• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 715T- New owners area...

EYEMAN

Copper BB
New Toy

Got the tactical 22 a few days ago and I'm impressed. Glad I added to the family of weapons. I carried it to the range today to zero it in. I ran about 150 rounds through it with no issues and I did it without a prior cleaning of the factory lube. It's a great little rifle.
th_MossTact3001.jpg

Re: New Toy

Congratulations on your new Mossberg Tactical .22 autoloader! Its great to hear you had a good first day out with it. What other firearms do you have?

Great to hear you're enjoying your new plinker!

... and welcome to Mossberg Owners.

Thanks for the greeting and welcoming me to the forum. As to the other weapons I have , I am blessed with the following:
Mossberg 500 tactical 12ga.
Remington 870 Express 12ga.
Mossberg 500 stock 20ga.
Kimber Classic Stainless .45
Kimber Ultra Stainless .45
Ruger SR9C 9mm
Walther stainless ppk 380
Walther pk380(my wife's with a cute pink holster)
S&W Mod. 66 stainless 357 (2")
S&W Mod. 36 Chief Special 38
Secret Service Special 38 Smith & Wesson
RG derringer 22 cal.
Hi Point Tactical Carbine .45 ACP
Marlin M1 carbine 22 cal.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum EYEMAN !!

Looks like you'll fit in here, with all those firearms... ;)

^ Agreed.

We need pics! Be sure to visit the "Other Weapons" sub-forums and post up some pics. We've got threads by brand that should cover all of your gear. Can't wait to see them...

That new gun smell... :)

Just picked up this TAC-22 today. Traded a Taurus PT-22 + $100 for it. I had $150 into the Taurus so I essentially paid $250 for it from a private party. He even drove about 45 minutes (he offered) each way to make the deal. Gods Bless Him! :p

UPDATE: forgot to mention seller was a retired Air Force First Sergeant and had bought the rifle for his grandson but apparently the grandson was acting badly so he never gave it to him. I thanked him for his 30+ years of service to this country, BTW. :)

The PT-22 is similar to the Beretta 21a with the tilt-up barrel for easy 1st shot loading. But the Taurus is DAO and my 8-year old had trouble squeezing the trigger and a trade deal came along so I sold it. Not a very accurate gun, either. :cry:

I was looking for a .22 rifle with adjustable stock for my son and I was torn between the Moss, S&W and the Sig 522. It was karma that the Mossberg came around. It was meant to be... ;) (and half the price!)

I haven't been to the range so I'll update once I do and maybe post some pics of the take-down. I can tell you that the entire gun except for the action is plastic. Sights, pic rails, etc.--alleemer polymer. The stock is an ATI and I think I am going to get one of those cheek comb extensions from them. This will help raise my son's eyes up to the level of the sights.

Go to: http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... 22-rifles/ for more info.

Attachments

• tac22a.jpg
    tac22a.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 4,885
  • tac22b.jpg
    tac22b.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 4,886
  • pt22a.jpg
    pt22a.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4,885
Re: That new gun smell... :)

Congrats on the mossy! I was checking out the same 22 at my GS a while back. However i settled on a winchester 275 pump action 22 magnum. I love that little thing! I look forward to the full report.

cheers.

Yea, Congrats on the TAC-22

Also looking forward to the range report !

UPDATE: TAC-22 new gun smell... :)

I've been meaning to update this post with shooting impression and take-down pics. Note that I just sold this gun #37204 (adj. stock, 25rd mag) for $250 including an ATI cheek rest that costs $15 direct from ATI. We only got around to putting about 50 rounds through it before the lovebugs completely swarmed us at the range. So I lost $15 BUT I have a new #37209 (flat-top, flash hider, adj. stock, 25rd mag) on its way to my FFL (Buds: $261). So I guess I'm a glutton for punishment? ;) Read on...

As mentioned previously, this gun is "plastic" except for the receiver and barrel which are "borrowed" from the 712 Plinker. As shown in the pics below, the receiver is mounted in two clamshell halves separated with about a dozen screws. There would appear to be NO pieces common to the AR-15 style rifles. I took the gun apart before shooting it to clean and lube it and to also clean the "sharp" edges from the casting halves. The edges weren't that bad but about 5 minutes with a small file and deburring tool made a world of difference. I also cleaned/filed smooth some flashing from the mag release and added some grease to get it to work better.

The owner's manual is not yet available at Mossberg so PM me if you want a copy in .pdf as the file is too large to post here.

At the range, the TAC-22 functioned OK except for a few .22 long? or low-vel. rounds that got mixed in the hi-vel. long-rifle rounds we were using. The malfunction would be in the way of a stovepipe and was easily cleared. Grouping was good. The trigger was very gritty and stiff, I'm guessing 8lbs or so, and once the rifle was "broken-in" I planned on doing some trigger love to it...

Initially accuracy with this rifle was poor, with shots about 6" low on a sighting target 25' away. In order to get the groups close to the spot, I had to adjust the rear sight all the way up. And this required removal of the scope rail in the handle which is otherwise "see-though". The front sight is NOT adjustable and is molded into one of the foreend halves. I painted it yellow to increase visibility. Also note that the rear sight is not replacable and is "built-in" to the case. If I had kept the gun, I would have gotten some hi-vel ammo and brought a file to the range to file down the front sight. The new owner planned on putting a scope on it so this didn't bother him.

For the money, it is what it is and that is why I bought another--it is a good plinking value. I'm hoping the sights on the flat-top are removable/replaceable as I couldn't find any information on them... I'll update with pics when I get it.

Attachments

• tado3.jpg
    tado3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 4,780
  • tado2.jpg
    tado2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 4,778
  • tado1.jpg
    tado1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 4,778

Thanks for the post Bobster!

