• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Pump Action Forends

Re: Anyone looking for a wood stock and corncob forend?

The more I see these 500's with corncob wood forends and stocks, the more I want to set mine up like that. :eek: :mrgreen:

nitesite said:
Tanker:::: I waited five years and looked at a LOT of wood stock sets for a 500/590 before I pulled the trigger and bought one from a friend who is currently serving in the US MIL living in Alaska.

YMMV. of course.....

Sorry, but I didn't feel like a fool when I bought it, and I certainly don't feel like a fool now.

aksavanaman said:
Just in case Shotten or nitesite missed it in the other thread....Thanks again!

Awesome looking boomsticks!

yours is cooler looking AK

That's awesome!!! Glad its in good hands :)

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Re: mossberg 500 forend concerns

I heard it is normal too. I have a friend that states this as his #1 reason for never buying a mossberg, says it will scare the deer away lol

stickyricky3 said:
says it will scare the deer away lol
if your a sloppy hunter.....think about stalking, your not running, your taking care not to make noise, its not that tough, just an excuse

oli700 said:
stickyricky3 said:
says it will scare the deer away lol
if your a sloppy hunter.....think about stalking, your not running, your taking care not to make noise, its not that tough, just an excuse

Thats pretty much what I told him. I dont think its that noticeable. I have taken 4 (im only 26yrs old and dont bow hunt) and its never been a problem for me.

I did find one that is reasonable. A little time and patience. I am going to sell the black plastic stock and rat tail forend if anybody is looking for one. Ron

You will do better selling it if you place it up in the market place. ;)

I do plan on doing that. Sorry this was mistaken to be a FS ad. Ron

old mossy said:
You will do better selling it if you place it up in the market place. ;)

Is Mossberg the only manufacturer to make a pinned forend?

I've been browsing forends lately. As I'm sure a number know by now the forend on my 500 is pinned. I'm kind of over the idea of getting tactical stuff, but I can't get the thought of having a real honest-to-goodness slide tube out of my head. It's that reason alone that may make me eventually change the forend. The problem is, I also like the way the pinned forend feels in my hand. The contours fit my hand nicely, and the checkering feels good which allows me to get a good grip on it. I see Mossberg has something similar for the 6 3/4" slide tube, but it doesn't have the checkering. Anyway, to make a long story short, all this got me thinking. Is Mossberg the only manufacturer that uses pinned style forends, or does anybody else stick them on their guns as well?

Re: Is Mossberg the only manufacturer to make a pinned foren

To be honest, I don't even know why Mossberg does it.

And I don't know of anyone that likes them that way (pinned).

I can't speak to other manufacturers, my 870 does not have this but it is probably 20+/- years old, but I've questioned why OFM decided to go this route. I'm not sure if they have any issues with them but it seems like a pretty wink link in an otherwise bulletproof design.

While it might be a cost saving for them, I'd rather have them bump the price $30 and give me a rock solid tube that will allow me to upgrade at will without having to acquire extra parts.

John A. said:
To be honest, I don't even know why Mossberg does it.

And I don't know of anyone that likes them that way (pinned).

I don't particularly care for the pinned setup myself. I just liked the way the actual forend felt in my hand. It's a moot point now, though, since I just placed an order for a slide tube and forend from MidwayUSA. :) I'll be glad to get a proper forend on there, and get that pinned one off. I just got the 6 3/4" tube, and the Mossberg forend that fits. I'm not going to do any tactical addons, so I couldn't justify the extra cost for the 7 3/4" tube and forend.

MikeD said:
I can't speak to other manufacturers, my 870 does not have this but it is probably 20+/- years old, but I've questioned why OFM decided to go this route. I'm not sure if they have any issues with them but it seems like a pretty wink link in an otherwise bulletproof design.

While it might be a cost saving for them, I'd rather have them bump the price $30 and give me a rock solid tube that will allow me to upgrade at will without having to acquire extra parts.

I think it's a weak link, too. The pinned system just feels cheap. The inside of the pinned forend has ribs that go along the length of it. I've got less than 100 rounds through my 500, and there is already a striped wear pattern showing up on the magazine tube. I also wonder how long the actual pinned forend will last since it's plastic sliding across metal. It's seems to me like it would get sloppier over time as it wears down.

I'm sure they do it to save money. The Dunhams Sports here constantly sells the 500 like mine (combo with 28" Accu-Choke field barrel, 24" rifled slug barrel with cantilevered scope mount, a cheap BSA Deerhunter scope, and sling) for $289. When I got mine last year it was $399. I seem to see that cheapo pinned forend on 500 combos more than anything else (doesn't matter where sold).

I guess I'm confused. From the 100's of videos on youtube one if the easiest "upgrades" on a 500 is to change out the forend to a "tactical" style. There is even a video of a guy doing it with the exact same forend I am about to buy. I have just ordered a new 500a from my gun shop and about to get a replacement forend from ATI but on the ATI site it says.

"Made for Mossberg Shotguns with a removable forend, any Mossberg Shotgun newer than 2006 should be checked to insure that it has a removable forend."

Is this what you mean by "pinned"?

