• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My SHTF 500 Project

After spending way too much time trolling this site I figured it was time to share a little.

Here is my workhorse 500, purchased in 1987 as a turkey gun that has never looked back. There have been some serious changes over the past years and I feel as if I have finally achieved my own version of perfection.

Some of the modifications:
High capacity kit
Black Aces rail
Black Aces side saddle
Duracoat SnowGray
Oversized safety
Hogue foregrip
Knoxx Gen2 recoil stock
GGG Sling Adapter

I typically run a Northeast Tactical single point bungee sling and a TLR2 (if needed)

Moss500web_zpsc17e0ed6.jpg

MossWeb500b_zps65791ef9.jpg

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the pics and I'm gad you made the leap and joined up...welcome aboard. I kept my Mossberg on the simpler side so I'm curious how do you like the mods? Which one gave you the best bang for the buck and are do you have any that weren't worth it?

Thanks for the comment!

I have done WAY too many things to this gun and found many things that just did not work for "me".

I went round and round on what I wanted to do with this 500 from sport, to HD to SHTF. Each time I would invest in projects and "tacticool" accessories only to find failure at the range. With that being said keep in mind these are things that are nothing more than individual preference.

Personal accessory failures for me...
Hogue pistol grip (cute but pointless unless I want to look cool and just enjoy ripping my elbow apart),
Standard heat shield (cheap and flimsy / no real protection),
Tri-rail foregrip (unless you choose to train with gloves the rails would eat into your hands over range days. Only option would be rail covers then you are just adding weight).
Fancy flashlights, more weight than worth.

I L-O-V-E the knoxx gen2 stock, unfortunately I guess they had a batch of failures and stopped producing/selling them. The heatshield/rail from BlackAces is very light weight and will allow me to put anything on anywhere (if that is my desire). The sling mount is simple. A single point sling is brainless (throw on and adjust if needed).

Time and time again, when I go out and train I find myself using the stock front bead as opposed to ever fancy toy I have tried (holosights, BUIS).

Again, I am NOT an operator by any means of professional comparison but I do train with what I build.

I hope some of this helps answer your question.

Here is one of the MANY stages this 500 has lived...

Moss1_zps112af011.jpg

FloridaOccifer said:
Thanks for the comment!

I have done WAY too many things to this gun and found many things that just did not work for "me".

I went round and round on what I wanted to do with this 500 from sport, to HD to SHTF. Each time I would invest in projects and "tacticool" accessories only to find failure at the range. With that being said keep in mind these are things that are nothing more than individual preference.

Personal accessory failures for me...
Hogue pistol grip (cute but pointless unless I want to look cool and just enjoy ripping my elbow apart),
Standard heat shield (cheap and flimsy / no real protection),
Tri-rail foregrip (unless you choose to train with gloves the rails would eat into your hands over range days. Only option would be rail covers then you are just adding weight).
Fancy flashlights, more weight than worth.

I L-O-V-E the knoxx gen2 stock, unfortunately I guess they had a batch of failures and stopped producing/selling them. The heatshield/rail from BlackAces is very light weight and will allow me to put anything on anywhere (if that is my desire). The sling mount is simple. A single point sling is brainless (throw on and adjust if needed).

Time and time again, when I go out and train I find myself using the stock front bead as opposed to ever fancy toy I have tried (holosights, BUIS).

Again, I am NOT an operator by any means of professional comparison but I do train with what I build.

I hope some of this helps answer your question.

Here is one of the MANY stages this 500 has lived...

We all play with the toys the gods give us. ;)

Looks good. Question. How do you pick up your bead sight with the rail in place? I'm torn as to whether or not I want go with the full rail mount myself, because I am the type of guy that would HAVE TO completely disassemble my weapon, and the full rail doesn't seem conducive to that. What's your experience with that?

Everyone is different, got to roll with what works for you, feels right for you and is within your budget. I will give you this though, at least it doesn't have a bipod, tri laser, cotton candy maker, gps unit, espresso maker and or cup holder, mounted to the thing.

Everyone is different, got to roll with what works for you, feels right for you and is within your budget. I will give you this though, at least it doesn't have a bipod, tri laser, cotton candy maker, gps unit, espresso maker and or cup holder, mounted to the thing.

Tow master, what does he need a cup holder for?

image.jpg

Back