• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MVP 308 precision?

munchie3409

Copper BB
Greetings,

I just joined the forum today because I'm considering a purchase of the MVP 308 Patrol. I am anal when it comes to precision, so I'm curious if any members have shot their 308 MVPs for groups?

I've owned quite a few different 308 rifles and my current 308 rifle is a Savage with Shilen Select Match barrel that will print low .3's...I don't expect the same from the MVP, but I would like to know if I'll be wasting my time getting an MVP.

I realize this is a Mossberg forum, but I figured this would be best place to ask since the 308 MVP has only been released the last few months.

I do like that the rifle uses a 1:10 twist as I will be using 168gr and 178gr Hornady Amax bullets.

I'm also a fan that the rifle is threaded, since I have a TBAC suppressor as well.

Please post pics of your groups...I'd like to see what I'm potentially getting myself into with this rifle.

You are definitely going to have trouble matching .3s but there is a lot of aftermarket parts in the works for the MVP. I think in time it will become a very proven platform. I know plenty of MVP owners who punch 1moa groups but I will let others chime in.

One MOA is fine...if I buy the MVP it would be a back up rifle only.

I saw that Mossberg may release a 300blackout version...which I'd get, since I already load for the 300BO.

I just don't see a lot of info on the forums that I belong to in regards to the MVP.

I am hoping to hear from MVP owners.

Well my 5.56 MVP throws 69 gr SMK's kicked by 23.5 gr of Varget into 3/4 moa groups religiously if I do my part.

Bear in mind the rifle is box stock so far and other guys shoot their 5.56 MVP's better than I do mine when they are having a good day.

I have had a 20" Predator .308 on request with my local gun shop for quite some time now and they are working hard on it. Demand for them is off the charts and competition among dealers for them is stiff.

FWIW switching the 5.56 barrel for one in .300 black is easy and has been going on with good results for long enough that it no longer even raises an eyebrow.

Back