• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 3rd Gen 930 SPX build

tcecil88

.30-06
Elite Member
After seeing all the build threads out there, I thought I would throw mine in the hat. I really enjoyed M24shooter's thread and relied on it heavily for the parts ideas. I picked the parts that I thought would serve me well and am still considering a few others. I give M24shooter the credit for my choosing the 930 SPX. I have always been a Mossberg guy and his review is what sealed the deal for me on the 930 SPX.
DSC00850-1.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

I installed the following parts;
DSC00862.jpg

1) LPA front and rear night sights. I have always been a fan of night sights. The rear sight is dimmer than the front and does not wash it out.
2) Choate charging handle. The 3rd gen handle is good, but you cannot miss the big paddle. I had one on an 11-87 SP and loved it.
3) S&J oversized saftey. I really like this saftey.
DSC00853.jpg

4) Mesa 6 rd side saddle. I went with the Mesa because I have seen the plastic saddles crack alot. I also like the smaller profile of the Mesa unit.
DSC00858.jpg

5) Nordic barrel clamp with 2 rail inserts.
DSC00852-1.jpg

6) Older Surefire 6P in a no-name offset mount. Cheap but seems solid. I will upgrade in the future, but for now this light setup works.
DSC00876.jpg

7) S&J No Jam follower. This is the one with the post on the rear of the follower. I get 7+1 capacity with it. (Federal Tru-Ball slugs and Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck)
8) Outdoor Connections Padded Super Sling. The weapon is heavy and as I plan to use it for deer hunting, this sling will work great.
All said and done I really like the upgrades. I installed everything myself with little effort and really enjoyed doing it. I am considering the Aimpro forend, a different mag extension, and some different sling mount options. I am also considering a +2 forearm shell carrier.

That is a great looking Mossberg 930SPX. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

I plan to get a 930 in the very near future and MO has been a great help in deciding what, if anything I would want to change! Your SPX looks sweet!!!

Biggest thing I expect to change is the magazine tube extension as one of the things we plan to do is get into some competition yet, so we want more ammo on board!

Thanks for all the compliments. I actually have not shot it yet. I work overseas and my time is limited when I get home. Between the Honey-do list, the kid's football & soccer, and archery deer season I never took the time to shoot it. I will be home again in January so I plan to shoot it then. I am hoping that I don't have the problems with mine that alot of the others have had.

Update:
I added the GG&G front and rear sling mounts, a UTG sling and the Aimpro forend.
I also replaced my old Surefire 6P with a new Streamlight TLR1s with a green filter.
All parts were easy to install and very good quality. :)

DSC00954.jpg

I have the Sidearmor forward shell carrier coming and will install it on the right side just in front of the ejection port as a quick 2 rounds to load into an empty weapon. I also plan to replace the magazine extension with either a Nordic or an S&J at a future date. At that point I will call the build complete. :D

**Update**
I got the SideArmor Forward shell holder today. It is a very well built component. Fit and finish are excellent. It is pricey though at $59.95 + shipping.
I plan to try some shotgun matches with it so having a couple quick reloads will be handy and I can put a couple of slugs there for HD and have them right by the ejection port for a quick reload. :D

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00972.jpg

Unfortunately, SideArmor was the only place I found it, so if you want one, you have to pay SideArmor's price or maybe get lucky and find it on Ebay.

Back