• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Mossberg 590 budget build..Philippine Version...:)

Great looking build havoc21. Congratulations on a beauty. Thank you for sharing all those fantastic photographs with us. It's just like being there.

Daytime dave: thak you sir...necessity is the mother of invention as they say since accessories here for mossberg are rare...hence the DIYs...this is also a journal of sorts of the journey of my mossberg shotgun from stock to rock (at least to my taste)...:)

havoc21 said:
Scott M: Hi sir thank you for appreciating my humble efforts...ive been wanting a mossberg shotgun for the longest time..i am a lefty so the controls are just right...you see unlike there where you can buy a shotgun at walmart, here you can only buy thru authorized gunstores and in my case a registered private seller..landed cost here is 2x to 3x what youd pay for a shotgun there, plus accessories are really hard to come by..

i have 3 more mods id like to do, if its successful ill post it asap..:)

This will trip you out a little...

My Grocery Store sells handguns, rifles and Shotguns. :)

Scott M said:
havoc21 said:
Scott M: Hi sir thank you for appreciating my humble efforts...ive been wanting a mossberg shotgun for the longest time..i am a lefty so the controls are just right...you see unlike there where you can buy a shotgun at walmart, here you can only buy thru authorized gunstores and in my case a registered private seller..landed cost here is 2x to 3x what youd pay for a shotgun there, plus accessories are really hard to come by..

i have 3 more mods id like to do, if its successful ill post it asap..:)

This will trip you out a little...

My Grocery Store sells handguns, rifles and Shotguns. :)

Wow...how i wish we also have the same status and enjoy what you guys are enjoying there now in terms of firearms ownership...here, firearms ownership is not an inherent right of the citizenry, but a privilege that is regulated by government.. :cry:

Build update:

was browsing thru twin pines (a local gunstore here in our country) the other day and i was able to purchase a groovtec QD sling pin...install is easy-since it replaces the stock trigger pin with this pin with a QD cup that accepts standard or milspec QD sling mounts..plus its ambidextrous, perfect for me being a lefty..i wanted a QD sling set up, and i so far the accessory perfectly balances the shotgun even in one point sling set up that i did with my MS3... ;)

Side View:

image_zps92f2bd66.jpg

Top View:

image_zpsf9c4f1e2.jpg

with sling installed:

image_zpsc888433d.jpg

image_zps3e12f5ac.jpg

in single point carry:

image_zpsd32ffbfe.jpg

image_zpse94878c0.jpg

my mossy project so far:

image_zpscda1ead3.jpg

Still need/want the following:

LPA SG4 or SG6 front sight (on order and on waiting mode)
front sling attachment (still deciding if QD or for clip type-may get the gg&g)
tri rail mag attachment (i have this already-thanks sir optics-prob is fitment-i need a gunsmith to help me on this)
sidesaddle shotshell carrier (i want the archangel 7 round shotshell carrier! how i wish i can buy this!)
cerakote the whole firearm :twisted:
magpul mossberg sga stock, moe foreend ill have to see if i can mod to fit;definitely will not remove my heatshield :twisted:

after those few more mods- i can say that this project is complete for my needs... :D

Thanks for viewing!

Build update:

It is my belief (not an absolute truth, for i am not a shotgun expert/guru) that the best stock configuration for a mossberg are regular/straight stocks-this is due primarily to its safety and bolt release location..other stock configurations, especially pistol grip ar style stocks, would render the safety and bolt release location advantage useless...a pistol grip/ar style stock meanwhile, in my humble opinion, is best suited for shotguns with the safety and bolt release location near the trigger guard such as remingtons..being a left handed shooter, if i had my way, and if i had two shotguns-one mossberg 590 and one remington 870, my mossberg will definitely have a magpul sga stock in its final iteration, while my theoretical remington 870 will have a pistol grip/AR style stock, in its many forms from different manufacturers to choose from.... :D

however.....

