• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mounting tools

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I wanted to add this after having had the early issues I did with my scope.

I had never previously used a scoped rifle, and certainly had never mounted one.

My concern was making sure everything was right, receiver to the bases, bases to the rings, rings to the scope. Among my concerns were both under tightening and over tightening the rings to the scope and causing sight in issues from a loose scope or a warped tube. Improper torque on the rings was in truth my biggest concern.

My solution was to order a Warne preset torque driver T15 bit set to 25 inch pounds. My rings recommended a torque of 22 to 28 inch pounds.

My wife ordered it for me through amazon with a free trial of prime with free two day shipping for $16.

The ring to scope install was easy. When the driver clicked, I was done and I haven't given it a second thought.

image.jpg

For me, a novice and complete noob, this was a perfect solution.

that is cool, never seen those .......I always just guess . I have been wanting something

that is cool, never seen those .......I always just guess . I have been wanting something

I may have been over thinking it but I didn't feel confident enough to guess. Also, because I had issues with the first scope before discovering it was junk, I wasn't sure the problem did or didn't have anything to do with improper torque so I got this to eliminate that variable from the equation.

That was enough for me to justify getting it.

its on my mind every time , its smart because its one less question in a long list of questions

I always wondered about using a cordless drill, with the various chuck settings.

My Dewalt 18v has various settings that won't over-tighten screws and such, but I never knew how many ft lbs that each setting was.

I always wondered about using a cordless drill, with the various chuck settings.
That may be good for work like automotive, but I'd be a little nervous about using power on a firearm. You've got more control w/ your hands than you do if something goes wrong w/ an electric motor.

That is true.

But like I said, I have no idea what the various torque settings even are.

My Dewalt 18v has various settings that won't over-tighten screws and such, but I never knew how many ft lbs that each setting was.

NOOOOO !!!

Way too clumsy and not nearly accurate enough.

Much better to do it by hand.

I always tend to slightly undertighten things at first. Then I bore sight the gun. After a couple shots off the bench, I tighten them again.

My theory is that things need to jiggle hard before you lock them down for good.

You can only set them up so close, then they have to find their unstressed alignment.

Plus I invariably want to change the eye relief.

Wheeler Engineering FAT (Firearm Accurizing Torque) Torque Wrench Screwdriver (LINK)

It's useful for other things beside scope mounting.

If you want to go full boat, you can get the Wheeler Engineering Scope Mounting Combo Kit 1" and 30mm (LINK).

I upgraded the leveling set to this: (LINK)

And added a set of Torx head screws (I hate hex screws) (LINK)

Overkill? You bet! On the upside, I never have to worry about it again and I can help my friends. :)

Last edited:
That's pretty cool.

All I have is a piece of 1 inch cold rolled bar stock and it weighs a ton and it's tedious to use.

Back