• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 once again

I couldn't resist the price so I'm back here with a (not sure) early 930 field model in Walnut that was very clean. Sold the 930 28" barrel as soon as I took it out of "jail" at the LGS and slapped the new 24" turkey barrel on it. In a hurry, forgot to remove the gas piston sitting under the longer barrel and got to the range.

You know the rest of the story, perhaps. No ejection of fired round. On third shot the forend cracked from the magazine cap all the way to the bolt and a sliver went flying. Just a bit hard to shoot with an inch of forend gone so headed home thinking I had a lemon. Got half way and stopped the car and re-checked the manual. Buyer lived closer to range so being at home he was accommodating and got my piston back...

What a dope! My only excuse is that owning an SX3 the gas piston always stays behind on the mag. tube. Long story short, Mossberg replaced the forend for free in 5 days which was quite cool. Now I realized on Saturday that the end facing the mag. screw cap is not square or parallel to the rear of the forend. How is it possible in any (vendors?) woodshop to cut a piece of wood on a cnc machine un-square. And why do many of us wonder why American manufacturing is in the shitter? Anyway Mossberg was told today. I'm betting they send me another.

Mossberg manufacturing/quality has tapered off since leaving Connecticut and setting up the tax break Mexican-American "plant" in Eagle Pass, Mexas......er, Texas.

Interesting story, Simon.
Goldstars to the accommodating buyer and Mossy's customer service.

Black mark to Mossberg QC for letting that out their door.

Back