I've never seen one of these taken down before...

New Gun Smell-pt.2: 37209 TAC-22 Flat Top!

New Gun Smell-pt.2: 37209 TAC-22 Flat Top!

Picked up the new TAC-22 from my FFL today. Ordered on Friday, received on Wedsnesday--awesome service from Bud's! Cost me $261 (shipped free) + $3 insurance + $20 to my FFL for a total of $284 in my hands. Link to the gun at Bud's (still in stock as of this post) follows: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/76659

This post is my initial evaluation of the 37209 and it is very similar to 37204 I just sold and reviewed at the following link: http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=2103 Take-down is similar between the two rifles and the owner's manuals are the same.

As mentioned and shown in the other post, the 37204 is a plastic "clamshell" mounted around a Plinkster receiver and barrel. Its fore-end is "full length". The carry handle is molded in and the sights are plastic and non-removable. It has an ATI adjustable stock and 25-rd magazine. Similar models come with a combo of 10-rd mag and/or non-adjustable stock depending on customer preference or jurisdiction.

The 37209 does away with the molded carry handle and plastic sights and has a full-length accessory rail along the top of the case, not to mention the quad rails on the carbine-length fore-end (smaller than the 37204). The top and bottom rails are seamed due to the molded case halves.

The case moldings seemed cleaner than the 37204 and I don't think I'll worry about de-burring them until after the 37209 is broken in. Like the 37204, it will need a little bit of trigger smoothing and the mag release "worked" and greased. The 37209 does away with the imitation "forward assist" but retains the molded "charging handle". :roll:

(to be continued...)

Attachments

• 37209c.jpg
    37209c.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 7,368
  • 37209b.jpg
    37209b.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 7,367
  • 37209a.jpg
    37209a.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 7,366
37209 TAC-22 Flat Top (continued)

37209 TAC-22 Flat Top (continued)

The 37209 comes with removable front and rear anodized aluminum "battle" sights. :D These are a 1000% improvement over the sights on the 37204. The rear is all metal and adjustable for height and windage with detents. The front is all metal as well and adjustable for height with detents. I would venture a guess these could be installed on a "regular" AR rifle. This will be a good rifle for my kids to learn how to use "iron" sights with as our other .22s rifles are scoped.

The 37209 also comes with a removable metal flash-hider/compensator or whatever you want to call it. It appears to be threaded on and has flats for removal with a wrench. Another nice touch on this improvement (IMHO) over the 37204... :)

I'll update on accuracy and function once I get to the range with it...

Attachments

• comp.jpg
    comp.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 7,361
  • sights2.jpg
    sights2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 7,362
  • sights1.jpg
    sights1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 7,361
Re: New Gun Smell-pt.2: 37209 TAC-22 Flat Top!

SWEET!

Great lookin rifle. Looking forward to the range report...

That rifle is most definitely a HUGE improvement over the 37204. Much cleaner look, and it looks beautiful without the stupid molded carry handle and cheap plastic sights. Maybe this will make people take these plinksters a little more seriously. Wondering if they will sell this shell on its own for those of us that want to convert our 37204 to this much cleaner looking shell.

drifter2be said:
That rifle is most definitely a HUGE improvement over the 37204. Much cleaner look, and it looks beautiful without the stupid molded carry handle and cheap plastic sights. Maybe this will make people take these plinksters a little more seriously. Wondering if they will sell this shell on its own for those of us that want to convert our 37204 to this much cleaner looking shell.

I'd buy the new 'shell' immediately if offered. It looks like what I've been hacking 37204 into all along.

That looks SO MUCH BETTER than the original. I MUST have the updated piece.

So... anyone make the call into Mossberg yet!?!?!?!?

I e-mailed Mossberg about the new design... Let's see if anyone else can make better sense of this response than I can:

JJC said:
Hello,

I currently own a Mossberg Tactical .22 (37204) and love the rifle. Great little plinker.

My only wish is for a flattop rail instead of a carry handle for more optic/accessory options. I see Mossberg is now offering a variant of the Tacital 22, Catalog # 37209, that incorporates a flattop rail and removable sights, as well as a shorter quad rail and barrel.

Will I be able to order the replacement stock body with flattop for my current rifle? I would only need the center section, not the stock tube or quad rail.

I suspect other owners may be interested in doing the same based on this forum thread...

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=2598

Please let me know what options will be available and how to obtain them. With your consent, I will forward the information to the thread linked above.

Thanks,
Jared ********
Mossberg 'Tactical 22' Owner.

The response:

Santa Hernandez said:
Thank you for your e-mail. Sir right now we only offer this designs in our website , We don’t customized our models maybe in the future we will have them available but not for now.

Uhhh, Whuuut?

I not sure that the representative, Mr. Hernandez, even understood what was being asked due to his weak grasp of the English language. C'mon Mossberg! This is seriously your customer service!? Was I unclear in my message?

I find this extremely frustrating. I would call Mossberg, but fear I would reach Santa on the other end and get lost in translation yet again.
Rant: OFF :evil:

Mods, do we have a contact I can reach directly to get an actual answer to my question. (and maybe inform management of my CS experience)

I don't know that any of us have a direct contact up there at this point, but it's definitely something we're working toward.

In my personal experience in a corporate setting, nine out of ten CS reps are recent high-school grads that are paid to answer calls and document issues, but have little to no personal experience with the products other than access to the company's website or catalog. New hires are given a rolodex type guide full of customer scenarios with suggested responses or action. Employee turn-over is VERY high due to low pay and high stress so a lot of them quit before they learn much. It's always best to get in touch with a supervisor or someone who's been there a while and has had more experience.

I know this doesn't make you feel any better about the situation, but it's a reality in big companies these days.

Back