a good deal on a Fab Defense pistol grip with buffer tube for mossberg shotguns- at a very good price (Thank you sir Topher of PPF Forums! :) ) just cant be passed up and ignored...coupled with a Fab Defense GL Shock M4 shock-absorbing ButtStock with adjustable cheekpiece, this AR style pistol grip stock setup is something that i cant wait to have installed in my mossberg...(however, upon shipping the nut was forgotten...sir topher though immediately sent me the missing nut and is on its way :D )

Fab defense pistol grip with DIY buffertube (thank you sir Topher!) and Fab Defense GL Shock M4 shock-absorbing Stock
20131227_000647_zps02f74bf7.jpg

NC Star shotgun Tri-rail (thank you sir warren/bro optics of PPF Forums!-still uninstalled, need for a gunsmiths' assistance on this for fitting)
20131227_000631_zps6bbd0ebf.jpg

20131227_000800_zps243140a2.jpg

20131227_000839_zps7f3001fc.jpg

will update this once its installed....

Build update:

Nut came in the mail, thanks again sir topher..

Fab Defense Pistol grip stock with GL Shock m4 Buttstock installed..

20131228_1112442_zpsa945d089.jpg

20131228_1111032_zps3cbc3e7c.jpg

20131228_1113212_zps9e737760.jpg

That is a dandy looking defense shotgun.

Wish we could have the 14" barrel lengths here without the extra taxation and registration.

It's looking very nice Havoc21! Thanks for keeping the updates coming. I'm sure any knowing American, or gun fan anywhere for that matter, would like to have your shotgun.

How is the ammo selection and availability where you live?

Any updates how the recovery efforts are coming along in the areas that were badly damaged?

John A, Aksavanaman; thank you sirs for your appreciation...:) just as u wish you could easily have 14 inch barrels without the hassle, how i wish also we had here more shotgun accessories to choose form...

Carbinemike: ammo availability here especially for shotguns are easily available, especially the locally made armcor...us ammo is also available, but 2 or 3 times the price of maybe what u pay for there...so far im just using armscor 00 buckshot, 4 birdshot, gb brand 00buckshot and tactical edge 00 buckshot...all without hiccups...slugs were sold out when i bought ammo, but maybe they have restocked, and i havent checked them out lately..

Recovery efforts are still ongoing..the provinces affected are little by little trying to stand up to its feet..but its still a long way....im just counting on the resiliency of our nation and our people to rise above all this...thank you for all your country's efforts to help us...

Again my thanks...hope all of u are enjoying what i post, no matter how humble my shtgun mods are...i just really love this firearm...:)

By mid january next year im expecting another part to mod my shottie again..

Impressions on the newly installed fab defense stock:

The pistol grip stock feels good in the hand...shouldering also feels good, since the lop is adjustable and it has the same lop of my chopped off stock..actuating the bolt release with my left hand fingers are not that bad...but safety button is definitely out of my reach with this present config..as with the orig stock when every control was witihn my reach, now i have to retrain a little to make my actions more fluid especially in an emergency situation..

But the shotgun definitely looks very badass right now....

Interesting to note that the fab defense stock has a slim but very hard shoulder pad...much harder than the hard rubber of the original mossberg stock...and while testing the recoil compensating qualities of the gl shock m4 stock when i was shouldering it, pushing it on my shoulder and testing the dampening spring, i discovered having boot like welts on the pocket of my shoulder...i can only imagine using this and having some range time...i think the recoil kick would be much more brutal..... :twisted:

Will keep this in this config for while...till i can get a mossberg magpul sga stock...i like its badass looks..will post range report also in a few days...

Build Update:

Hopefully to get the accessory i want this month...other accessories are also on order and will come by Feb or March...

Meanwhile, pics on a diet-minus flashlight mount and afg...

20140105_1711002_zps7c2bfe97.jpg

20140105_1710302_zps76797026.jpg

20140105_1709472_zps1a9e5fde.jpg

20140105_1711532_zpsc0e02995.jpg

20140105_1711402_zps168ae4ef.jpg

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Lookin good!

How's the weight and balance now?

