• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

MY letter to elected officials.

Ttutt

.270 WIN
I saw the link to email all of my elected officials on the Mossberg Owners facebook page. So I wrote this:

The elected officials of this country are in office to serve the people. they are also to protect and defend the constitution of the United States. That constitution does not provide rights or create rights, it protects rights that already existed before the constitution was even written.

Our country has seen its share of upheaval and unrest. Revolution, Civil war, yes I'll even include Civil Rights movement at the same level.

People in this country fought and died to protect the Civil Rights of those that were having their rights denied. Massive protests. Civil unrest. National Guard being called out. Tanks rolling through the streets. The people of this country were willing to go to those lengths and risk life and limb to protect and secure those Civil Rights.
All that for and by a relatively small number of people (at that time). according to this graphic:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets ... ry-top.jpg
the number of people owning guns in this country is 20%. the number of african americans in the us around the time of the civil rights movement was about 10%.

Do our elected officials believe that 20% will resist their rights being denied any less than the 10% so rightfully did decades ago? I already see news stories illustrating this point. County sheriffs declaring that they will defend the constitution rather than enforce a law that is at odds with the constitution. The people of New York are already voicing their disapproval with the outrageous ban that was recently so hastily enacted as to even apply to the state's law enforcement. There are a growing number who are saying that they will begin acts of Civil Disobedience should the state authorities attempt to enforce that particular law. The police union of that state has voiced its concern in opposition. the medical professionals have voiced their concern in opposition. Even such Liberal personalities as George Soros have come out in opposition to such a ban.

This issue isn't about Black or White. it isn't about Democrat or Republican. It isn't about North or South or East or West. This issue is about adhering to the document that founded this nation. That document holds this country together and holds it up as a model for the world.

This country hasn't always stayed on the path that the Constitution outlines, but it has always worked hard to bet back to it. This country, as originated, deserves the fullest efforts of every citizen and of every description to protect and defend the constitution. That means to preserve it by its original wording and with its original intent. It is a grave disservice to this nation to attack the constitution by means of word-play and by convoluted interpretations.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

That is the only context within which the constitution of the United States of America should be interpreted. We the People need our elected officials to stop trying to do things because they can based upon some string of judicial rulings, and to return to doing what the Constitution says that they can do, because if the Constitution does not specifically confer some power upon our President, or upon our Congress, or upon our States, then that power is explicitly reserved for the People.

In light of what our Constitution says. In light of recent reactions by the People, and in light of examples in our country's past of reactions to similar denial of rights, I believe that attempting to enact what some believe to be "reasonable restrictions" upon the constitutional rights of the People would extremely divisive, inflammatory and foolish. Enshrining such legislation as law would be to invite a second Civil Rights movement, the likes of which this nation should never be forced to endure.

I had a minor revelation while I was laying in the bed last night trying to go to sleep. I was thinking, what would make a politician do more than they do even if they could give a hoot less about guns?

Then it dawned on me.

Money, and getting re-elected. But how do I persuade them to do what is needed?

So I type up a letter this morning and send it to a few state officials, including my Governor just to see what happens.

I am writing to you today to ask you to consider protecting firearm owner rights by state authority/law.

In the meantime, while New York has almost destroyed the 2nd Amendment rights of their citizens and even law enforcement capability due to writing bad laws, this brings a number of major firearm manufacturers in New York State that are considering a major move.

These firearm companies include properties owned by cerberus like Remington and Harriet and Richardson/New England Firearms (NEF) and others.

Also, Connetictut is proposing restrictions that could affect Marlin, and Colt, Mossberg, Ruger, New Hartsford Magazine Manufacturing and other firearm accessory manufacturers.

It is a sad time for firearm and accessory manufacturers of hard working Americans, but it could be very prudent for citizens of KY to have these production businesses within our state if we had more protection for these manufacturers like I mentioned earlier. Not to mention the revenue the state would receive from taxes of sales, and money spent in support businesses and foundaries and metalshops, etc.

Matter of fact, Marlin already has a facility in Mayfield, KY.

There will be many other states contacting these companies offering incentives to get them to move to their area's, and why more should be done to protect that by you.

These companies do not like being uprooted and having to move, so they will be looking for a state who has protections in place, as well as a population that can do the physical work they require and I have no doubts that the hard working Kentuckians in our region and district would excel at that.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Got a reply.

wasn't even from Guv'na.

Dixen, Susan (Gov Office) <Susan.Dixen@ky.gov>;

Thank you for contacting me about gun safety and ownership in our state. The horrific shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, as well as other high-profile incidents, has sparked debate on a national level and throughout the states.

The current national conversation on gun violence is a good start. I am a hunter and gun owner and a firm supporter of the Second Amendment -- but all of us must be open to ideas when it comes to the safety needs of our families and, most importantly, of our children and schools. Whatever we choose to do about gun violence, it needs to be a national solution, not something piecemeal state by state.

We do need to address our mental health funding issues. Here in Kentucky, we have worked to protect these programs from cuts despite the economic crisis. However, we need to continue to look for ways to get people the care they need so that all communities and families are safe.

It is unfortunate that Kentucky's school safety program, like many others, has suffered because of the $1.6 billion cuts the Commonwealth was forced to make due to the severe economic recession. Safety in schools remains a high priority for all of us, including the Kentucky Department of Education. As we look toward future budgets, we will look for opportunities to more fully address many of our needs in education such as professional development, textbooks and the Center for School Safety.

Thank you again for sharing your views on these important issues and please don't hesitate to contact me in the future.

Sincerely,

Steven L. Beshear

Ol' Steven wasn't even the one who replied.

Exactly why I didn't vote for him last election, nor will I the next time, and as I promised in earlier letters, will be helping whoever runs against him.

It's not just my vote he's lost.

With the faltering economy and lack of work in my entire region due to his inaction, will be very simple to sway votes away from him.

He can look back and thank his self for that.

Back