• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MY 500 setup

jcarpy75

Copper BB
I’ve had my Mossberg 500 for about a year now and finally got it set up the way I want it. I have read several posts from this forum that helped me make decisions on how I wanted to run my shotgun, so I thought I would share the details and some pictures with the group.
I’m just a normal guy. I’m not paid to indorse any products. I researched everything on the web, decided what was best for me and purchased all the items.

I bought the Mossberg for home defense and if needed, a patrol weapon. Mine has a 20” barrel with a 7+1 shell capacity. The shotgun came with a 3 rail forend as a bonus so I did not have to buy that. I really like my Mossberg 500 shotgun.

My wife will also be using the weapon and because I’m bigger, taller and have longer arms then her we needed an adjustable stock. While at an indoor firing range ATI had a booth set up with their product line. They showed me the perfect stock for us. The Mossberg AKITA Adjustable Stock in black. I ordered it from (atistocks.com) and paid $69.00 for it and got free shipping during the promo event. We both really like this stock and the recoil pad is awesome.

I wanted a sling in the event I’m forced to protect my land and perform patrol duties or in the woods camping, hunting or hiking. I was taught in the Army, a long time ago, you don’t put your weapon down or lean it against a tree while making camp or doing other work. If something or someone gets between you and your weapon, you are dead. I wanted a sling that would be comfortable and be able to hold at the ready, slung off my shoulder or across my back. I wanted the weapon to be snug against my body to perform any “hands on” tasks that may be required. I decided the Vickers 2pt. ACETAL sling by Blue Force Gear was the one for me. It is well made and I really like the ease of the pull tab to lengthen or shorten the sling as needed. I also bought the quick release kit to detach the sling from my body quickly if need be. The black sling was $45.00 and the quick release kit $12.00 at (blueforcegear.com).

With the ATI stock I could not attach the stock end of the sling with a Blue Force Gear butt stock adapter because the attachment for the sling is on the top of the adapter and would interfere with the cheek pad on the new ATI stock. I solved that issue with a Butt Stock Adapter/Mount 1.25” Black Heavy Duty Nylon Webbing for $18.75 from e-bay seller Practical Bargains. The adapter has a side mount attachment that does not interfere with the cheek pad on the stock.

The front of the sling attaches with standard 1 ½” swivels. I did not like mounting the sling on the stud at the end of the magazine tube on the Mossberg so I got an Advanced Technologs SMC 1100 magazine clamp for $11.21 along with a 1 ½ ” sling swivel for $10.66 a pair from e-bay seller ECOP. They work great.

The next item I wanted was a side saddle or shell card. After looking at hard plastic shell holders that attach to the weapon with hardware and shell cards that attach with Velcro I decided to go with the shell card. I like being able to remove an empty card and replace it with a full one in seconds. I bought 3 of the 5 round shell cards in black from S.O.E. for $15.00 each at (soetactical.com). I had to supply the fuzzy part of the industrial Velcro that I trimmed to fit and attached to the receiver. The shell card is well made and stays on the shotgun with no issues. I like that I can remove the shell card from the shotgun and put the weapon in a soft sided case without the extra bulk of a hard side saddle.

The last item I bought for the shotgun is a tac light. I know there is debate on rather or not it’s a good idea to have a light on the weapon but I figure if I have one I can decide to use it or not. After researching the options I decided on a CREE T6 LED 1,000 LM Tactical Flashlight with Pressure Switch and Mount. The light is small in size, puts out an amazing amount of light, attaches to the bottom rail of the shotgun and has a pressure switch for momentary on with the smallest amount of thumb pressure. I wanted to mount the switch for use with my left thumb while on the forend. My thumb rests right where the rail is located on that side of the weapon so I took the rail off, put a small piece of Velcro over where the rail mount attachment is, put the other part of Velcro on the back of the pressure switch and it is placed right where my thumb naturally rides on the forend. Here is the cool part. I went to e-bay to see how much this flashlight kit would cost and was really surprised because there are several sellers from China on there. The light is made in China and they buy in bulk from the manufacture and have very good prices. The light is packed in a plain white box. I was leery at first buying from a seller in China but after reading the feedback I decided to give it a try. For $20.99 and free shipping I got the package of the flashlight, pressure switch and mount. The flashlight takes a #18650 rechargeable battery that does not come with the unit. It took about 9 days to get here. The light, pressure switch and mount are well made and work great. I’m glad I took a chance on them. I got mine from e-bay seller “foryoulight”.

This set up works great for me on my Mossberg 500 shotgun. I would love to hear any ideas or comments you might have.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 313
It should do the job, I could never run a light there. I don't like anything with any weight to it on the forend and I would more than likely break that right off the plastic rail lol

really like that sling

Welcome to the forum from NY. Good lookin' shotty thanks for sharing. :D

It should do the job, I could never run a light there. I don't like anything with any weight to it on the forend and I would more than likely break that right off the plastic rail lol

really like that sling
oli700: Wanted to let you know you were correct about the flashlight located on the forend. I did not like it there so I got another barrel mount and moved it. This feels much better and I like that the light is closer to the barrel.

I enjoyed reading your post. And I agree about having a light and deciding whether to use it or not. That is the same logic that I use. I mom used to have a saying "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Hows the Akita stock working out? I've been kind of looking at it as a replacement for the SpecOps on my 835 as I'm not really that fond of the PG style as I feel it makes the gun a bit less of a multitasker.

Hows the Akita stock working out? I've been kind of looking at it as a replacement for the SpecOps on my 835 as I'm not really that fond of the PG style as I feel it makes the gun a bit less of a multitasker.
I really like the Akita Stock. It works great for my wife and me very easy to adjust and the recoil pad is awesome.

Back