• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mounting Scope o n new Patriot - Will not align!!

Dave Farley

Copper BB
Hello,
Hoping someone might help. When I sent to mount my Vortex scope to the factory installed bases on my new patriot rifle, they were extremely off. It appears that the bases are different sizes, but I am not sure if this was by design. There is no way to to get the scope to sign in, as it is more then 10" off from being able to zero the scope. Am I missing something, I ordered the rings from Optics planet, they are both the same size, should the rings have been different, such that there is a back and front? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, Mossberg says the bases should be the same size!! and to send them a picture...

So......... after continuing to try and figure it out, I have solved the issue. Under the rear scope base was a dollop of glue that had dried. It appears that the manufacturer installed the base over top of this, which resulted in it being installed uneven, and impacting the level of the overall gun. I removed both bases, cleaned them, re-seated the screws, and was able to get the gun sighted in. I am very happy with how it show, not so happy that it took me several weeks to figure out why a "NEW" gun had such a issue.

Thanks for the update, Dave. Who put the scope base on? Mossberg? Nevermind, I see it in your first post: "factory installed"... :rolleyes:

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

Uggh good,catch. Bad bad work by factory, I see this sort of,thing regularly with factory mounted, dumb because many who buy know no,better, and the firearm gets blamed for not being accurate. Very short sited by these manufacturers.

..... mount my Vortex scope to the factory installed bases on my new patriot rifle...

I didn't know Mossberg offered a model with just mounts installed, or did yours come with a different scope on it?(I bought mine with iron sights)

On a general sidenote.......I also wondered if the models that are sold with a scope are already zero'd.

I didn't know Mossberg offered a model with just mounts installed, or did yours come with a different scope on it?(I bought mine with iron sights)

On a general sidenote.......I also wondered if the models that are sold with a scope are already zero'd.
Any zero, by factory would be for naught anyway. I would always pull scope and,the,mounts . then reapply PROPERLY not factorly....... Save aggravation and ammo, gain peace of,mind

Any zero, by factory would be for naught anyway. I would always pull scope and,the,mounts . then reapply PROPERLY not factorly....... Save aggravation and ammo, gain peace of,mind
I agree, just wondered if they slap the scope on it & box it up, or if the scope is packed separately in the box for the customer to mount.

My factory bore sighted .308 Patriot, with the cheap Bushnell optic, was good enough for me to ring steel on a 12" plate at 200 yards on my first outing, using Monarch Russian steel ammo. Windage was dead on. I did notice the scope seems to have slid forward in the mounts by a fraction of an inch. Might have to blue loctite the rings.

Sent from my Vivo XL4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, mine only had factory installed weaver bases. No sights, no scope.

Back