• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Patriot Accuracy

Wondering what accuracy owners are getting out of the box (any patriot model) with factory ammo and custom loads. I've never owned a mossberg rifle,,, never wanted one,,, until I saw the patriot! Love the looks and what I've read of them. Got a 270 with walnut stock on the way and wondering what to expect.

I'm looking at the 300 mag, but I'm just shooting targets. Maybe a lighter load & flatter? I dunno yet.
I've never owned a high-power target rifle, so no experience here, but I want to shoot 300 to 500 yards.

Anyhow, I'm interested to see how you guys fare.

I'm looking at the 300 mag, but I'm just shooting targets. Maybe a lighter load & flatter? I dunno yet.
I've never owned a high-power target rifle, so no experience here, but I want to shoot 300 to 500 yards.

Anyhow, I'm interested to see how you guys fare.

.300 Win-Mag is not really a target round. You'll burn through the barrel and need to replace it by the time you get used to the rifle. I shoot .223 out to 600yd and .308 out to 1250yd. A heavier, hotter load is just overkill and does not guarantee any better accuracy. Learning your rifle's capabilities and how to adapt to external variables like wind, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. will go much further to improve accuracy than simply using a larger caliber. I have a range buddy that shoots .17 WSM out to 500yd more accurately that most shoot .308...

Good points. One of the guys loves the .204 Ruger for targets. I never even considered that round, & the Patriot isn't chambered for it, but this guy shoots the heck out of it.

You might also look into .270.

It's typically a hotter, flatter trajectory than .308 and ammo is still readily available. Personally, I enjoy the challenge of shooting .223 and .308 to the edge of their performance capabilities....

The rifleman's round? LOL yes that's a classic for sure. I sort of lumped it with the .30-30 as more historical than practical.

I've only shot a couple .223's but I did very well with them. I can see why they're so popular.

For my money, it doesn't get much better than the .308 as far as its mix of performance, practicality, price, and availability. It's a lot of fun to shoot at an extremely wide range of distance...

Well I just found out you can use Rem 700 LA bases on these rifles. Very glad to hear, I prefer leupold dovetail base and rings to weaver style

Back