Don't ALL Mossy's 500a's come with removable front ends? The one I'm buying has a matt finish, an 18.5" barrel and a synthetic stock and forend. The forend has "hashmarks" that make it look like the wood one but it's not wood. I have also seen the 500 for sale online in the same configuration but with a rounded more police looking forend. I have an old (early 80's) 500 with the wood forend and stock for a field gun but want the new one set up with a forend with rails for flashlight...

I'm I doing to be disappointed when the new one gets here??!! If it helps the gun I'm buying is in CA and is $289.

Thanks for the help.

I think I may have answered my own question... someday i'll learn to do thorough search before posting!

It sees to come down to model numbers 50411 vs. 50521. The 50521 is less expensive has a Parkerized finish and a pinned (non-removable) forend. The 50411 is blued and has the removable forend. Which begs the question...Why? $$ I guess.

Looks like I ordered the wrong one if I want to switch out the forend. However I guess you can change out the rail so you can switch out the forend... and I thought the mossy was a "simple gun to own and operate"

Anyway, there it is for anyone that stumbles on this thread without doing a good enough search too!!

Good Luck.

tr

mossbergtodd said:
"Made for Mossberg Shotguns with a removable forend, any Mossberg Shotgun newer than 2006 should be checked to insure that it has a removable forend."

Is this what you mean by "pinned"?

Pinned forends have the action bars pinned right to the forend. There is no slide tube. Mossberg has two styles of pinned forends - a field style and security style. The security style appears to be mainly on the Maverick 88. You can plenty of examples of that style in the Maverick forum if you wish. I have not seen a 500 with that style pinned forend. The Maverick 88 also has the same pinned field style forend the 500 has. An easy way to tell a pinned forend when looking at pictures or videos is to look for two holes near the back of it. That's where the action bars are pinned. Here is a photo of my 500 where you can easily see the holes I'm talking about.

I decided to go with the 6 3/4" slide tube because I don't have any plans for tactical stuff anymore. I couldn't justify the higher cost of the more popular 7 3/4" slide tube. I want to keep my 500 more traditional than tactical. If, for some reason, I ever decide to add a tactical forend, I'll just get the Hogue adapter nut. Chances are I'd just get the Hogue OverMold forend anyway.

mossbergtodd said:
It sees to come down to model numbers 50411 vs. 50521. The 50521 is less expensive has a Parkerized finish and a pinned (non-removable) forend. The 50411 is blued and has the removable forend. Which begs the question...Why? $$ I guess.

Cost is my best guess, too. My 500 is parkerized. The 18.5" barrel I got is not, so I've got a rather unique 500. :mrgreen: The only time I really seem to see pinned forends on 500s is with the combos.

mossbergtodd said:
Looks like I ordered the wrong one if I want to switch out the forend. However I guess you can change out the rail so you can switch out the forend... and I thought the mossy was a "simple gun to own and operate"

If you want to keep costs down, you could get the 6 3/4" forend and the Hogue adapter nut. The only real issue you may have with the adapter nut is you 'may' have to do a tiny bit of Dremel work on whatever forend you may get to help it seat better on the nut. Here's a good video that shows the pinned forend, a Hogue OverMold forend, and a 6 3/4" slide tube with the Hogue adapter nut.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kLb9vFnfL0[/youtube]

Awesome response. Thanks JayC. That video helped a lot! So. If i understand correctly, the length of the tube does not matter. I can get the cheaper gun with the pinned forend (which I like because it's parkerized not blued) then I can find a 7 3/4 action slide tube, or use a 6 3/4 and the Houge adaptor, and install a tactical forend of my choosing (understanding I may need to employ a little dremeling...).

Now its just about the $$$. Base "pinned" model is $289 new 7 3/4 action tube with nut is about $80. So $369. The next model up has the 7 3/4 "non pinned" action tube but it is blued. That's $359 but it's not parkerized.

Now, here's where it gets interesting... I have that old 1980's 500a. It has a 7 3/4 action tube with the wood furniture that is pretty beat up. Can I get the new base model and switch out the action tubes using the "new pinned" one on the old gun and the "old / non pinned" one on the new gun!!??!! I can then use a Magpul SGA stock on the new gun and the factory stock on the old gun which gives me two guns both with new "furniture". ***Yeah, I'd go ahead and read that a couple more times too.**** :?

The real questions is, is the rail portion the same throughout the ages and all models...

Wow, that's a little complicated, but what the hell else I'm I gonna do with my time? Work? Talk to my wife and kids?? Na...

Thanks for taking the time on this.

tr

Yes you can use a pinned forend on your older 500 and yes you can use your older action tube and forend on your newer 500. :D

Great!!! Found this also. But it does not exactly say.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1590 ... be-changes

Now, I'll go one step further. Your batting 1000 so far!!

My "old" gun has this weird "spring" on the mag tube that does not let the action tube come out of the receiver with out removing the mag tube. One of the other guys on this site, helped me figure that out (after much ringing of hands, gnashing of teeth and pictures posted). Have you heard of the "spring" type before and can I just remove the spring and slide the action slide tube over the mag tube and assemble as usual?

Some one told be I could and that the spring design was an attempt to deal with the "rattle" they are known for. It just seems a little odd removing a part of a firearm and it not having any effect... i only want the Boom to come out one end!! :eek:

Back