Thanks LES...

weight and balance is much better...i noticed that due to the flashlight, mount and AFg, it became a little too front heavy...right now, the balance is just perfect...altho i must admit, the present stock config is not my ideal...i want what a regular or a MAgpul SGA stock configuration has to offer in terms of ergonomics and controls manipulation, since i am a lefty...

but in badass looks, it definitely gets a plus coz of the Fab Defense pistol grip and stock... :twisted:

waiting for a sidesaddle that i ordered that hopefully ill be able to install by months' end..nothing fancy, just function and form....:)

will look at the balance and weight again after that..

Build Update:

Promag/Archangel 7 shotshell sidesaddle install :cool:

It pays to be friendly here at PPF (a local firearms forum here), for there are a lot of generous forumer gentlemen here that are really genuine people that can show concern to your cause, and unexpectedly help you along the way....

Met Sir Bruiser a few hours ago, to pick up this item he graciously ordered for me from US, to help me along in my build...

As for the sidesaddle, i have always wanted to buy and install one, initially wanting a tacstar sidesaddle-only to find every gunstore that i visited dont have it on stock...

ive also wanted the Mesa Tactical 6 rounder, but hindrances such as non availability here locally, no means to buy it abroad, as well as its steep price (2 or 3 times than that of the tacstar here) was discouraging at best...

i realized that i may have to do another DIY sidesaddle-similar from posts ive seen at the internet, or even have myself made some velcro shotshell cards done here locally...

till one day while browsing the net i found the promag/archangel 7 shot sidesaddle- a relatively new product..only few reviews can be read while searching the net for more info about the sidesaddle...but all in all, it looked very promising..it had obvious advantages over its competitors, such as-1.having individual tension adjustment per shell, 2.made of carbon and glass polymer, with steel plate backing and rubber gasket to protect the firearm, has 7 rounds instead of the usual 6, thus more ammo to carry, and the clincher-it was inexpensive compared to others...timing that sir bruiser offered to help me, hence, with a leap of faith, i decided to order it..

In its packaging

106_zpsa500ccc3.jpg

20140109_001341_zps0dd2c90b.jpg

unpacked

20140109_001439_zps857c8f0e.jpg

115_zps7f17d1b4.jpg

installed ejector nut and flange
117_zpse1549c67.jpg

installed!!!

085_zps09b33ace.jpg

083_zpsd9a95f6e.jpg

082_zps046621aa.jpg

081_zps53979cd6.jpg

080_zpsf21ea3b7.jpg

079_zps14335e3d.jpg

092_zpsfd333a9d.jpg

087_zps0e728364.jpg

088_zps1c911b07.jpg

expending excess adrenaline due to my excitement, i was still able to mock it up with my regular stock :D

105_zpsfbd1dbd7.jpg

099_zps1009f8ed.jpg

098_zps37fe0273.jpg

097_zps75fdd746.jpg

095_zps35dbab58.jpg

091_zps449c6ee0.jpg

thoughts on the promag/archangel sidesaddle:

-very easy to install
-hi quality item based on heft and finish-looks like it will last the lifetime of the firearm
-looks like its expensive competitor-mesa tactical, tho this one is made from heavy polymer not aluminum
-has individual tension screws per shotshell to adjust to ones preference in terms of shotshell retention-a first in its class
-seven rounder instead of the usual 6 without sacrificing any space or ergonomics
-personally i felt it balanced the shotgun better-no more heaviness near the muzzle
-I was still able to use my grovetec qd cup pin sling attachment-a definite plus!!
- and the best, its cheap but definitely not cheaply made! i got it for much less the price of a locally available tacstar sidesaddle!!! (this is a budget build after all :lol: )

all in all, im very happy right now... :D

Build update:

Custom Fabricated Shotgun Rig courtesy of Sir Crackets of Cavite Outfitters (a local fabricator of custom firearms rigs/bandoleers etc..) ;)

Upon my arrival at home, I find my package…..:)

