• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action Build...

It flexes a little but not a whole lot. Maybe I will grab a video of the small amount of flex.

Oh yeah! And when you have the vid, we can add it to the Mossberg Owners channel on you tube! ;)

Seriously though the fix looks good, and I'm payin attention cuz, it may apply to me one day! :)

Jeez, Dan your making my 4x4 look boring and out of date! slow down and let me catch up! :D haha just kidding, its looking great though. The 2010's do seem to have a lot less recoil, mine has a pretty good kick (my silly friend took the scope to his face the first time he shot it and now he has a scar hahaha). I guess the fluted barrel makes a nice difference! How exactly did you go about attaching the bipod? Ive been very interested in getting one on my 4x4, but I've heard you need to modify your rifle to be able to put the bipod on. Please enlighten me!

Ultimate CC said:
Uncle Mike's 3/8" Swivel Stud
p163912109-3.jpg

p21182806-3.jpg

p282543702-3.jpg

p11051702-3.jpg

p248273995-3.jpg

p185975302-3.jpg
The above is the fix for mounting a bipod to the mossberg 4x4 bolt action. I didn't get to test it a ton yet but so far it's holding up great. I drilled a small hole and installed the stud in it.

Dan....your 4x4 is gorgeous. One of those is definitely next on my wish list. Are you shooting at Blue Mountain in the vid?

I was shooting at a range in Texas and yes some of those videos are at blue mountain.

Sent from my iPhone

I ordered the sling swivel stud (4 of them) from combattactical.com. They came with out the nut. When I contacted them they (Mirelle) said they don't have nuts anymore and that they would be ordering the nuts separately for me and send them ASAP. It's been 2 months and they still havent sent me any nuts. They did suggest that I go out and buy them from some other store and that they would reinburse me. I am just responding to let others know that the link you posted is misleading. Combattactical does not have any nuts with this particular swivel stud.
Update: 10/23/2012 Combattactical sent me the studs with out the nuts again. Contacted them they said they would send the nuts.
Update: 11/02/2012 Combattactical sent the nuts, but they are the wrong size. Contacted them again, I wonder what they will send this time?

How does you bipod sit on your gun? What I mean is does it sit straight when you are looking through the scope. My 30-06 twists ever so slighty to were the horizontal cross hair on my scope is not parallel to the horizon. I do have it mounted to the stock hole for now. I have an uncle mikes swivel stud on order. Wondering if this will fix that.

DHonovich said:
Ultimate CC said:
Uncle Mike's 3/8" Swivel Stud
p163912109-3.jpg

p21182806-3.jpg

p282543702-3.jpg

p11051702-3.jpg

p248273995-3.jpg

p185975302-3.jpg
The above is the fix for mounting a bipod to the mossberg 4x4 bolt action. I didn't get to test it a ton yet but so far it's holding up great. I drilled a small hole and installed the stud in it.
How is your fix holding up to using the Harris bipod? Did you fill in with epoxy?

Still holding up as good as it did the first week. I did not epoxy it but you certainly could for added support.

DHonovich said:
Still holding up as good as it did the first week. I did not epoxy it but you certainly could for added support.
Thanks for your quick and factual reply. BTW, I talked to tech support at Mossberg asking if the molded in sling stud on their synthetic stock on their 4X4 rifles was made to support a Harris bipod and was told yes. However, his replies to my questions made me dubious and thus led me to do more research and the finding of this blog. I'm guessing that little molded stud also made you believe you needed a much stronger stud for the added torque and tension created by the bipod. Thanks for the great instructional pictures, too, of your fix.

Do you have any doubt that your fix, with some added epoxy, will hold up nicely with the bipod in hunting situations?

Glad I could help! I have been using the 4x4 with this harris bipod setup for 2 years now and it has had no problem consistently placing shots where they need to be. My brother took a buck last weekend at 132 yards with it; it went 5 feet before dropping.

DHonovich said:
Glad I could help! I have been using the 4x4 with this harris bipod setup for 2 years now and it has had no problem consistently placing shots where they need to be. My brother took a buck last weekend at 132 yards with it; it went 5 feet before dropping.

Great! Sounds like your fix worked for hunting and, if epoxy was included, there would be no worries at all about using it for hunting for the long term. Thanks again!

Back