• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Pump Action Forends

Re: Is Mossberg the only manufacturer to make a pinned foren

HEY OLD MOSSY.

Your the one that helped me with the spring thing. Now I've learned just enough to be dangerous!! I'm trying to be slick and get 2 guns for the price of one. That's the american way right!?!

mossbergtodd said:
Great!!! Found this also. But it does not exactly say.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1590 ... be-changes

Now, I'll go one step further. Your batting 1000 so far!!

My "old" gun has this weird "spring" on the mag tube that does not let the action tube come out of the receiver with out removing the mag tube. One of the other guys on this site, helped me figure that out (after much ringing of hands, gnashing of teeth and pictures posted). Have you heard of the "spring" type before and can I just remove the spring and slide the action slide tube over the mag tube and assemble as usual?

Some one told be I could and that the spring design was an attempt to deal with the "rattle" they are known for. It just seems a little odd removing a part of a firearm and it not having any effect... i only want the Boom to come out one end!! :eek:

Your old gun is probably a 600,same as the 500 but the mag tube.

You can use the old mag tube,but will have to remove it to install action tube and forend.

The only other thing I can think of that might be different is if your older gun has a single or duel bar action tube.

mossbergtodd said:
HEY OLD MOSSY.

Your the one that helped me with the spring thing. Now I've learned just enough to be dangerous!! I'm trying to be slick and get 2 guns for the price of one. That's the american way right!?!

Glad you learned about your gun. :)

As far as getting 2 guns for the price of 1, why not. ;)

Got my new forend today

Well, my new forend finally arrived today. I got the 6 3/4" slide tube, Mossberg 6 3/4" synthetic forend, and the nut for the tube. I want to keep it looking traditional instead of tactical. I should have known I can't do something as simple as putting a forend on a slide tube without making myself bleed. :oops: :mrgreen: As soon as I took the forend out of its bag I saw two plastic pieces wedged inside. There was a rectangular one at the back, and a round one at the front where the slide tube nut would go. The front one is what gave me the issue. I told myself to get a hammer and tap it out. Instead I kept pushing on it with my thumb. When it let go, wowee did it hurt! I took a nice little chunk out of the tip of my left thumb. It bled like a stuck pig. :mrgreen:

Anywho, when I did get the forend on, it was sure a tight fit on the tube. I guess I didn't think of it beforehand, but the tube forend is a bit wider than the pinned forend. It feels a lot better in my hand since it isn't so narrow. Since my 500 is my first shotgun, I don't have a lot of experience with different makes/models. I wasn't sure what to really expect with a tube forend vs. the pinned one. It feels like just how I hoped it would. The tube forend feels solid. It feels like it's actually connected to the gun instead of just hanging there. The action also feels smoother, too. I wish I got a new forend sooner!

I know it's nothing too special compared to the other awesome 500's here, but I thought I'd post a photo anyway. The tube forend is probably the best upgrade you can make for the 500 if you have a pinned forend.

Re: Anyone looking for a wood stock and corncob forend?

aksavanaman said:
Just in case Shotten or nitesite missed it in the other thread....Thanks again!

AK~~

Please check your PMs and I ask you to contact me about how you got "that look" on this stock set.

It is so much better looking than the bland/blonde stuff we normally see from 80's and 90's vintage wood 500 stock pull-offs.

nitesite said:
aksavanaman said:
Just in case Shotten or nitesite missed it in the other thread....Thanks again!

AK~~

Please check your PMs and I ask you to contact me about how you got "that look" on this stock set.

It is so much better looking than the bland/blonde stuff we normally see from 80's and 90's vintage wood 500 stock pull-offs.

Yeah that stock set is beautiful. If you ever do a writeup on how you did it I would love to know. I may need to refinish my stockset.

4hPhKHD.jpg

Check your PM's.

Shameless self promotion of mine. :) Ron

Attachments

• sh1.jpg
    sh1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 155
  • sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 150
  • sh3.jpg
    sh3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 150

I didn't think my handy work would be so appreciated. I think where I deviate from the norm is that I don't like the "perfect" look on a fighting shotgun (or usable hunting firearm for that matter).

As memory serves me (and shotten's came to me pretty well sanded) I sanded the stock down to a 220 grit. Then used a torch to add a bit of scorching to the wood and darken some areas (as you can see in the imperfections), and where the uniqueness of the color comes from I believe. Then I used a light coat of a pre-stain and followed the directions.

For the color I used Minwax Red Mahogany (225). Now since both stocks were birch, they don't absorb stain as evenly as some other wood does, but in order to minimize streaking I used a clean cotton cloth and wiped on the finish quite heavy, let it sit for about 3 minutes (not enough to start settting or drying) and wiped off the excess. Then I let it dry for 12-24hrs (depending on conditions) before I added another coat. In all I believe the set has 3 coats of stain.

For the finish I just used Berchwood Casey Tru-Oil, probably another three coats of that, with a good steel wool buffing in between coats. I didn't want any bit of glossyness to show, so I made sure to buff it well and keep the grain as natural as possible. Tru-Oil makes it easy to touch up and maintain.

I finished off my M1 Garand walnut stock with some treatments of Tung Oil... and it turned out fantastic. Of course I've been hand rubbing pure linseed oil (not boiled ) into it for quite some time, so it's become much darker from the pictures you remember. I may use the Tung Oil on the 590 stock set as well, since after a 7 hour outing up a snowy mountain, using it as a walking stick ... the Tru Oil rubbed off a bit.

Your skills are both noted and appreciated, AK!!!!!!!!!!

Always a pleasure! Glad I could help ;)

^^^^^Nice ;)

Riaju said:
Im new to the mossberg. Has anyone else had a problem installing the blackhawk specops nrs forend?

Welcome to the forum. I had issues with the cutout not accommodating the lock nut. I had to dremmel some material away to get it to fit. It failed shortly thereafter because I cut away to much.

Im having problems with the locknut fitting as well. I bought the forend with the stock and am not really happy with either.the stock covers the trigger housing so I cant break the gun down without removing the stock, and now forend issues.

Back