• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Give the gun time to break in, start slow.

First box or so of ammo run the mag half full (5 rounds) then the next box put a few more in it. Dont just stuff the mag full the first outing because the mag plays a key roll in its feeding. If you slowly work it in you will have better luck with it.

When you stuff the mag full that spring is GRINDING those first few rounds into the mag lips and eventually you will have feed issues. If you start slow your kinda polishing the mag lips round at a time with less pressure.

Any burs on the mag lips will dig into the soft brass of the round and cause it to hang, kickup and then jam.

just my opinion.

I bought a new 715T the third week of February and luckily found two 25-round magazines. After reading this web site last week I decided to fully load both the hi cap mags, which was tricky to say the least. But both loaded to the max.

I have been letting both mags sit fully loaded and it might be a while before I have the chance to get to the range to shoot for the first time. Do you think letting the mags sit loaded will mitigate any newbie issues with this gun?

Only thing ive had happen is when you stuff them so full the spring softens a little and that causes the last few rounds to have issues because the spring tension is soft and cant push them up all the way.

I just put 15 in mine i think i may have pushed 20 in it but never the max.

YOu know its just a selling point saying it holds 25 rounds. That doesnt mean you have to cram a full 25 in it.

You can if you want its your gun. I dont see the need though, i myself would rather have a reliable gun.

speedyquad said:
when i sent mine back in late september, early october, they had it for a week...when it went back around thanksgiving...it took them 2 weeks...

can i ask why you would make dunhams pay for shipping the gun back? it was mossbergs defective gun, not dunhams.

Just called mossberg and they said delay was due to not having any ammo for test fire. They just got some bulk ammo in so i'm hopeful.

Well, the guy at the counter told me to bring it back to them if i had any issues (first 30 days)when i made the purchase. Customer service policy i guess.

They put a sticker on mine that says all sales final. I guess they dont want you to buy it, go shoot up some place, hold up a bank then return it? ahh man!

I am new in this forum and a proud new owner of a flat top 715T with red dot optics. I just cleaned it and will be bring it at the gun range for zeroing the iron sights and red dot optic then some plinking fun. I noticed that there is noticeable gap between the magazine and the magazine well. The gap in the back side (4mm or 1/8") is bigger than the front. Thus the magazine doesnt fit snugly yet it doesnt fall off. Also, its a bit hard to remove the magazine even with 2 hands (the bolt locked open). Has anyone experienced this problem with their 715T? Do you think I got a faulty magazine? Is there anything I can do to fix this besides returning the product to mossberg? Please advise. Thanks

The gap in the mag is normal. Some guys use tape to fill the gaps. I used a little around the base of the internal part of the mag to help eliminate the wiggle. My magazine was tough to release at first but after a few uses it was getting easier. Now it falls out on its own with little pressure.

Hi I don't if I'm posting this in the correct place. But I had bought a 715T about a week ago and well the 25rd mag is starting to split and the mag release on it broke off I bought it from a local gun shop. Does anyone know where I may find a mag release replacement with out having to call Mossberg?

The short answer is "no". Unfortunately there are not aftermarket replacement stock parts (OEM or custom) for these. If the rifle needs repair it will need to go to the Eagle Pass facility. You'll spend around $25 to UPS it to them but if it is under warranty it is well worth it to get it done right as opposed to a "good enough" fix or local gunsmith expense (in my opinion). I have been in contact with the manufacturer's plant in Brazil and they cannot deal with the public and refer you back to Mossberg. Most shops will look at it and if it is more than a quick adjustment will tell you to send it in too. You can call Mossberg about the magazine and probably will be put on back order for one (they have none in stock). I can't say if they'll "give" it to you or "sell" it to you. If you send it in for warranty work expect it to be gone for a couple of months or longer. I have one that was sent there mid/end-Jan and it is still in the queue to be looked at (as of two weeks ago when I last checked on it). And, they say they are behind because they are waiting on ammo to test fire rifles before returning them.

seanfnred said:
The gap in the mag is normal. Some guys use tape to fill the gaps. I used a little around the base of the internal part of the mag to help eliminate the wiggle. My magazine was tough to release at first but after a few uses it was getting easier. Now it falls out on its own with little pressure.

Thanks for the input seanfnred. I guess The gun just needs some "break in" time. :)

I have had my 715 bought it day after christmas. I have run about 500 rounds through it when it gets down to about 7 rounds left in the mag 4 of the last 7 jam with the last round having the lead almost knocked off of it. I emailed mossberg to see if I could get another 25 round mag to see if that was the problem and still havent got a reply yet. you cant find the 25 round mag for a reasonable price since they tried to push the gun bill through. i really need to fix this before I pawn it off and get a Ruger 10/22. Please help!!
P.S. i only use CCI Tactical Rounds but have also tried Federal Rounds and still have the same problem.

715t charge handle

Hi I am new to these rifles. I cleaned mine for the first time, and after doing so the charge handle is loose and won't lock open. Any info on this would be great!

Re: 715t charge handle

broncos7 said:
Hi I am new to these rifles. I cleaned mine for the first time, and after doing so the charge handle is loose and won't lock open. Any info on this would be great!

It wont lock open after the last round or it wont lock open when you pull it back?

BowerR64 said:
broncos7 said:

It wont lock open after the last round or it wont lock open when you pull it back?

When I pull it back. I know its a newbie thing, but I think I did something wrong when taking it down. Have never fired it also. If I remember it functioned normally before I took it down for the first clean. Also it is a new rifle. Thanks

broncos7 said:
BowerR64 said:
broncos7 said:

When I pull it back. I know its a newbie thing, but I think I did something wrong when taking it down. Have never fired it also. If I remember it functioned normally before I took it down for the first clean. Also it is a new rifle. Thanks

When you pull it back, try pushing the charge handle in a little. It should lock back.

DarrenB said:
When you pull it back, try pushing the charge handle in a little. It should lock back.

Yes...but is it possible to bend the charge handle? As I was removing the pins to remove the trigger assembly, I thought I was following a youtube video on how to disasemble it and was removing the pins, had a towel under the housing, but had the charge handle facing down. Im thinkin I made a costly rookie mistake

broncos7 said:
DarrenB said:

Yes...but is it possible to bend the charge handle? As I was removing the pins to remove the trigger assembly, I thought I was following a youtube video on how to disasemble it and was removing the pins, had a towel under the housing, but had the charge handle facing down. Im thinkin I made a costly rookie mistake

The charge handle catches on the plate screwed to the top of the trigger assembly. Ill take mine apart and get some pictures you can compare to yours see if maybe yours is different. I need to clean it anyway :lol:

When you take the trigger assembly out the bolt should stay inside the frame. Looking at the lower trigger housing (plastic) there is a metal plate screwed to the top with one little phillips screw.

This plate (not sure the name) the bolt guide plate? what ever it is the bolt rides along this plate. The tall tab on that plate is where the charge handle catches on. If that tab is bent outward you may not get the charge handle to catch it. If its bent to far in the charge handle will catch on it to easy. It needs to be square with the side of the bolt.

I also pointed out a few other parts so you can kinda learn some more of the inner workings of the action.

Mossberg715TActionlock_zps31d80269.jpg

I never really looked but the firing pin is actually on the bottom of the bolt. Usually it is on the top, the slot in the feed ramp allows the firing pin to go threw the feed ramp. Thats different.

Mossberg715Tboltandparts_zpse2066f24.jpg

Back