• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg MVP Bolt Action Reviews

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
This is a thread dedicated for Mossberg MVP Bolt Action reviews.

I purchased one of these guns last week and have had nothin but hell with it. You can't get it to bore sight. I have sighted in a large number of rifles over the years and have never had one come out of the box and bore sight at over 38" high... I tried 3 different brands of weaver rings as well as 3 different scopes! All were off the same. Oh yeah, used two different bore sight tools. The customer service group at Mossberg really sucks. They told me that I need to shoot it instead of bore sighting first and that you can't bore site these guns. They were about as much support as an old pair of crotchless underwear. This was my first and last new Mossberg Product. It is obvious that they don't care about customer service or their customers. I would gladly return this POS if I could and go buy a different gun if I could but it looks like I'm stuck with it. So here's to you Mossberg! You suck!

Some reviews of the Mossberg MVP for those who may be interested :arrow:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2FyXMFb36A[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgtAsvNcf-s&feature=related[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwy-1jF3LVY&feature=related[/youtube]

Well my friend and I purchased one recently at Cabela's in Michigan and have nothing but awesome stuff to say about it :) The Bolt runs good, It's light, We tried different Mags, Standard 30 & 20 round Steel AR mags and Magpuls P-Mag with no issues my friend loves his New MVP.

Attachments

• MVP2.jpg
    MVP2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 5,360
  • MVP6.jpg
    MVP6.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 5,356
Here's my new rifle picked up this week. I've added a Jard trigger, Leupold VX3 scope and GGG rail. Can't wait to sight her in. The bolt worked fine btw...

Mossberg_MVP_Rifle.JPG

The new MVP Predator (18.5" barrel) showed up late last week, so I finally got it cleaned up.

The initial cleaning led me to think it had been test fired more than just a few rounds at the factory as it required a pretty extensive barrel swabbing with ED's Red and Butch's Bore Shine to get the bore clean.

Once cleaned up, I mounted a Mueller Target scope on it, MU83244TD, securing it to the short rail segments with Leupold QRW quick release rings. The slots on the factory mounted rail are shallower than I would like to see, but the mount was solid and didn't seem to be any problem.

I loaded up 50 rounds of Lake City surplus brass with 55gr FMJ, 26.5gr VARGET and CCI #400 primers. This is a down the middle of the road loading for this round, and were loaded for the sole purpose of breaking in this new barrel. This will also generate a batch of fire formed brass for this rifle for fine tuning high accuracy ammunition for the next range trip.

The range trip, weather a very crisp 38 degrees, wind quartering in from behind us at 5-6 miles per hour. It was light gloves and a furry hat to keep the ears warm. Range is 100 yards. I benched the gun on two sand bags, pulled the bolt out and got the bore lined up on the center of the target. The scope was not too far off the sight alignment, but took 4 turns of elevation and 3 turns of windage to get it lined up with the bore.

The first three shots all fell very closely packed, but 3 inches off the target center. Barrel was cleaned after these first three shots.

The next 18 shots were groups of 3 each, with barrel cleaning in between. Scope adjustments were made after each group to walk the group into the center of the target.

Then I went to groups of five, with cleaning in between, until the breakin ammunition was consumed.

The end results are very encouraging, not quite sub moa, but very close to it. I really did not expect too much from breakin ammunition and a new barrel. The group in the picture is pretty much average. That group measures .973

My observations:

The length of pull is too short. I know this impaired my shooting as I need to hunch up and twist out of good shooting posture to get a good bench presentation. This rifle will be fitted with an extension before the next trip.

The bolt action is pretty decent, with the extraction from the AR magazine being a lot more crude than I liked. That feature of the rifle is one of it's main selling features, so that is pretty much a moot point, you live with it. The bolt locks up very nicely, and feels pretty solid. Extraction after the shot rivals a semi-automatic, it likes to throw brass far enough away that you have to go chase it.

The trigger is very nice. From the factory, it initially broke at 3.7 pounds. Since I use my rifles for hunting, I like a trigger with a little more beef than the average bench gun, so I like the trigger. It's very clean feeling, breaks like a good trigger should, and although I felt no need to adjust it, it is adjustable.

Recoil is practically non-existant. You don't expect a lot from a 223, but the heavy barrel tames even that to just a mild thump.

Accuracy from the initial breakin was very good. I am very confident that with proper load development, this rifle will be capable of sub-moa performances at ranges exceeding 200 yards. I think a bit heavier bullet will help produce a load that is consistently accurate.

The fun factor of this gun is high. With high capacity magazines, this can be a PD or rabbit sniping fun-o-rama.

If you get a chance to grab one of these, do it.

Attachments

• DSC00906.JPG
    DSC00906.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 4,336
  • DSC00907.JPG
    DSC00907.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,344
Thanks for the report and nice shoot'n!

Just about every factory new Mossberg firearm I've seen has been filthy and covered with a black carbon residue. Don't know if it's fouling or just dust from the factory, but my 590a1 was covered inside and out. Good luck with the rifle and keep us posted on how she shoots for ya...

Got to put my hands on an MVP Predator and a Varmintfor the first time this afternoon.

Have to say I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish on these rifles. The factory stocks look amazing and the rifles were surprisingly light weight. Nice job Mossberg...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Got to put my hands on an MVP Predator and a Varmintfor the first time this afternoon.

Have to say I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish on these rifles. The factory stocks look amazing and the rifles were surprisingly light weight. Nice job Mossberg...

I look forward to the release of the MVP in .308...its going to be a great hunting rifle.

I got my MVP in December. The action got smoother with use. The trigger is set at 2 1/2 pounds and breaks like a glass rod so l'm leaving it in. Ball ammo prints groups from just under an inch to just over two and a half at a hundred depending on brand. Handoads and factory varmint ammo best that by half again.

Pretty dang impressive for a production grade hunting rifle if you ask me.

This ones a keeper.

put another 60 rounds thro my mvp today and I just love this rifle! now that I have my scope zero'd perfectly its such a joy! blew up milk jugs and pumpkins all day. most people complain about the mag release but I was wearing mechanix gloves with a thermal liner and I could reach in and get the mag released no probs. so happy with this rifle I cant wait to get past 100 yards now!

I like my 5.56 MVP Flex. Stock is removable and adjustable. If I want I can replace it with solid Felx stock from 500. Barrel is nice and heavy with flash suppressor. Nice package.

Picking up my first Mossberg rifle on Wednesday. Getting a MVP in .308 with the tan stock.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/mvp-patrol-rifle-27742/

From what I have researched, it seems like 95% of these rifles have no issues and the owners love them. Then there is about 5% of owners who have some issues, or unfortunate customer service issue. I am really hoping that this one is a good one! I am planning on using it for deer hunting, I have had bad luck with finding "The Right" deer rifle. I hope this one is it!

Back