• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first time stipling stocks

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
After talking with Rip this morning about the upcoming set of grips, he got me wondering about stipling and he peeked my curiosity, so after a little research, I decided to try my hand at stipling an old walnut Rossi youth combo stock and forend that I always felt was for too plain for as pretty as it was.

stipling088_zpsd42c7522.jpg

So, I used my favorite shotgun as the template by laying a piece of paper over the checkering and traced it by rubbing a pencil over it to get the rough outline, then used a pair of scissors to cut it out.

stipling089_zpsc2951db0.jpg

stipling090_zps809c278b.jpg

Afterwards, I rubbed some craft stick glue to the back of the paper pattern and placed it on the stock where I wanted it and traced the outline with a knife to give me an guide so I can stay in the lines when I start stipling.

Just to take it up another notch, I made an arrowhead design into the handguard pattern as well because I figured if I was going this far, I may as well have some kind of decoration in there and the arrowhead just seemed to fit.

After about a gazillion and three strokes with the dremel, the forend stipling pattern was done. Here it is straight after the dremel.

stipling092_zpsfffe64f6.jpg

Next up was each side of the butt stock. They didn't take as long. Maybe 20 minutes per side.

stipling098_zpse696a4e4.jpg

Now that all of the stipling is complete, to give it a subdued look so the fresh wood wouldn't be such a stark contrast in color, I rubbed baby oil over the entire stock to blend it all back in together.

stipling102_zpsadc6e8d7.jpg

stipling107_zpsd9997635.jpg

It drastically improved the feel of the gun.

All in all, I think it turned out pretty good and the entire thing took around 2 hours to complete.

This was so easy, even I could do it :lol:

But in all seriousness, it was easy to do. Just a little time consuming.

Nice!!!
Darn it man! You took my idea of my arrow head! :lol: Kidding man...that looks sweet though. I like it.

Great job John!

Thanks guys. I'm glad you all liked it, but the main reason I posted about it was to encourage you to try it yourself. hint hint ;)

So, the next time you have a cold rainy day...

John A. said:
Thanks guys. I'm glad you all liked it, but the main reason I posted about it was to encourage you to try it yourself. hint hint ;)

So, the next time you have a cold rainy day...

Like this weekend...

It would be a perfect time to sit down and do it.

Nice work John! I've stippled many polymer stocks and and forends but never tried this method with wood... thanks for the idea!

Back