• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossy 590 stainless question

gunny,i'm curious, what does the innards look like,inside the receiver,barrel,mag tube ?

First thing I did when I got it home was strip it down and clean it up. Hadn't been cleaned in a while. I couldn't see any significant wear, and no damage or discoloration (except for the minor stuff I mentioned earlier). No problems with feed, extraction, etc. Action is smooth and easy, but not loose. I don't know how much it had been fired, but from the looks of it, not much.

GunnyGene said:
First thing I did when I got it home was strip it down and clean it up. Hadn't been cleaned in a while. I couldn't see any significant wear, and no damage or discoloration (except for the minor stuff I mentioned earlier). No problems with feed, extraction, etc. Action is smooth and easy, but not loose. I don't know how much it had been fired, but from the looks of it, not much.

nice. how about the finish inside of the gun,same as the outside finish?

old mossy said:
GunnyGene said:

nice. how about the finish inside of the gun,same as the outside finish?
Yep. The inside of the tubes looks just like the outside. Shiny stainless.

Tim4k5 said:
Just did a quick google search and found one of these currently for sale on another forum. Looks like the same model gun, pretty similar condition. He's asking $850.......so yeah, you did good at $325.
http://gulfcoastgunforum.com/showth...ariner-STAINLESS-not-marine-coat-Garcon-Point

His has the speedfeed stock and stainless receiver (question that - I don't think they ever made a stainless receiver). I think the asking price is a little on the high side even so. But he might get it, given the current environment.

Update: Havlin replied:
590 marine cote made since 1988. Your serial number dates to 1989
First finishes were high polished and looked like stainless. By 1992, they had dulled it down to a satin finish, still silver, and today the finish is almost a dull matte gray - the users didn't want the glare off the high polish finish so Mossberg adjusted.

None made with stainless, but that first finish looks that way and confuses many

I'm a little dissapointed, but still happy with the gun.

GunnyGene said:
First finishes were high polished and looked like stainless. By 1992, they had dulled it down to a satin finish, still silver, and today the finish is almost a dull matte gray - the users didn't want the glare off the high polish finish so Mossberg adjusted.

None made with stainless, but that first finish looks that way and confuses many

yeah disappointed,,,,,,you better sell me that gun,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

old mossy said:
GunnyGene said:

yeah disappointed,,,,,,you better sell me that gun,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't think so. but you're welcome to attend my estate sale when I croak. About 2030 or thereabouts. ;)

I'm a little dissapointed, but still happy with the gun.[/quote]

yeah disappointed,,,,,,you better sell me that gun,,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Don't think so. but you're welcome to attend my estate sale when I croak. About 2030 or thereabouts. ;)[/quote]

just bustin chops gunny. ,,,,,,and you'll be around past that.

i don't care what it's made of,,,she's a beauty! :D

A little more info on the 590 stainless question. Been having a discussion via email for a couple days.

In case anyone tries to tell you that there was ever a stainless barrel, mag tube or receiver on the 590 mariner: There wasn't. Ever. The barrel and mag tubes were finished inside and out with polished MarineCote that looks like stainless according to Havlin. They never made a steel receiver - ever.
No steel receivers - they have one CNC machine setting for all of these - some 590 milspec guns have steel trigger groups and safeties, but not the receivers.

Back