Thanks again sir Cracket of Cavite Outfitters for its timely delivery…

Although the rig is actually not an integral part of my mossberg 590 shotgun itself, i thought it is but fitting to include it here in my build since as we all know, as a weapon platform, even with the devastating blast of a shotshell and the potential damage it may inflict on a perp or BG, as well as its versatility via ammunition choices of birdshot, buckshot and long range slug, there is one inherent weakness that all shotguns, wether pump or semi-auto, possess and share- and that is LIMITED AMMO CAPACITY. In training for the shotgun, this particular rig has a very good 'system' that- a.) facilitates organization of ammunition, a plus since it enhances the versatility aspect of the shotgun via choices of the ammo we carry, b.) increases ammunition capacity, which mitigates the limited ammo capacity handicap of the shotgun, as the rig carries all the load you might need, and then some, and lastly, c.) with proper training, fast reloading…thus as an enthusiast, I would like to develop certain skillsets that can be retained and become ‘muscle memory’ even under duress or in a hostile situation-my shotgun together with this rig- both tools seamlessly working together-something Id like to train with, learn and hopefully be proficient in. Lastly, as economics go, a well-built rig specific to the shotgun platform, especially the likes of the larger SHOTGUN COP RIG and the more compact 12G MICRO RIG, both made in the USA by SOE, are gonna cost you an arm and a leg to have and acquire….225 dollars and 140 dollars to be exact! ( Php 10,282.05 and Php 6,309.08, at present day exchange rate of 45.07 per dollar, wla pa shipping and handling ) Since I am still in the middle of this budget build, and with certain shotgun parts and accessories I am in the process of still acquiring, a rig in that price point would be low in my priority list of buying…Only thru serendipitous and fortuitous events-my stock Mossberg ghost ring rear sights plus a few more bucks, traded to sir Cracket, and in return, thru my idea and prodding coupled with their expertise in making well-built, locally available quality n affordable rigs for the pinoy firearm enthusiast, he fabricated me a ‘copy’ (and a very good one at that) of the said SOE Shotgun Cop Rig. Since we are just gonna copy a platform, might as well choose and copy the best.

Original SOE Shotgun COP RIG, Features;

An original SOE Cop Rig has 3 M4 magazine sized pouches holding 6 shotshell trays/cards, two in each pouch, 3 mounted via Velcro on the face of the pouches and 3 inside the pouches themselves, with extended webbing to anchor the tray/card when used. The 3 outside trays have shorter webbing in which the tray hangs from when pulled from the Velcro face after being used, same with the inside trays, only those have longer webbing. A removable personal medical pouch, held via Velcro, webbing with buckle is also attached at the front, its location dependent on wether the user/operator is right handed or left handed. In addition, it has a flat admin pouch at the back portion of the rig that can store documents and other essentials. Two extra large straps and a smaller waist strap-each with corresponding buckles, secures the rig crisscrossed to the body and completes the set-up. All throughout, SOE uses Type 4 webbing, grade A velcro, and 1000D cordura in their materials. Every product they do including this one is double layered and at minimum triple stitched-hence what they make has "Bomb Proof" credentials and regarded as extremely strong and durable. And to top it all, their products have a lifetime warranty-the best in the industry. Those unfamiliar with the rig can easily find further info in the internet, and videos reviewing the rig and explaining how it is utilized abound in youtube such as below, but im gonna assume most of you are familiar with it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTWKJYdilv8[/youtube]

(disclaimer: the review of the product and opinions expressed herein are all from a personal view standpoint; i do not own an original SOE Shotgun Cop Rig, have never seen one or handled one in person, nor can i directly compare an original SOE rig over this custom fabricated rig. I am also just an occasional and average shotgun enthusiast, not a highly trained, proficient and experienced tactical shotgunner; nor am i connected with the fabricator of this product-Sir Cracket and Cavite Outfitters-I am just expressing my honest, personal take of the product ;) Thus, readers are advised to take everything i say with a grain of salt in this review :cool: )

IMG_0827_zps112b7f09.jpg

IMG_0826_zpsb2ba852f.jpg

Initial impression on Cavite Outfitters Shotgun Rig;

Upon opening the package, the smell of freshly stitched cordura (in tagalog-amoy bagong gawa, hehehe) hit my nostrils…Holding it in my hands, I can say that this is one handsome rig. What also caught my eye is the combination of grey (‘foliage’ in milspeak?) and brown (Khaki? Cayote?) that was very cool-looking…I was reminded of a Maxpedition Colossus Bag that I personally saw in a mall and wanted then- in that exact color combination. Since the rig’s color is more of a personal preference, a good thing is our outfitters offer colors specific to what customer wants.

