• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Model 46-B

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
I recently got this from my father. He has had it for awhile, but until a few days ago, I did not know it was a Mossberg. It is a Model 46-B. It is tube fed and shoots .22LR, .22L, and .22 Short. The scope is a Mossberg No. M4c. It is missing the front sight and has a brown finish instead of blued. I would assume that is due to wear and age. I cannot find a serial # on it. Anybody know where to look?

DSC00962.jpg

It is a pretty cool old rifle. The trigger is very crisp and the bore is bright. The stock has one small ding in it that would sand out.
If anyone has any information on this rifle I would welcome it.

Very nice!

All I can tell you about the 46B is that it was made between 1938 and '49 according to our Mossberg model database. As I understand it, firearms were not required to be stamped with serial numbers until the Gun Control Act of 1968 so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have one.

If it does, you would most likely find it visible somewhere on the barrel, receiver, trigger guard, or buttplate.

SNIPER is correct...I have a few American made rifles with no serial number due to their age...including this Marlin Model 80 bolt action, made in the early 1960's, thats chambered for .22short, long, and long rifle.

MARLINM80small-1.jpg

That's a nice piece of history you got there...!!

Thanks. It has a SS# on it, which I assume came from a previous owner as it is not my Dad's.
I call this rifle a "rescue" as my Dad stores his guns in less than ideal conditions and alot of them have mildew on them. :shock:
There is a Mossberg bolt action 12 ga. shotgun there that has a factory adjustable choke on it. I will be rescueing that one too. It is clean so far and in very good shape. I want to keep it that way. :)

Definately will post pics of that one. IMO it is in about 80-85% condition. Blueing is very good. Previous owner too good care of it.
Doe anyone know where I can get a front sight for the 46-B? Gun Parts Corp? I don't even know if they are still in business.

They are currently sold out of the front sight assy. I will keep checking.
What do you guys think about a restoration? The rifle mechanically is good, the stock is in great shape, but the finish is as I said, brown to silver in most places. The scope is the same way. I don't want to break up the gun and scope as I imagine they were bought together. The scope is mounted fairly low and the rifle had a hooded front sight on it, so the front sight was probably removed so the owner could see through the scope better.

Back