• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My First gun...old berg .22...need info

My dad gave me my first .22 when I was about 10. It is a bolt action, tube mag and I would like to know more about it. I will attach some pics I found similair, but I will post actual pics asap.

64-S102.JPG

hrod-45b-8.jpg

hrod-45b-1.jpg

I really would like to restore this to as close to factory as possible. I understand it may not be worth a plug nickle, but it is priceless to me.

Thanks, Kyle

welcome from NY. very nice rifle. great site and a great crew here.

i'm sure one of the more seasoned members will be able the steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

Old Mossy is correct. I'd get in touch with Victor and Cheryl Havlin at Havlin Sales. They are our go-to resource for all things related to discontinued Mossbergs. If anyone could help you with parts and info on your rifle, it's them...

As a old Mossberg enthusiast I have found the following site invaluable for info on small bore rifles and early shotguns
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/
On the main menu click on Models & Specs, and that will take you to a page of models, specs, and most importantly - pictures.
There are some models missing, I have found that to be common on sites like that simply because O.F. Mossberg made so many different models.
And as far as it not "being worth a plug nickle" don't count on it. Mossberg 22 rifles and bolt action shotguns are quite collectable. Some rare models are priced accordingly.

Thanks for the link Big Al,

I've run across that site on a few occasions and it's proved to be very useful...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

I've run across that site on a few occasions and it's proved to be very useful...
You are welcome. I like old 22's and shotguns and sites such as that are important to me.
I have 2 Mossberg bolt action 22's and 2 Mossberg bolt action shotguns. Also a Stevens bolt action 22. And on layaway at my neighbor who operates a small gun shop out of his barn, my next aquisition - an early 1940's Harrington & Richardson bolt action 16 gauge. :D
Old guns are good for me for two reasons: 1. they are classics made of wood and steel, and 2. they are relatively cheap which is real good as I'm a po' boy.
Of course parts can be a problem - in the back of my closet is an old 22 rifle that cost me $20 but that needs $80 worth of parts and a lot of tender loving care to be ready for the woods.

Big_Al said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

You are welcome. I like old 22's and shotguns and sites such as that are important to me.
I have 2 Mossberg bolt action 22's and 2 Mossberg bolt action shotguns. Also a Stevens bolt action 22. And on layaway at my neighbor who operates a small gun shop out of his barn, my next aquisition - an early 1940's Harrington & Richardson bolt action 16 gauge. :D
Old guns are good for me for two reasons: 1. they are classics made of wood and steel, and 2. they are relatively cheap which is real good as I'm a po' boy.
Of course parts can be a problem - in the back of my closet is an old 22 rifle that cost me $20 but that needs $80 worth of parts and a lot of tender loving care to be ready for the woods.

hi big al,,your a man after my own heart. love the wood and steel.
you ever try wisner's for old parts?

My project 22 rifle is a Mossberg 340BA, which was made betwen 1960 and 1968. There's no blue left, i'm just going to scrub it with a toothbrush and CLP, leave it with nice patina. It's missing the detachable magazine ($28 at Numrich) and it has the S-320 ramp front sight, which is hooded with flip up blade/apeture, both hood and combination sight post are missing (about $20 at Numrich).
It has a simple leaf rear sight, but is also drilled and tapped for the S-330 receiver sight, which Havelins has. actually, Havelins has reproductions, there are no originals left. Very pricey, though.

It's just something to tinker with when funds allow.

OldMossy - i own no plastic pistols, the only plastic rifle is the synthetic stock on my NEF Handi Rifle 22 Hornet single shot. Maybe it's a function of my age (64).

"Keepin' it real with wood and steel." (Slogan shamelessly lifted from an M-14 forum I belong to)

Back