• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first ATR 30.06

Just a couple of days ago I bought me the Mossberg ATR 100 30.06, the rifle came with a scope. I have no problems with anything other then the stock scope, every time I take it out hog hunting or to the range, the scope keeps sliding forward in the rings. I've reset the scope and tightened the rings twice and it keeps doing the samething. I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

If the rings are tight, then I have few possible reasons for it.

Something possibly out of spec, or maybe a 30mm ring with a 1 inch scope come to my mind first.

bones281 said:
Just a couple of days ago I bought me the Mossberg ATR 100 30.06, the rifle came with a scope. I have no problems with anything other then the stock scope, every time I take it out hog hunting or to the range, the scope keeps sliding forward in the rings. I've reset the scope and tightened the rings twice and it keeps doing the samething. I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

I like my ATR.. but the stock scope and rings that come supplied from Mossberg really aren't up to par. I would start with new rings like John mentioned. Grab a good set of weaver rings for a 1" tube and go as low as you can. Tighten everything down with loctite and see how she performs after that. If it's still an issue I'd look at a new scope. There's some real good quality out there for under $200... even around $120 you should be able to find a Bushnell 3x9 that will serve you well.

But start with replacing those rings... the stock ones are POS!

Hi
Mate had a similar problem years ago when we were on a trip, ended up using a couple of wraps of electrical tape on the tube, under the clamps, to the best of my knowledge that was all it ever needed or got, if everything looks to be the right size it might be a good fix till you upgrade.

The other day I shot a hog and decided to lay my rifle on the hog and a took a pic, well the hog was covered in mud, which ended up covering one side of my rifle with that mud, to include the scope, so I had to take the whole thing it down to parade rest. I also noticed that the scope slid forward one again. After clashing everything and just before putting the rifle back together I wrapped the scope with electrical tape. I took it out to zero it back in and after several rounds, the scope didn't move. So thanks for the temp fix.

Back