• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mounting picatinny rails on forend

Jason P

.22LR
i was wondering if any one has ever mounted a picatinny rail on a factory 590 forend. i put the tri-rail on the magazine tube so i could mount a flash light but i want to mount a AFG or AFG 2 to the factory forend.

I'm guessing it could be done, but for the time and cost of supplies, i would just buy a new forend. They range from around 30-70 bucks.

^ Agreed,

In theory you could sculpt down and flatten the underside of your factory forend, then screw on a picatinny rail to attach the AFG. The problem is by thinning out the plastic you'll be weakening the structural integrity of the forend. It'll never be as strong as an aftermarket forend with a picatinny rail molded into the structure itself. Here's one example that can be had for around $50...

FAB Defense: Mossberg 500 Rail System

Do you know whether your forend is pinned or uses an action slide tube assembly?

its the 590 model 50663 i think it has a action slide tube but not sure. i like the mako forend but i just thought i would try mounting one my self. i dont have a job right now so i rly dont need to let go of the cash and the time is not a big deal. if i do screw the factory forend up ill just have to buy the mako or something similar.

Back