• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My 464 Is Here

sullivan

.270 WIN
It only took the cops a couple of weeks to post my Approval and I made haste to the gunshop, to take it home and give it a good clean. This consisted of pouring boiling water through the bore from the chamber, with the aid of a funnel and plastic tube. Drying out revealed that the chamber was rusty and a patch through the bore picked up some black stuff which I assumed to be burnt carbon.
The bore was scrubbed five times with carbon remover on a bronze brush and the following patch had quite a bit of black so the above was repeated, with a cleaner patch as the result. The bore was oiled with Ballistol. The next day found me at the range bright and early, for me anyway;) and lo and behold, the first shot hit paper at fifty yards:) What a relief. You can't bore sight without removing the bolt which voids warranty, so I read here somewhere and the first shot was a real gamble.
Speaking of gambling:cool: The combination of my eyes and the Mossy sights makes accuracy pretty haphazard, so the blade was removed from the backsight at home the previous day. That made the bead and target easier to see. The shot, while centred fairly well, was way high with the rear sight on its lowest setting. Holding lower in the U, a couple more shots went even highero_O but more disturbingly, the lever was sticking after firing, on the downstroke. That was not good and it was decided to perform a feeding test. With six in the magazine, jamming was experienced. Measuring with my calipers at home that afternoon revealed that the Hornady 160 gn gummy tips were well under the 2.550" maximum, so it was back to the shop the next morning for a warranty job.
Yesterday, four and a half working days later, a phone call informed me that my rifle was ready. Boy that was Quick:D The chamber was rough, so they said. That was polished and so was the bluing at the back of the bolt and lock bar. The magazine follower had been sticking and it was freed. A couple of test shots had been fired from the pack of Hornadys that were left with the rifle, for them to use.
The rifle had been delivered for repair cleaned and oiled but the two shots they fired left rather more black fouling than expected, which made me wonder if this is "dirty" ammo. No matter. It is back in my hands now:D and I am much happier.
I hope that my experience is of benefit to other owners.

Back