• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My finished 590a1 build, and 1st time shooting impressions

Glenn

I have building a Mossberg 590a1 18.5" with ghost ring sights for close to a month now. This is the first shotgun I have ever owned, and honestly the first time firing a shotgun. I own a Glock 19 gen 4 and have put range time in with it.

I live out on a plot of land that is perfect for shooting with big dirt mounds to set targets. I got the final components of my build in today (Well final one is the shotgun sheath coming tomorrow.) The actual gun is done (for now haha.) I kept everything stock except for:
Inforce WMLx gen 2 800 lumens light.
Esstac 7 shell magazine card.
Choate 4.25 extension. (I did not use the receiver, but I did use the springs from Choate.)

So my impressions. I now see why this forum was made. That was the most fun I had shooting a gun! I put A gallon jug of water and I had some cardboard targets I made. I was using some 00 buck to get practice for home defense. My first shot hit the gallon jug of water from 15 ft away and it just exploded. I really like the ghost ring sights. I felt like I could acquire the target very fast in transition. I was hitting everything, even further back, dead on. My friend who was a US Ranger and worked in a jail for some time told me over the phone how to form the pocket when shooting and correct posture.

I really want to thank another forum member who talked me through this entire build. 95jza80tt, Thank you so much for taking the time to answer every question I had, and helping me through every step of this build. I appreciate it! Okay time for some pics.
The last picture was me helping my friend shoot her 9mm for the first time. I had to get used to the trigger pull but when I did I was hitting center.
Thank you everyone in the forum for the advice and help. This is a great community!
kVU3N2a.jpg

YGXadEk.jpg

osmhKfD.jpg

I'm always open to answer any questions I can or weight in with my opinion if you want it, but know there are many on here with far more experience then me. There is a good amount of ppl on here that are real assets to this community. I just appreciate that I could be of help.

You have accessorized your shotgun nicely. There is no need to go crazy with doo-dads.

KISS is your friend.

If I was using your gun I would probably push the extra shells up in the loops a half inch or so. But rock yours like you wish. There is no wrong way.

My GRS Mossberg pump is among my best shooting and reliable guns that I take to work. Utterly solid, and the sights are super for putting slugs on target.

You have accessorized your shotgun nicely. There is no need to go crazy with doo-dads.

KISS is your friend.

If I was using your gun I would probably push the extra shells up in the loops a half inch or so. But rock yours like you wish. There is no wrong way.

My GRS Mossberg pump is among my best shooting and reliable guns that I take to work. Utterly solid, and the sights are super for putting slugs on target.
Thanks I appreciate it, I really didn't know the best way to put the shells in the card. I thought maybe upside down brass on bottom might make sense so I could load quickly with non dominant hand (left). What do you think? It was definitely a lot of fun building it, and just awesome shooting it!

Very nice shotty! Thanks for the pics and welcome aboard.
Thank you much appreciated. It's a very good forum. I posted the pictures on Facebook and my friend of 40 years said "Nice shotgun for a Mossberg. Did it come in pink? " I replied I was going to go with the 870, but I didn't want a gun made in China. He laughed. He is an 870 guy from working in corrections. I think both make good shotguns, I really liked that the Mossberg was mil-spec.

I will say that the shotgun scabbard will not support the flashlight mounted or the ammo card. It's not a big deal as they are both very easy to mount.

So how do you plan to mount a sling on yours? With the Inforce on the side it gets tricky....
yeah that is what I hear, that is why I went with scabbard. I do know that sometimes having a sling to go to sidearm is important in self defense. I am hoping that the 590a1 with 8 shots clears the house lol

Back