• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

National Sheriffs Association - Official Position

GunnyGene

Racist old man
BANNED
The NSA official position on Gun Control:

2013-1

WHEREAS, the elected Sheriff is recognized throughout the United States as the chief local law enforcement officer and is directly accountable to the people through the electoral process; and

WHEREAS, all sheriffs take an oath of office to enforce and defend the United States Constitution and state constitution and laws; and

WHEREAS, a primary mission of sheriffs is to ensure public safety; and

WHEREAS, gun safety is vitally important to our nation’s public health and the 3,080 sheriffs of this nation; and

WHEREAS, the cause of violence, including gun violence, must be addressed on many fronts, including improved mental health treatment, media violence, drugs, gangs, breakdown of the family, strengthening laws that prevent or reduce the access of legally prohibited persons to
firearms and vigorous enforcement of existing laws; and

WHEREAS, the National Sheriffs’ Association represents the interests of all sheriffs who are sworn to support and defend the United States Constitution; and

WHEREAS, sheriffs strongly support our citizens’ protected right to bear arms under the Second Amendment and the National Sheriffs’ Association does not support any laws that deprive any citizen of the rights provided under the Constitution and Bill of Rights; and

WHEREAS, the doctrine of judicial review grants to the United States Supreme Court and the lower courts the power to determine the constitutionality of any law and sheriffs do not possess the legal authority to interpret the constitutionality of any law;

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, the National Sheriffs’ Association supports the rights conferred by the Second Amendment and further recognizes the ultimate authority of the courts in interpreting the scope of those constitutional rights.

More: http://www.sheriffs.org/content/nsa-pos ... un-control

Yes, I'm seeing this stance across the country with the Sheriff Dept's. Unlike the appointed offices of police dept's. There is a stark constrast.

A lot of people think that Sheriffs only patrol rural areas but not so in Ohio. The Hamilton Co. S.O. is located in downtown Cincinnati and shares responsibility with the Cincy PD and Ohio Highway Patrol. They make strange bedfellows...

OhioArcher said:
Yes, I'm seeing this stance across the country with the Sheriff Dept's. Unlike the appointed offices of police dept's. There is a stark constrast.

A lot of people think that Sheriffs only patrol rural areas but not so in Ohio. The Hamilton Co. S.O. is located in downtown Cincinnati and shares responsibility with the Cincy PD and Ohio Highway Patrol. They make strange bedfellows...

It sucks that the sheriff (Adrian Garcia) where I live (Harris County, TX) supports Obama's gun control agenda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tomservo92 said:
OhioArcher said:

It sucks that the sheriff (Adrian Garcia) where I live (Harris County, TX) supports Obama's gun control agenda.

Yeah…..in general the Sheriffs been anti Fed, my Sheriff’s office is fixing to lay off 66…...I know they are blaming the Federal Gov for several reasons that affect their budget.
Neighboring county already had to lay off all but 3 sheriffs, that’s 1700 square miles that have to keep the peace in……Needles to say crime has got worse, but they back up of law abiding gun toting citizens, makes their job a little easier……that was a huge reason that Sheriff Gilbertson’s letter to the White House said ”not only will we not enforce any Federally imposed weapons ban, the Josephine Co Sheriffs and citizens won’t let Federal Agents enforce them either” they need us as much as we need them, I have been personally told this

From what I have gathered from the police personel that seem like they are in the shadows…..they have to be so they don’t get fired but ALL that I have talked to from city cops to staters support us on the 2A level although they can’t be as vocal as the Sheriffs about it.
We stopped and talked to these guys at the rally……
IMG_1155_zpsd48fe5ce.jpg

They weren’t required to attend to keep the peace, although that was the official reason they stopped by, they told us to think of them as attendees, they were great guys but have to be much more careful than an elected official

I took this pic of my partner from behind, more for the brass in the window lol, the state police directly in front and to the left of him weren’t assigned to the rally either, they said the guys on the steps were the only ones assigned to the rally, you can see them in the pic too
IMG_1154_zps9c1ae23a.jpg

We will have local PD as well as county Sheriffs at the rally tomorrow. I may make it a point to speak to them. All of the motorcycle Troopers that come in (we service their bikes) are behind the 2A. A couple know we will buy raffle tickets for guns for the benefit of a Sheriff KIA during a stop stick maneuver.

But the question comes down to what will they do if ordered to confiscate and enforce federal mandates...

Nice Archer, talk to them, they feel better when we talk to them instead of staring them down trying to figure out what they are doing. The ones I talked to wished they could stand in their civies with a rifle on their backs, they are allies. I just approach them with some off the wall remark to break the ice and make them smile at me.

oli700 said:
Nice Archer, talk to them, they feel better when we talk to them instead of staring them down trying to figure out what they are doing. The ones I talked to wished they could stand in their civies with a rifle on their backs, they are allies. I just approach them with some off the wall remark to break the ice and make them smile at me.

It ain't easy sometimes, keeping my comments and deep personal convictions private. Thank you for understanding.

nitesite said:
oli700 said:

It ain't easy sometimes, keeping my comments and deep personal convictions private. Thank you for understanding.
I know the score my brother. Continue being smart about it, anyone who has any question isn’t worth your time anyway. I am willing to bet there are even regular people who have to be quiet for now because the powers to be for them will ruin their life.
I understand, although I push the envelope.....you know where I work, I wore my OFF shirt proud to work a couple times. I got a girl "I can’t believe you wore that to work!" I said " what? does the rifle have an exposed penis I didn’t see ?" lol, she has a conceal carry and I am her main avenue for info on this so I won’t get fired lol.....I do know policy well and am not violating any... I do push it to the grey area sometimes, but you know me lol

OhioArcher said:

I live in Medina County. The last Sheriff we had was very Pro Second Amendment. The new elected Sheriff was the old Sheriff’s Captain. He seems to be Second Amendment friendly as well.

Where I live, we have a small local P.D. but it’s not uncommon to see the Sheriff’s Dept. and Troopers driving around. I am truly happy years ago, I found that hole in the fence in Cuyahoga County and escaped. :D

tomservo92 said:

That does suck. I'm happy to have left Houston (where I grew up) for near Huntsville in Walker County.

KDF-TX said:
tomservo92 said:

That does suck. I'm happy to have left Houston (where I grew up) for near Huntsville in Walker County.

I left Hardin County three years ago to move to Houston. One of the Hardin County deputies was a classmate of mine and he is definitely pro-2A. It's the one of the few things I miss about living there.

Back