• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My primary home defense

You are guessing wrong on all counts. First of all -- of course I've shot it. While it is new as of this past June, I've put several hundred rounds of birdshot through it and recently switched over to buckshot, having decided it is broken in enough. As for the stud -- not just my opinion, but that of several others whose opinion I value. A weak link in an otherwise great gun. As for collecting dust -- where did I say that? Did I not say it would be used at the range? As I am retired, I go to the range often.

From the original post is just seemed like you bought it for HD and didn't plan on using it much, so I apologize. I'm sure you can imagine that I've (and many others) have run across many folks who buy a gun and never fire it... literally never. Glad to hear she's seen good use since you've bought her!

That said, I still don't think the original sling swivel is a weak point of the 590. I have run thousands of rounds through my 590A1, most of which with a sling attached to the original mounting location. I just haven't seen the evidence to the contrary. But... to each his own.

On that note I would still suggest the Elzetta light mount. I believe as an upgrade option they make a QD swivel option that attaches directly to the flashlight mount.

http://www.elzetta.com/zsm.html and http://www.elzetta.com/zss8700.html

This discussion on the sling stud (off the bayonet lug) is starting to get "he said - she said". So let me show exactly what came with my gun:

026_zpse6840f88.jpg

As I had said somewhere in the beginning -- it barely had two threads to work with. When I first thought I might be able to use it, I removed the washer that you see there, so that it would give me another thread or so. But that still was a very weak connection.

Now if you folks really think that is "strong" for mounting a sling, then I won't be able to change your mind.

From the original post is just seemed like you bought it for HD and didn't plan on using it much, so I apologize. I'm sure you can imagine that I've (and many others) have run across many folks who buy a gun and never fire it... literally never. Glad to hear she's seen good use since you've bought her!

That said, I still don't think the original sling swivel is a weak point of the 590. I have run thousands of rounds through my 590A1, most of which with a sling attached to the original mounting location. I just haven't seen the evidence to the contrary. But... to each his own.

On that note I would still suggest the Elzetta light mount. I believe as an upgrade option they make a QD swivel option that attaches directly to the flashlight mount.

http://www.elzetta.com/zsm.html and http://www.elzetta.com/zss8700.html

Thanks for the apology. Believe me, I am soaking all of the advice in. In fact, an hour or so ago, I went and examined the elzetta clamp and I have it saved in my Favorites, along with other clamps.
As you'll see, I just posted the picture of my sling stud. I think that will clear up a lot of confusion. BUT, I am wondering now if -- since you all have good things to say about that sling hookup -- perhaps my gun came with a defective part? I just assumed that was the part. It sure doesn't have many threads.

one that has seen heavy use and not missed a beat, Laserlite tri rail

[/URL
]
[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/IMG_1224_zpse84cae82.jpg.html][/URL
]

This gun is NEVER going to see heavy use.

My other intended use (and the reason for the sling), is if we end up in a SHTF situation, and I find myself joining some others in defending our neighborhood, or God forbid, actually having to bug out somewhere.

Firstly what makes you so sure it will NEVER see heavy use?

There is a possibility S Hits The F. Why would you ever settle for something that is ok for something that will NEVER see hard use.

If SHTF , you will not see spare parts abundant online, no online. You think spare parts are going to fall out of the sky?

Parts wear, misused parts wear faster, your gun might see SHTF, Don't care if your gun gets no use at all, you have added leaverge points to your action.
You don't need to use it to drop it down a rock face or whatever and have one of those leaverage points tweek or break your action upon its landing.
your shotgun also is possessing flaws that might affect function as the sling on your forend has many more good than bad points to it....it compromises you working the action, however remote the chance it is there.

When you think of SHTF first wipe this thought of abundant parts and ammo out of your mind....look at the last panic and X that by 10,000

You will have no internet, no cell phone, no power, no fuel....where are your parts coming from again?
and what makes you think you wont have to fight for them, glad your strong .....hope you can fight and have someone watch out while you sleep

I am a very strong guy, and the extra weight at the end hasn't been a problem for me so far at the range. Admittedly, it doesn't handle like my 6 1/4 lb LC Smith, but what does? (This is not going to be a trap gun where I have to quickly swing through a 90 degree + arch, etc.)

You talk about possible bug out and SHTF.....ounces are pounds.....its not too heavy but when its strapped to your ass humping around all day it adds up, your wander into some crack camp and your going to want as fast of a swing as you ever had, since you mentioned it

in closing you make little to no since to me and you are without a doubt shooting from the hip on this

you claim only HD yet buy the model Mossberg makes for the military and bypass Mossberg's marketed HD line

After you state it will NEVER see heavy you turn around and say its a possible SHTF tool, yet have no worry about a bullet proof set up and seem to think wear parts are a non issue.

I wish you good luck, try not to listen to too many internet people including myself, you never know who your talking too, lots of well off aspiring photographers and people who are good at repeating what they hear posing as "gun owners" out there, right here on MO even.[/URL]

This discussion on the sling stud (off the bayonet lug) is starting to get "he said - she said". So let me show exactly what came with my gun:

As I had said somewhere in the beginning -- it barely had two threads to work with. When I first thought I might be able to use it, I removed the washer that you see there, so that it would give me another thread or so. But that still was a very weak connection.

Now if you folks really think that is "strong" for mounting a sling, then I won't be able to change your mind.

I can't remember if I used the original or just a sling stud from my parts bin... but it was certainly longer than the one provided with yours. But to keep it simple, I'd really look at the clamp mounted options.

