• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first shotgun

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your new MAV 88.:)

Thank you for all the warm welcoming!

I forgot to mention I did something stupid... I picked up this range bag from the LGS and trashed the box. After I came home then I realized I trashed the owner's manual with the box :( thank god there's YouTube :D

Nice. Nothing like that new gun smell. LOL

Except for that spent shell burned powder smell.

Nice! Start with some birdshot, then buckshot, and finally slugs. I've seen my brother scare several people away from shotguns by starting them on slugs. That foregrip can get slippery when you are starting out and are focusing on other things, so it may be helpful to wear some mechanics gloves with the rubber palms.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Nice! Start with some birdshot, then buckshot, and finally slugs. I've seen my brother scare several people away from shotguns by starting them on slugs. That foregrip can get slippery when you are starting out and are focusing on other things, so it may be helpful to wear some mechanics gloves with the rubber palms.

Wow really? Slug kicks harder than buckshot?
I was gonna try out slug at local rifle range and see how an 12ga feel since I never fire it... I think my local trap and skeet range don't allows birdshot... not sure how I can test birdshot(legally) lol

Most ranges say no "shot" because they don't want you tearing up thier target stands. Generally if you explain to them that you're a first time shooter/testing a new gun/some other legitimate reason and would like to get used to the gun with some low recoil (implied - don't look for it written on the box) birdshot, they will understand and allow you to move the target stand aside and just shoot into the berm. Sometimes they'll trust you to do it, other times they'll have an RO over watch. I can't say the same for indoor ranges.

Welcome khaos and congratulations.
On YouTube there are a bunch of videos that will good for you to check out. I would recommend :" Rob Haught Shotgun Basics" less than 2 minutes dealing with the push/pull grip

Congratulations and welcome to Mossberg Owners! Nice work with the pics right away and I love the gun, the 20" guns are my favorites!

I agree with Shotgun Jeremy. Some ranges have a separate area for shot. We have one not far from here that requires slug shooting on the rifle range with a range officer and shot is kept in another area but they have no stands.

Check also for hunting preserves, they sometimes have practice areas. Some state hunting grounds do too.

Wow really? Slug kicks harder than buckshot?
I was gonna try out slug at local rifle range and see how an 12ga feel since I never fire it... I think my local trap and skeet range don't allows birdshot... not sure how I can test birdshot(legally) lol
Your local Trap and Skeet range will allow #8 bird shot. It is what we use for trap targets. It is also acceptable for Skeet tagets, although some prefer #9 for that game.
If you never shot at flying targets before, ask someone for help. There will be plenty of people offering to help get you started.
Start on Trap. Easier to learn on, but tougher to master, at least it was for me.
Good luck and remember to have FUN!

Your local Trap and Skeet range will allow #8 bird shot. It is what we use for trap targets. It is also acceptable for Skeet tagets, although some prefer #9 for that game.
If you never shot at flying targets before, ask someone for help. There will be plenty of people offering to help get you started.
Start on Trap. Easier to learn on, but tougher to master, at least it was for me.
Good luck and remember to have FUN!
Thanks LTB45 I did chck with trap range, the RO suggest me to use #8 to start too.

Back