• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My single shot journey to 12gauge

Djcala

.30-06
Supporter
Ive debated were this belongs:
Hunting , survival, modifications or ???? So IL just stick it here for the now. I started life with a single 20 bore, I believe il finish life with close to the same. I can say ive owned used hunted with been issued carried on duty in harm's way just about everything imaginable from the cheapest simplest to the very expensive complicated you name it.
This weekend my son was over he had an issue with his expensive O/U an Italian Rizinni shotgun we gave him at some milestone in life. I took to,teach how to take apart and we repaired minor problem with one I,ternal hammer. We found ourselves discussing the goodness of the old inexpensive American singles. And revealed he did not have one ?????? So, yeehaw we headed to town to Bubbad pawn to do some trading, we left with 3 jr got an HR 20, and a nef 12, I slid an NEF 12 in the mix(for project ive pondered several years). Whew sorry so,long back story. To get to, I finally have the 12 bore for my eastern woodsman tool set. I made it 100% no mistake mine over the last 24 hours, ive order 2 adapters(a 20 bore and a .22magnum) I made a 209 adapter myself. And believe for my region this will be the best all around wood mountain walkin huntin campin companion. In the buttstock fit 3 shells for emergency a slug, a #4 turkey load, and a 7.5 bird, along with the 209 adapter for blavkpowder if ever needed.
Im not artistic or crafty gifted but I wanted a one off similar to,others ive seen. So I added some furniture taks and a piece of trade silver from my stash. Ive written all this to realize my pics need compressing aaarrrggghhhh. Uno momento I shall return

Last edited:
Yes I'm quite anxious to,receive the 12 to 20,and mostly the 12 to 22 magnum adapters. Of,course will review in detail

really nice coloring on that receiver. I have one nearly just like it. Started as my wifes stepdads .410. Later, I sent it to Remington in Ilion NY to have them fit a 20 gauge, 12 gauge, and 357/38 barrel to it. It's one of my "jack of all trades" guns. If you can't shoot it or kill it with that gun, you better leave it alone.

I mainly wanted the 410,20 and 12 gauge barrels so my youngest son could grow with it and it served its' purpose quiet well with that. He has graduated to any shotgun he wants now. It's the same gun in the picture that I emailed you where he got the large turkey with it in 410. When he as 7. :)

@John A. your boy completed the task most "pro" turkey hunters try to accomplish later in career taking a turkey with the .410. at 7 no less. Modern times are amusing while I appreciate many modern things and advances I truly love the old ways.

Not meaning to hijack the topic, but my son got that turkey because I didn't tell him he couldn't do it.

I didn't instill the doubt in the back of his mind that there was anything wrong with using the 410 because an ounce of 6 shot is an ounce of 6 shot no matter what you launch if from.

I showed him roughly where I thought the end of his range would be and asked him not to shoot if they were farther than that, and they happened along about 20 yards out and he put it down with the first shot while he was leaning behind an old deadfall with his barrel propped up over one of its' limbs just like Daniel Boone would've done it ;)

He watched them come down the right side of the ridge *we were on the left side near the property line and they went behind us and eventually worked their way back up the hill to where we were and walked within 15 feet of our right where we were sitting and he was as still as a statue. When the one he was watching got in front of him, that was all it wrote.

He had been practicing with that gun the biggest part of the whole year and was tearing up pop cans and whatever else we could find laying around and he knew how to shoot the gun, and obviously did his part when the time came.

Not telling you anything that you don't already know, but that's how you teach kids. Or really anyone for that matter.

As he got older and physically stronger and able to move up to the 20 and finally the 12, he already knew how to shoot. It was just a matter of physically being able to shoot bigger stuff without hurting him.

FWIW, I hunted with a 410 for a couple of years before I graduated to my old trusty 16 gauge stevens single shot (the terror of the southern side of pine mountain) and other than teaching you how to stalk in closer to what you're hunting is not really a bad thing either because it helps teach you patience and skills in how to stalk better, I actually like a 410.

And I guess to get back on subject, I like how single shot fixed choke guns shoot anyway. As I said earlier, if you can't shoot or kill it with one of them, it's best to just leave it alone.

I didn't know that a shell would fit in the stock though. That's not a bad idea really for a work gun. I have a couple of 22's that I keep a cigarette lighter and a handful of shells inside the stock for the same reason.

Oh we aint,done folks not by a fer piece yet, lots to do. We already did the basic bird shot, and a couple slugs yesterday all good as expected, nothing yall havent,seen. But now I made a 209 primer "adapter" just a spent shell trimmed off and deprimed. Primed and loaded in breech, then just like a smoke pole 100grn of black powder Eq, and 100grn of #7 and some pebbles ?? Wading between each I,used some old toy stuffing. kaboom !!! Yup, works good dead dove id,say counted 10 hits on him at 25 yards, note target without,bird open area in pattern is where bird was , 0122191708.jpg 0122191714.jpg 0122191716.jpg 0122191731.jpg 0122191732a.jpg we will be experimenting with various projectiles and,ranges for the fun of it. Cause I can basically and I keep getting left unattended.

I grew up hunting with a single shot. its amazing how fast one can become reloading by holding shels in the wedges between the fingers.

I am not as proficient with it now but I still have the old Winchester youth model of my youth.

Yup. :) If you look at my middle pic above, you can see that no two case-hardened are colored the same (I think).

Yep and that's one of the reasons why I like them so well.

Bydv0tE.jpg

Yes sir, it's a 357/38. The one I was referring to earlier.

I'm pretty sure that @nitesite might know a little about that too.

They're almost chambered as deep as 357 maximum. But I'm afraid to rent a reamer for it because I don't want to kill the ability to use 38 from such a long jump from the case to the lands because all 38's are inherently subsonic and I don't want to lose that ability.

I know, old video, I need to get some fresh footage.

Back