I'm flattered you'd mention me in a post;)

I have a sling for my old '89 Mariner, but only put it on if I'm going to be outside hiking around. Other than that, just the heat shield that came with it, and a slip on cartridge holder. Thought about painting it black, but I like that retro stainless look. :)

Daddy likes the shiny metal object! :D You would deserve the cat o' nine tails if you painted that shield black! ;)

My primary home defense. Nothing can sneek up, nothing. He will give me a small growl to make me aware, and investigate in stealth mode. 50 lbs of pissed off super protective Heeler/dingo.
A good dog should everyone's first line of defense. Then there is your boom stick.

Attachments

• IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 7
I agree that the sling point on the forend is all wrong I think mounting anything to the forend besides a small, low profile light weight light is not advantageous. Something like the Inforce WML is perfect. it's a simple fix for you though. Get a Magpul Forward Sling Mount and move that sling up ahead of the pump where it will have a solid place to mount with out the fear of your sling keeping your gun from cycling for some reason. Back to lights I personally go with a lower lumen light than your using, unless you will be using it exclusively outdoors or all your walls are painted dark colors. 1,100 lumens will definitely screw up your vision from the reflected light off white or light colored walls inside a house. 200 is enough to illuminate a room and enough to make the average person look away when its pointed in their face. So check out the Magpul Forward Sling Mount and check this video out.

PS. The picture shows the sling mount with a loop but it also works with your QD Sling Swivels

182_995_popup.jpg

Last edited:

I agree that the sling point on the forend is all wrong I think mounting anything to the forend besides a small, low profile light weight light is not advantageous. Something like the Inforce WML is perfect. it's a simple fix for you though. Get a Magpul Forward Sling Mount and move that sling up ahead of the pump where it will have a solid place to mount with out the fear of your sling keeping your gun from cycling for some reason. Back to lights I personally go with a lower lumen light than your using, unless you will be using it exclusively outdoors or all your walls are painted dark colors. 1,100 lumens will definitely screw up your vision from the reflected light off white or light colored walls inside a house. 200 is enough to illuminate a room and enough to make the average person look away when its pointed in their face. So check out the Magpul Forward Sling Mount and check this video out.

PS. The picture shows the sling mount with a loop but it also works with your QD Sling Swivels

Sinkhole - thanks for your post

I've been taking a hard look at the Magpul forward mount (shown in your pic). I've actually been waiting for them to open their doors out in Colorado to give them a call. I have several questions:

Also thanks for your video -- interesting as he spends time on the same Magpul light mount as mine.

Glad I could help. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

I talked to Magpul and have purchased the forward mount. With only one bolt, I guess it is easy enough to take off when cleaning the gun. I have a question though on the silicone pads. Some of the reviews on the mount claim the pads come off. Has that been your experience?

I have not mounted mine yet as I'm waiting for my S&J +2 extension to arrive. I haven't heard of the pads coming of but I have heard of not being packaged with any. Mine came with them though. I'm sure if they did come off thought Magpul would send you another set of pads.

Why would you ever change your mind about your mounting point ?.......don't have to worry about using it.......wait , more magpul parts can't be wrong.

You got offered good advice on this site from police, military and a couple nobodies like me and you had it all thought out and rebutted everything we advised........a guy, no offense sinkhole, comes on with a part that he hasn't used and your all over it, wow.....

Why would you ever change your mind about your mounting point ?.......don't have to worry about using it.......wait , more magpul parts can't be wrong.

You got offered good advice on this site from police, military and a couple nobodies like me and you had it all thought out and rebutted everything we advised........a guy, no offense sinkhole, comes on with a part that he hasn't used and your all over it, wow.....
None taken. lol

Sorry Sinkhole -- that comment was meant for me, not you.

I think you need to go back and read some earlier posts. I've actually been thinking of this Magpul mount for a while. And I'm curious ... what exactly is it that has you perturbed? Have I offended you somehow?

are8upyd.jpg

ebajyda2.jpg

EBay special clamp on tri rail, with a streamlight weapon light. Plenty sturdy enough for a sling point also. keep it simple

I think you need to go back and read some earlier posts. I've actually been thinking of this Magpul mount for a while. And I'm curious ... what exactly is it that has you perturbed? Have I offended you somehow?
no you haven't offended me

I have not mounted mine yet as I'm waiting for my S&J +2 extension to arrive. I haven't heard of the pads coming of but I have heard of not being packaged with any. Mine came with them though. I'm sure if they did come off thought Magpul would send you another set of pads.

My sling mount came in yesterday and included the gel pads. They give you a spare set. As I am using the QD swivel, I removed the loop. As the loop acted as the nut for the main bolt, they also provide two 1/4" nuts for that purpose. Have to say, it was tedious to reassemble with just the nut as I had no tools to hold it in place, but I am gathering a thin-wall socket and hex bit socket wrench to make the job much easier when I have to remove the mount for gun cleaning. They also recommend a torque of 23 in/lbs so as not to overtighten. Overall, I am pleased with the quality and with care, I also believe I can keep from marring the finish on barrel and magazine.

I had received a lot of advice to get the sling mount off of the forend -- and I heeded that advice. The OEM stud they provided me for the bayonet lug was totally inadequate as my picture showed. I don't understand why that part is so short (and only two threads), when if you look into the threaded hole on the bayonet lug, it is 7/16" deep with at least 10 threads. Anyway, it matters not as I prefer the sling attached on the side instead of the bottom. So, this Magpul sling mount is a good solution.

The sling swivel stud on the bayo lug is fine for a sling carry over the shoulder (picture military marching men at sling arms) but if you want a two point sling for carry across the chest and mobility plus shooting then that sling point is in the totally wrong place. It has to be on the side, as high as possible. Same with the rear sling mount point.

Back