I initially wanted the more compact 12G micro rig copy, only to change my choice at the last minute-the 12 additional rounds I could potentially carry would be a waste if I didn’t include it in the fabrication. Upon fitting and loading it to full capacity, and with my large build, I can safely say I made the right choice.

IMG_0818_zpsb5dec3de.jpg

IMG_0816_zps417cf649.jpg

IMG_0814_zps68c065f1.jpg

IMG_0821_zpscac7be05.jpg

IMG_0822_zpsdcad00d8.jpg

Inspecting the stitching all throughout, I find everything in order…not a stray strand and most stitching done are straight, clean and exact.…I inspected the back portion borders of the rig which I feel holds everything in place and is where the whole rig draws its integrity and strength, especially in full load-and find it has double stitching all throughout-very good, but I personally feel can still be improved upon-via box stitching or zigzag stitching especially on the four buckle anchor points as added insurance.

IMG_0812_zps5b7eef08.jpg

The shotshell trays/cards-the heart of this rig, I inspected and found to have very clean precise stitches which I liked… I looked at the six elastic loops in each tray and found it also had very good, straight and clean stitches, and loaded all six trays to full capacity-36 shotshells in all. I find no difficulty in loading the shells in the loops, (which might indicate too tight a loop) and each loop offered just the right ‘hold’ in ably securing the shotshell. The beauty of this rig is that it helps you organize the shotshells accordingly- and with the ammos being organized (e.g. right tray 12 #4 birdshot rounds, middle tray 12 #00 buckshot rounds, left tray 12 1oz slug rounds), ammo selection is easy depending on the task and target at hand.

All three M4 mag-sized pouches have the industrial strength Velcro ‘fuzzy side’ stitched to its front. The size of the pouches have a purpose-another benefit of this rig is if the user so desires, he can convert it to be used as an M4 dedicated rig by not using all six shotshell trays. I have noticed however that the rig only has one shared buckle/tether at the bottom of each pouch to anchor the shotshell tray/card webbing (two are present at each pouch in the SOE rig) and that the top of the M4 sized mag pouches do not have individual bungee retention slings that can be used to secure M4 magazines (these are present in the SOE Cop Rig). Hopefully on future versions, these two features are added accordingly.

IMG_0797_zpsd2904c11.jpg

IMG_0803_zps8c152a84.jpg

Moving on to the Tear off compact medical pouch, I was surprised when I saw this initially on sir Crackets pics- I didn’t know they were secured via Velcro and webbing and can be removed, I thought the pouch was stitched on. The pouch opens via the four flaps, and access inside is unhampered. Also elastic webbing is sewn inside to secure and organize your emergency medical supplies and prevent them from falling out. In retrospect, the pouch being removable is a very good design, since you have easy access to your emergency medical kit via tearing it off and having it in front of you in a medical emergency, as opposed to fumbling in your chest area were your access and field of vision may be limited or hampered for a number of reasons. Good thing Cavite Outfitters did their homework on this one.

IMG_0805_zpsb5f6e74b.jpg

IMG_0806_zps18b3b132.jpg

I have noticed though, that the back of the rig had the ‘hard side’ Velcro and the pouch has the ‘fuzzy side’ velcro (The original SOE rig had the ‘fuzzy side’ Velcro at all sides-the face of the 3 mag pouches and the back of the rig - the ‘hard side’ Velcro is at the pouch ) In the event the user doesn’t want to use the removable medpouch, he can use the blank space to slap on 2-3 additional shotshell trays, effectively making it a shotshell-only dedicated rig (the shotshell trays have the ‘hard side’ Velcro at their back, remember? :p) hopefully on future versions, this too can be corrected by just reversing their Velcro backing.

