• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX BW Issues Help Required

BlownC6

.22LR
First of all...... This is my most favorite FTL gun to point down range, when it goes bang, I absolutely love it!!
I had it for 2 months, its brand new and has 40 rounds though it. First time out, a few cycle issues where it didn't load from the magazine or it tried to load two shells at once and got jammed up.

I bought the OR3GUN field kit for the 930, thinking that was going to fix it??? It did not. Called Mossberg, they sent new parts.... Still the same issues.

I love this gun and won't to keep it, I need some help on what to do next???

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum...

As far as your question(s)...I will defer to the experts here.

You may have a broken bolt stop / forward shell stop pin. There may also be debris behing the bolt stop / Forward Shell stop Lever. Look on Youtube as there is a video there that does a great job of explaining how to remove the pin. Or, the magazine tube may not be screwed all the way in (Try turning it and see if it moves). If it moves, I have been told by Mossberg to screw it in until it stops.

What new parts did Mossberg send you?

I agree with the shell stop being the likely cause. Aluminum based shells can also hang up on possible burr/seam from the MIM process used to manufacture the shell stop. Brownell's has an article that may be some help:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=...ing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

If Mossberg sent only a front shell stop, try to get the complete assembly and check for any wear marks or evidence of your original binding against a point in the receiver. Also make sure that there isn't a build-up of crud behind the assembly.

If you remove your trigger group and feed a few rounds into the tube, you should be able to slowly draw the bolt back and watch each shell release and observe how the shell stop functions. If the shell is close to releasing when pulled only 1/2" back it may double feed under live fire. It should only release when the bolt is pulled nearly to the end of its travel and should do so every time. It is tough to describe what you're looking for, but you should see how shell stop assembly interacts with the bolt carrier (slide) and possibly determine where it is out of spec.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

This is the first I've heard of a "Broken bolt stop"?? I did notice when I put the gun back together and torqued the nut on the extension tube it wouldnt tighten????

Ammo: I'm using Remington Slugs, the 40 or so rounds thats been through this brand new gun have all been Rem. slugs

Mossberg sent me an Extractor, Extractor Spring and Extractor plunger very small bag with 3 parts in it??? I've also read about polishing the latch?? William, I think I talked to you last week as I just bought your field kit

I own an SPX BW too and had some issues but LOVE it now. I bought the Or3gun stuff to make my 930 more reliable too but I was having FTF issues from the tube. For me the really long spring was either kinking or putting too much pressure on the short follower causing it to tilt. When it got to the junction of the magazine tube/tube extension it would grab the seam and get stuck.

I did a lot research and found out a shorter but stronger wolf spring was the answer. Well... that along with an anti-tilt long tailed follower was the best answer for me. The follower i bought has a spring loaded colapseable tail to still allow the max amount of shells to be loaded into the tube. I found it on ebay marketed for the 500/590 pump shotguns. That combination doesn't let the spring kink or follower tilt. I haven't had a tube/feed issue since.

I hope you get it worked out.

Rick

Last edited:
I saw this tip elsewhere and it works great. Stick a cleaning rod through the hole at the end of the mag extension. The one for my pellet gun was the only one that would fit. Insert it when taking the gun apart and reassembling. It keeps the spring from kinking and makes reassembly a lot easier. Once I stopped using Winchester ammo, I haven't had one FTF or FTE problems.

I own an SPX BW too and had some issues but LOVE it now. I bought the Or3gun stuff to make my 930 more reliable too but I was having FTF issues from the tube. For me the really long spring was either kinking or putting too much pressure on the short follower causing it to tilt. When it got to the junction of the magazine tube/tube extension it would grab the seam and get stuck.

I did a lot research and found out a shorter but stronger wolf spring was the answer. Well... that along with an anti-tilt long tailed follower was the best answer for me. The follower i bought has a spring loaded colapseable tail to still allow the max amount of shells to be loaded into the tube. I found it on ebay marketed for the 500/590 pump shotguns. That combination doesn't let the spring kink or follower tilt. I haven't had a tube/feed issue since.

I hope you get it worked out.

Rick
Rick,

Do you have the part# for the Wolf Spring and follower your purchased? I'd try that ... hell I'd try anything right now!! Thanks

I saw this tip elsewhere and it works great. Stick a cleaning rod through the hole at the end of the mag extension. The one for my pellet gun was the only one that would fit. Insert it when taking the gun apart and reassembling. It keeps the spring from kinking and makes reassembly a lot easier. Once I stopped using Winchester ammo, I haven't had one FTF or FTE problems.

At this point all 40 or so shells through this gun have all been Remington and federal's.

Thanks for all the help.... Mossberg has told me I can ship it back for repair. Its frustrating... I'm not a gunsmith and I don't want to risk making it worst!!

This morning, I called Mossberg and asked them to send me a new Mag Tube and spring and its on the way. I will say they've been very helpful in trying to get my issues worked out and I feel confident there's light at the end of the tunnel. My order should be here by May first and I'll update this thread...hopefully with good news!

Just and FYI.... This is what I've done so far to my Mossberg 930 SPX Blackwater, in case someone else is having the same issues.

Issues:
1) When loading shells, they get stuck and wont go into magizine tube.
2) Pulling charging bolt doesn't always advance a shell from mag tube, to carrier, to the chamber.
3) double feed is an issue

These issues have been my experience with brand new gun firing Remington and Federal Slugs.

Modifications/Repairs:

1) Changed to a High Visibility "Orange" Follower
2) Installed OR3GUN Field Kit ( $100) Didn't fix FTF/FTL issue, however nice kit and they've also been very helpful and I'm sure this kit will benefit the gun once the real issue is fixed.
3) Mossberg sent an Extractor, Extractor Spring and Extractor plunger ( also, didnt fix FTF/FTL issue)
4) As of today...ordered and waiting for New Mag Tube and spring

I sent mine back to Mossberg to address a failure to cycle issue. They replaced the gas system and shell stop assembly. It's now a rocking shotgun, using Remington, Federal, and estate target loads. Not one problem since I gave up on that Winchester stuff. I'd also like to know the part # for the Wolf follower.

Back