• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

National Vietnam War Veterans Day, March 29th

Ernst

.30-06
"Philanthropist"
Vietnam Veterans Day commemorates the sacrifices of Vietnam veterans and their families and is part of a national effort to recognize the men and women who were denied a proper welcome upon returning home more than 45 years ago.

The Vietnam War Veterans Recognition Act, signed into law on Tuesday, March 28, 2017, designates March 29 of each year as National Vietnam War Veterans Day. On that day in 1973, the last combat troops were withdrawn from Vietnam and the last prisoners of war held in North Vietnam arrived on American soil. It is also the date President Nixon chose for the first Vietnam Veterans Day in 1974.

I hope each of you will take a moment to view the attached video "The Eagle Cried" which really tells the story of how the returning soilders were treated. And, more importantly, take a moment this coming week to thank a Vietnam Era Veteran for his or her service and simply say "Welcome Home".

To all my brothers and sisters whose names are on The Wall and those who risk having their names there, Thank You for Your Service and God Bless.

Regards

Last edited:
Today, March 29th, is National Vietnam War Veterans Day recognizing those who severed our country between 1955 and 1975. Today there are some 610,000 veterans alive who served on the land and in the air over Vietnam plus 164,000 who served aboard ships in Vietnam waters. Unfortuantly, our Vietnam Veterans are dying at an estimated rate of 390 per day. Many still suffer from the scars of war including exposure to Agent Orange.

The attached video tells the story of those who served in Vietnam. They discussed every aspect of their service from their initial induction and training, to first landing in country, surviving the first three months as a new guy, recounting the horrors of war and death of brothers and sisters, and how they were treated when they came home. It is both emotional and enlightening.

Many of you may be to young to remember the Vietnam War but this video really tells the story from the viewpoint of those who served. Please thank a Vietnam veteran for his or her service on this special day.

I remember coming home from school my high school years and watching the evening news. Always, the war in Vietnam was on. Back then the videos were from a day or so previous. This was also during the continuous troop buildup. This was something young men had to look forward to in the 60s.

Fast forward.

I was going to be drafted in 1969, so. I joined the Air Force. I never left the USA and got out in 1973. To this day I stand humbled and in awe of those that went to Vietnam. I have friends over the years that served "in country". Some have confided in me, others just weren't able. If they chose to I listened. If they chose not to I respected that. Those men are heroes to me. 58,000 made the ultimate sacrifice, hopefully for betterment of mankind.

There were times over the years I wished I had been there to know the real truth as to what happened, to have actually lived it myself. As the movie depicts those 12 months changed and shaped their lives forever. You see grown men in their 70s crying while recounting the memories, not so much about the actual fighting, but the memories of their brothers dying and horribly wounded. I shed tears watching that. Now, in my later years, I'm not so sure I could have survived and or held up the way those men have.

Those guys were all young men, 18,19,20 years old when they were sent half way around the world to fight in the jungles of Southeast Asia. I did see how they were treated when they came home, and it was not just or right. Fortunately that has changed for the most part.

Anyways, this is not meant to be about me. This really is a profound movie . Also, the things going on in this country today by people that have never served, or maybe were even the ones spitting and throwing garbage 45-50 years ago just frost my balls.

To the heroes of Vietnam and all of the other theaters, I humbly and in awe salute you.

Today, March 29th, is National Vietnam War Veterans Day recognizing those who severed our country between 1955 and 1975. Today there are some 610,000 veterans alive who served on the land and in the air over Vietnam plus 164,000 who served aboard ships in Vietnam waters. Unfortuantly, our Vietnam Veterans are dying at an estimated rate of 390 per day. Many still suffer from the scars of war including exposure to Agent Orange.

The attached video tells the story of those who served in Vietnam. They discussed every aspect of their service from their initial induction and training, to first landing in country, surviving the first three months as a new guy, recounting the horrors of war and death of brothers and sisters, and how they were treated when they came home. It is both emotional and enlightening.

Many of you may be to young to remember the Vietnam War but this video really tells the story from the viewpoint of those who served. Please thank a Vietnam veteran for his or her service on this special day.

Ernst, thank you so much.

Back