Removing such scratches usually requires removing enough metal to change the dimensions of the tube. This is often enough to cause the secondary gas system to leak, which will result in cycling problems. If this issue develops it is time to upgrade to the Boron Nitride magazine tube from the Pro Series while you're at it. It is less prone to this damage as the surface is much harder. If you have a gunsmith handy with the correct tools, have that burr on your secondary gas system taken care of before installing the new tube.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

William -
I got rid of that pesky burr on the secondary gas system all by myself , followed instructions found on here/youtube/internet . I also got rid of the sharp end on the recoil spring in the stock thanks to your video ! Thanks !!
I am waiting on my new "tube" from Mossberg .........sure hope it's the Boron Nitrate one

Yesterday I had a lot of feeding issues. Thought all my problems were behind me, but they returned. I had cleaned the gun before taking it out. Last night I went to clean it and found a third ring when I removed the piston. Anyone have any ideas what and where this belongs? Calling Mossberg Monday2017-03-11 09.18.13.jpg 2017-03-11 09.18.28.jpg

It looks like the one that belongs in your secondary gas system, but it could be the mysterious 'seal ring' that some early guns had. Have you removed the rings to clean the piston before? What specific model do you have? Some earlier guns had an additional seal ring that you can see in the parts diagram in your manual. It shouldn't live 'on' your piston so much as 'between' the piston and the gas ports of your cylinder.

William

It looks like the one that belongs in your secondary gas system, but it could be the mysterious 'seal ring' that some early guns had. Have you removed the rings to clean the piston before? What specific model do you have? Some earlier guns had an additional seal ring that you can see in the parts diagram in your manual. It shouldn't live 'on' your piston so much as 'between' the piston and the gas ports of your cylinder.

William

Thanks William. Will see what Mossberg says tomorrow. I have cleaned this about a dozen times now. I have the 930 JM Pro 22". Had it about 18 months, new. Just ordered your MST/CFR/ECF to see how that helps it. Also looking at ordering a Nordiccomp spring and tube. Any better spring you would recommend? Thanks.

@AZDRYHEAT...

I own a 930 JM Pro 24" since 2014 and I've never seen this small 3rd ring.
In a sheet of GUNSAMERICA you can read a footnote that this seal ring is not use in all models.
Think that some gassystems are'nt 100% leakproof so Mossberg use this seal ring.

Our in-house 22" JM Pros don't have the ring. Yours is looking more and more like it may have come loose from the secondary.

As for magazine springs, we like the Wolff springs and buy them by the 10 pack from Midway USA.

William
OR3GUN

Hello all!! I'm new to the forum, and thank God for it. I scored a mossberg 930 Blackwater shotty brand new for 550 bucks off a friend. I ran a bore snake thru it before I took it out to shoot it. It shot great! Then I brought it home and field stripped it. When I reassembled it, I noticed it wouldn't cycle the rounds out of the magazine, up the lift and into the chamber. I thought I lost a part, but as it turns out this was a pretty common problem. I read all 70 pages of this post and I was able to perform the brownells fix. I used some emery cloth to flatten out that sharp edge, and I took my dremel w a polishing wheel and some of that mothers polish and shined up that edge. I fumbled around with reassembling that hitch pin, put'er back together and tried her out and the problem seems to be fixed! Thx to everyone who contributed their .02 cents, it made it a lot easier. I've always wanted a tactical shotgun and I'm very happy with my 930 Blackwater edition!

Last edited:
Nice job, man. Welcome from E TN.
There really is a goldmine of info on this board. I'm glad this thread zeroed in on your challenge.

When you get a chance, stop over in the New Member Welcome Area and introduce yourself. You'll find a bunch of friendly folks on board.

Nice job, man. Welcome from E TN.
There really is a goldmine of info on this board. I'm glad this thread zeroed in on your challenge.

When you get a chance, stop over in the New Member Welcome Area and introduce yourself. You'll find a bunch of friendly folks on board.
Thank you, will do!

Hey guys new to the 930 world. Just purchased my spx and oddly out of the box I'm already having some issues. Having problems with firing, 1st round goes well then nothing just a nice click with no bang. Cycle to the next roundand we are good ( sometimes ). Called Mossberg and they said it may be the shell stop that was causing the issue. I wasn't to convinced so I also sent an email and they added that the firearm might have to be shipped in. Before I end this, I did do a full teardown and cleaning. Piston did have random build up and thoroughly cleaned it and the rest of the components. Went and shot 50 more rounds and still had the same problem just not as horrible. ( Getting 2 to 4 rounds ) before no fire. Just wanted some insight on the situation that I am currently having. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So, you aren't getting the next round into the chamber, or it is not firing when you do?

If the round isn't being fed, yes you are probably looking at a sticky shell stop or too much spring behind it. This will be more likely to happen with shells that have aluminum bases and indicates a burr or mold mark on the tip of your shell stop needs a bit of polishing work.

If the shell is chambering, but you are getting a click, the gun likely isn't going fully back in to battery. The both may go fully forward, but the slide (under the bolt) isn't going fully forward. This prevents the bolt from locking into the barrel and blocks the firing pin. This one is a bit more complicated to troubleshoot, but we can walk you through some things to look at.

If you can further define the problem we can point you in the right direction.

William

In that case, check the rounds that aren't firing for a mark from the firing pin. If there is no mark, then the firing pin is being blocked because the bolt isn't locking up. The slide under the bolt isn't coming far enough forward to do so, which is usually because the piston isn't fully returning to the gas system.

With the forearm removed and an EMPTY gun pointed up, pull back on the pusher assembly and piston. Hold this fully rearward by the pusher assembly and release while keeping the barrel seated with your other hand. The piston should fully return to the cylinder under the tension of the spring alone. If not, we need to look at buildup on the rings (remove them to clean) or an issue with the recoil system. Since the gun is new, neither should be the case. If the piston binds on returning to battery, check its fit over the magazine tube by itself, then check its fit inside the cylinder by itself. If both of these tests go well, your assembly may just need broken in with a few heavy rounds.

William

Back