IMG_0804_zps51a25c66.jpg

The admin pouch on the rear of the rig has a very large space, for securing documents and other things…on this particular rig, to test its versatility, I didn’t just put in flat documents, I placed my 3032 beretta tomcat with pocket holster, two additional tomcat magazines, as well as my leatherman charge with nylon holster. Not only did the pouch ate all those up, but from the pictures I have taken, there was still room to spare for additional storage on other essential items-be it spare magazines, additional med supplies, or even additional shotshell trays/cards…What’s more, upon securing the rig on my chest, no noticeable bulking can be seen or did I feel on my body caused by the items I carried.

IMG_0801_zps8440ce03.jpg

IMG_0800_zpsb3f34a0e.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsd3b58388.jpg

A further run thru of the entire rig finds me very much satisfied-this is not only a handsome rig, it is a well built one at that… Cordura 900D PU Coated Nylon Fabric, heavy-duty plastic hardware, quality nylon webbings and straps, milspec nylon threads and stitching, and heavy-duty Velcro fasteners-all are quality materials used to fabricate and customize this rig for my use, and all of this, at a price point that an average firearms enthusiast, especially the ‘budget conscious’ like me cannot resist…

IMG_0793_zps5be75efe.jpg

IMG_0828_zps1ae014ba.jpg

In summary, here are my thoughts on the Shotgun Rig by Cavite Outfitters:

1. Best platform copied on, rig specifically designed for the shotgunner in mind
2. Quality materials used throughout the fabrication of the rig
3. Craftsmanship is superb-rig is not only eye candy but actually strong, durable and light
4. Addresses the handicap of all shotguns-ammo capacity, 36 additional shotshells for the user
5. Organizes shotshell ammo accordingly and facilitates fast reloading
6. Has added versatility via use as an M4 rig/ has detachable medpouch/large admin pouch etc.
7. Locally fabricated and available, can also be customized accordingly to teh users preferences
8. The best is the price- very much lower pricepoint than the original, without sacrificing quality!

As my fabricated rig is the ‘prototype rig’ or version 1.0, and we didn’t have an original SOE rig to exactly copy every detail, dimension and feature, I expected certain glitches and flaws that hopefully will be refined and resolved, or certain features added in future versions such as;

1. Addition of reinforcement stitches (box stitch/zigzag stitch) on load/anchor points (buckle areas) as added 'bullet proof' insurance
2. Addition of 3 more buckles/tethers at the bottom of the 3 pouches as anchor points of the shotshell trays/cards
3. Addition of bungee retention straps on top of the pouches to secure m4 magazines when used as an M4 rig
4. Addition of 2 elastic loops on the two outside borders of the med pouch to secure additional emergency med gear
5. Reverse the Velcro backing between rear of rig and rear of med pouch
6. An H type slim padded harness instead of the regular large strap webbing offered as an upgrade upon request of the user

Again, kudos and thanks to sir Crackets of Cavite Outfitters for a superb job in making me this ‘bullet-proof’ Shotgun Chest Rig!

Nice rig.

I purchased a 25 shell bandolier, and turned it into a sling.

That way, I always have a bunch of shells available and with the gun at all times, but can also serve double duty as a sling.

John A. said:
Nice rig.

I purchased a 25 shell bandolier, and turned it into a sling.

That way, I always have a bunch of shells available and with the gun at all times, but can also serve double duty as a sling.

thank you sir...it is fabricated from locally available materials in our country and from a local fabricator here...though in my honest opinion the real deal by SOE is still the best in the market right now...its just not available here locally...:(

most set ups from others in our local forum like yours are saying they have a hard time with it, since it affects the balance of the shotgun because of the added weight that swings from the sling..do you experience this as well?

Back