• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg SA-20 Turkey Thug shotgun

karteria

Copper BB
Why is this shotgun unavailable for sale anywhere, both retail stores and online? Are there any known problems with its production. It's shown in Mossberg's current product line. I've also asked Mossberg but no answer yet. Any info would be of help. Thank you.

Welcome aboard!

Looks like this is just another in the long list of hard to find firearms these days. Mossberg has been strained to keep up with production on all their shotgun models. Hang in there and keep at it. Stop in and have your local stores check with their distributors every couple weeks. One is bound to show up available eventually...

I lucked out and picked up a like-new, "easy load" SA-20 Turkey Thug from a local private seller in May? Still under warranty! Has the rib-mounted, "fiber-optic", "ghost-ring" rear sight and matching front. $355 and it was mine... :D

I then spent another $15 inc. S/H for a "skeet" (one step down from cylinder) choke tube. I bought the tube to swap out for the uber-tight Turkey choke so I wouldn't tear it up with steel shot AND so I could shoot slugs with it. This gun takes Benelli choke tubes, BTW.

I should also note that the installed scope rail is "scooped" out down its length, allowing for the sights to be easily viewed over it.

I'm planning on getting a +3 tube from Choate soon (8rds total) and have an Email into Joe at Maverick to see if he can get me a tactical pistol grip stock and black foreend. I'll update with results when I do.

I did install a Mossy Oak sling and 5-round sleeve on the buttstock.

Took it to the target/plinking range a few weeks ago with my 12yo daughter. Between us, we shot about 50rds of various "old" #4, #5 and #7 birdshot including some 40?yo Montgomery Ward paper husk rounds with absolutely NO failures to feed or eject AT ALL! :mrgreen: My daughter couldn't get enough and was not bruised in the shoulder at all! :)

In related daughter news, she was finally able to grip the G26 tight enough to successfully shoot a full mag without any stovepipes due to "limp-wristing"! :D She was quite proud (and so was I)! :D

Attachments

• miashootg26.jpg
    miashootg26.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 233
My theory is that people have finally realized short barreled turkey guns are essentially the same as the tactical models that retail for more because the word "tactical" is added to the description.

Bobster said:
I'm planning on getting a +3 tube from Choate soon (8rds total) and have an Email into Joe at Maverick to see if he can get me a tactical pistol grip stock and black foreend. I'll update with results when I do.

UPDATE: Got a reply back from Joe Z. My message is first, then his reply:

"Joe:
I got your Email from Mossberg Owner’s Group. I’m looking for a pistol grip stock and foreend to convert my SA-20 Turkey Thug to tactical when I’m not hunting with it. Do you know where I could get those items? Thanks, Bob
"

"Good afternoon,

I apologize. I do not. we do not have those as accessories at the moment.
"

The mag tubes, +2 and +3, are readily available from Choate for around $48 +3 link follows http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/02-04-43 I'm not sure what the shipping charge is...

Choate didn't have a listing for a stock so I'll guess they don't make it yet.

The only time 922r compliance becomes an issue is when removing American made parts and replacing them with imported parts. Adding a Choate mag tube which is made in the USA is not an issue...

I took my Turkey Thug into my local gunsmith to have him fix the lifter issue . He said I shouldn't have had to grind off the lip to get the extended mag to function .....?

Said I could have just "forced" the guts out past the lip ?? Maybe he was thinking the shells would "force" their way past the lip too ???

Back