• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX Gas Spring Install Issues...

Help please!! I've been looking around to find a forum where people have done what I did and this is basically the only place I've seen. Anyways when I was disassembling my mossy today I took a look at the gas port system and said to myself that looks dirty! So I proceeded to unscrew the cap on the front with the two big notches in it, and guess what? BAM that thing shot off like a rocket! Needless to say I was surprised but cleaned the big, heavy duty spring and inside it anyways. When I was done I picked up the barrel and a little ring fell out of the gas port system. I thought it fell out the front end so I cleaned it and put it back in behind the spring, then with much force I put the spring back in and screwed the cap back on. Well I tried to reassemble it and the mag tube was catching on the ring so I took it out and put it in the back end because it sorta looked like the ring in the manual and that's where it said it goes. The gun reassembled after that but the back part sticks out more than I remember it used to. So my question what the hell is that ring and which side did it really come out of? The side closer to the muzzle or the trigger assembly?

Re: 930 SPX gas seal ring??!!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=512

Not sure if either of those videos help you but would you mind taking a picture of the ring that you are talking about. I can go pull my 930 apart and tell you where it goes once I know exactly what you are describing. Will help you get your 930 spx back and running :twisted: .

Sorry, I watched both those videos and I didn't see the ring. I'll pull it apart later today and take pictures...I might even get video if I can find my camcorder!

ninjaflood said:
Help please!! I've been looking around to find a forum where people have done what I did and this is basically the only place I've seen. Anyways when I was disassembling my mossy today I took a look at the gas port system and said to myself that looks dirty! So I proceeded to unscrew the cap on the front with the two big notches in it, and guess what? BAM that thing shot off like a rocket! Needless to say I was surprised but cleaned the big, heavy duty spring and inside it anyways. When I was done I picked up the barrel and a little ring fell out of the gas port system. I thought it fell out the front end so I cleaned it and put it back in behind the spring, then with much force I put the spring back in and screwed the cap back on. Well I tried to reassemble it and the mag tube was catching on the ring so I took it out and put it in the back end because it sorta looked like the ring in the manual and that's where it said it goes. The gun reassembled after that but the back part sticks out more than I remember it used to. So my question what the hell is that ring and which side did it really come out of? The side closer to the muzzle or the trigger assembly?

There is a gas seal ring assembly that fits behind that spring and is to be pressed/retained between the spring and the front lip of the port. It is a two-part type seal, a wide outer with a narrow, circular ring seal that fits in the groove in the inside of the wider seal. I know because the small ring seal came out with the mag tube on my first disassembly and I mistakenly reassembled it on the mag tube at the front of the mag tube seal asseembly. When I fired a couple hundred, the gun would only cycle slugs. The small circular seal was forced into the front port area and wedged itself at an unnatural angle behind the spring. I disassembled and repaired replaced and all is well. I placed an order for some Mossberg swag and the customer service rep threw in the front port seal assembly for me just in case I damaged them earlier. Hope this helps.

ninjaflood said:
Sorry, I watched both those videos and I didn't see the ring. I'll pull it apart later today and take pictures...I might even get video if I can find my camcorder!

You won't see this in any dissassembly video, as the spring is not recommended to be removed for cleaning - it is an absolute bitch to reassembly and you must be aware of that seal pressed evenly and centered behind the spring when tightening the retaining screw.

Ok so I finally got around to disassembling my SPX today and I took pictures. Sorry it took so long I had midterms. Now how do you add pictures??

I tried to hold the ring up so you can see it. There are two small circular indentations on the inside of the ring and it is kinda sloped on the outside. I put it in the back afterwards but im wondering if I put it in the wrong side.

Attachments

• IMG_3412_1.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 3,090
  • IMG_3413_1.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 3,088

Ok what you have a picture of is the gas piston assembly but I think I found this little ring inside the bottom of the barrel thing the gas piston assembly goes in. I think it was underneath the giant spring that you can barely see through the gas vent ports.

Check out that second picture I have posted. The little ring is sitting beside the gas assembly system, it's on top of the bottom part of the barrel.

ninjaflood, when I click on your pictures, my computer comes under some "Misleading Application Download Request" attack, URL a3af77.thesafer1.com. FYI all.

O'DubhGhaill said:
ninjaflood, when I click on your pictures, my computer comes under some "Misleading Application Download Request" attack, URL a3af77.thesafer1.com. FYI all.

I have problems with imageshack too sometimes.

Dang lemme try and post it another way...

183397_1286651302853_1727300548_521151_7702325_n.jpg

Rossignol said:
O'DubhGhaill said:

I have problems with imageshack too sometimes.

Mine is doing the same thing. I thought that the SPX doesnt have a 'gas ring', or is this from INSIDE the piston housing attached to the barrel that Ive heard is a PITA to take apart?? Curious cause no gas ring falls outta mine.... just the piston (when just taking piston out after removing barrel, not disassembling the... I dont know how to remove all those 'internals' from the piston housing). Now I'm thinking, should I take out all the internals and clean them, if so how often?
Stephen

Yeeeeessssss remove the internals and clean them! Then tell me if the ring came from inside there! :twisted:
Plus if you look at the spring it's probably black, the original color was red, that should tell you something... Also watch out the spring tries to shoot off the top so I put a string through the housing when I disassemble it so nothing escapes. Remember to remember the order in which everything comes out!

I am going to pull mine completely apart now and get some pictures of it for you. Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

Attachments

• IMG_3497.jpg
    783 KB · Views: 3,059
  • IMG_3499.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 3,054
  • IMG_3500.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 3,053

Its cool thanks for doing that! Yeah I was pretty sure that ring came from inside the gas chamber, but now I am positive! Be careful putting it back together, and clean that thing out good! Also I like how you used a gun lock to secure everything, very creative.

I am glad that helped. I figured a gun lock is something you always have laying around a shotgun and certainly got the job done.

Back