• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mystery Ring

Not_A_Llama

Copper BB
Hey all,

While preparing my shotgun for matches this weekend, I noticed that my barrel wasn't sliding back onto the mag tube. After some fiddling, this ring popped out from the piston spring area:

kfDBK.jpg

After it came out, the barrel mounts fine again.

I've seen this ring referenced a couple times before, but I can't find where it goes. Will my shotgun function without it? I'd send it back to Mossberg, but competitions this weekend await.

The gun in general has been a frustration, but I'd be happy if I could just make it past this weekend.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Not_A_Llama !!

Yes, that O-ring is essential to the functioning of the shotgun...please post which model and I'm sure your question will be answered.

I wouldn't characterize it as an "o-ring", as it's composed of metal (vs. elastomer in the traditional sense of the term)

The gun is a 930SPX...

I will try and grab a picture of where this ring goes.

Not mystery ring!! its part of the inside gas piston ring. Take a thin bladed flat head screwdriver and pop off the outer ring at the split. Then install inner ring with beveled side out. Both rings should snap back into place on the piston itself. Trust me your gonna need this ring, unless there's one already in it. Weirder things have happen from the Mossberg factory. :eek: :eek: :eek:

930spx.jpg

No, it's definitely not part of the piston. I have a known good spare here, and it lacks it. It's not one of the inner or outer piston rings, if that's what you're thinking - way too thin.

Figured it out with a borrowed barrel:

a1k4A.jpg

I'm pretty confident the gun would still have functioned. I'll experiment and find out for sure after the match this weekend.

Good thing to know that little split ring is in there. Funny how it pops out of your spx like that :?: :?:

Disturbing that there aren't really any exploded-view diagrams out there showing the guts of the assembly.

Maybe typical of the 930 experience - half baked, quarter documented. Support? Be glad there's the community.

post up and let us know how your spx functions with or without that split ring. BTW good luck with your match this weekend. :cool:

Back